The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: plastic crate vs dog box

You will be find with the plastic crate if you are smart about it...

Thanks guys ill get some of those fans and some tieout stakes I really appreciate all the advice

Jerrod you can also look on craigslist there are a few for sale there that are not as expensive as a new one. Check out St. Louis and the Jonesboro craigslist there are a couple list there.

I use a wire crate... lots more air flow and you can get them similar in cost to a plastic crate.
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tome View Post
    I use a wire crate... lots more air flow and you can get them similar in cost to a plastic crate.
    I agree with this. But also get one of those pop up canopy so you can make shade anywhere. If you have the electrical system for it a power inverter and a 3 speed box fan will push a lot more air than the litter ones you hang on the crate. Just be sure you watch you battery. I was able to keep 2 dogs cool in the back of a black pick up with a black cap on a sunny day with no shade. Had the dogs in wire crates and put on a platform I made to life them higher in the truck bed, and store stuff underneath. With the fan blowing on medium, I would come back to the truck to see them sleeping and breathing very slow and relaxed.

Eventually I got a white pickup, but fans and shade is priceless.
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Lebanon, OH

Tie outs are great, just dont use the car bumper!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HbBL62IiRE
    Erik B.

I think I have a couple of extra fans sitting around. Let me double check and if they work, I would be happy to send them to you.

I have a 4 hole trailer with a four wheeler pad. Insulated boxes with fan. But, a gas mileage killer! If I don't need the 4 wheeler, I use plastic crates with the box fan- buy an extra deep cycle marine battery! Also have the pop up and stake outs. In the winter months I have insulated kennel covers. Mud River's are the best. So, the dog's are fine environmentally. Theft is another matter. I worry if we are in a restaurant or store long. If a motel won't allow dogs, I don't feel comfortable leaving them in the crate overnight.

But, you don't have to spend 2 or 3 grand on a box. There are nice diamond plate aluminum available used from $400 to new for $1500. Stainless is nice if one can afford it and is willing to spend that much, but the diamond plate is fine. Get it and when you get out of school splurge on the stainless. You won't loose much money on the old box.
    "When a man is proud of his dog and shows it, I like him. When his dog is proud of him and shows it, I deeply respect him. Gene Hill

Quote Originally Posted by NateB View Post
    I agree with this. But also get one of those pop up canopy so you can make shade anywhere. If you have the electrical system for it a power inverter and a 3 speed box fan will push a lot more air than the litter ones you hang on the crate. Just be sure you watch you battery. I was able to keep 2 dogs cool in the back of a black pick up with a black cap on a sunny day with no shade. Had the dogs in wire crates and put on a platform I made to life them higher in the truck bed, and store stuff underneath. With the fan blowing on medium, I would come back to the truck to see them sleeping and breathing very slow and relaxed.

Eventually I got a white pickup, but fans and shade is priceless.
    This is what I do except for the box fan. My fan is a cheapy walmart camping fan that cost $15 and has made it two years. Something else I've seen and thought about doing is getting some of the silver reflective fabric and put it over the topper shell and clipped to the wheel wheels with spring clips. I even met a guy who got one from a nursery that was woven so air could get through it, but he said it was expensive.
    Joe Dickerson

R.I.P. 4xGMPR HRCH Hunters Marsh Jack Daniels Bubba Jazz MH
    Call Name: JD

Another shade option is the EZ up type shelters. Pop it up, slide it over the bed of the truck. Instant shade wherever you happen to be parked.