The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: orijen large breed puppy

Default orijen large breed puppy

Seems real high in protein,38/16, how do pups do on it stool wise and growth wise?

Quote Originally Posted by Gotta Lotta Zoom View Post
    Seems real high in protein,38/16, how do pups do on it stool wise and growth wise?
    I was on it for 3 weeks and never saw a solid stool switched to Eukanuba and formed right up. I think you need to be very careful when feeding as looking back I was probably feeding too much...
    HPK's A Warriors Call "Titan"
    HPK's Every Shot Counts (Ammo)

I have a pup that has been on it for 5 weeks now (13 week old BLF). Soft stools during the transition of Iams Puppy (what the breeder fed her) to Orijen. Her stools are now well formed but are still somewhat soft. Sometimes she excretes some unformed soft stool at the end. She seems to be doing fine on the food and I will continue to feed it to her. You may need to give it a week or so in transition and start by only giving about 20% of Orijen and increase by an increments of 20% once your dog adjusts to the diet change.

Check out Acana, not quite as hot. I'm feeding wild prairie to my 10 week old and he's doing very well. I chose the wild prairie because its lower in calcium. (1.5)

company that makes Orijen also makes Acana

I looked at it online and was leaning towards acana but i couldnt find the puppy food. Where you getting yours at?

I have not heard of Orijen Dog Food? Do they have any longterm research facilities or any track record? Do they sponser any of our dog trial activities? Just asking cause I have not heard of them. Living in Alaska is sort of like living under a rock? Don

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Don Lietzau View Post
    I have not heard of Orijen Dog Food? Do they have any longterm research facilities or any track record? Do they sponser any of our dog trial activities? Just asking cause I have not heard of them. Living in Alaska is sort of like living under a rock? Don
    No, no track record, no testing kennel and they have had 4 very serious recalls.

If you wanna spend more, Dr. Tim's, Annamaet and Red Paw are your best bets. Champion dogs of all kinds eat those three.

Quote Originally Posted by SpinRetriever View Post
    No, no track record, no testing kennel and they have had 4 very serious recalls.
    How recent were these recalls. I've been feeding champion foods for the last three years and have never heard of one. The only problem I've had is when the manufacturing plant had a kitchen fire and they had to cut back until they got kitchen back to full strength. As for the stool, you'll want to feed a considerable amount less than you would with a commercial food. With the quality of ingredients there foods are more calorie dense per cup. I fed Parker about 2 cups a day to start and then bumped him to 3 after two weeks of solid stool. I now feed the Orijen 6 fish, I'm feeding 3 cups a day and I have small stools to pick up.

I looked on Dog Food Advisor's list of Dog Food Recalls that goes back to 10/4/2009 and didn't see any listed for Orijen. http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recalls/

Quote Originally Posted by SpinRetriever View Post

If you wanna spend more, Dr. Tim's, Annamaet and Red Paw are your best bets. Champion dogs of all kinds eat those three.
    According to their website, they have never had a recall.