The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Miles On a Young Dog

Default Miles On a Young Dog

I cannot seem to find the thread about "how far is too far" and I wanted to review some of the answers people posed so I thought I'd start a new thread. I wanted the experienced members of the forum, Dennis if you have time, or Dr. Ed, to weigh in not only on running long marks with a young dog but yard work as well. It was mentioned a dog running 3 marks of 150, 250 and 350, or so, doing the math thats only 1500 yards. Thats only 8 sends to the back pile of the TT, not hard to do at all, especially in the cool part of the year. I have a dog that will be turning 6 months in February so we'll be beginning yard work while the ground is still frozen. So should a guy watch how much running a dog does in yardwork as well, and any more or the same as on frozen ground?
    Daren Galloway

Anybody? Anyone have miles/day guidelines for a pup? Keep it under X yards or something like that?
    Daren Galloway

Most dogs growth plates do not close until they are at least 1 yr old. I don't think anyone can give you exact yardage or miles, but if you start FF and CC around 6-7 months, your dog will probably be doing TT between 9-11 months. If you are going to be running on hard ground (frozen), you might want to think about shortening up your TT a bit and/or not running every day. I know that AKC does not allow dogs under 1 yr of age to run agility trials and international organizations like USDAA have an 18 month rule. It also depends on the size/maturity of your dog. Some young smaller field bitches mature more quickly and with their lighter bone and increased ability to handle running and turning, the possibility of damage may be less. I currently have a 9 month old golden male who grew quickly and weighs about 75 lbs. I would not run him on a TT at this time as he is not physically mature and is still clumsy about turning and stopping quickly. I think you have to assess your dog's physical maturity as well as attitude and be ready to back off if he/she seems a bit sour. You also have to remember that many young field dogs have no sense of self preservation and will do things that will hurt them. Some of these things will haunt them for the rest of their life, so you also have to determine if getting drills done at a very young age is best for them. There are many other drills that can be done to help with handling and lining concepts that won't take such a toll on your dog's legs.

Hopefully others will weigh in as this is a good topic. Previously I had read where someone stated they had 3 dogs that were thru swimbye by 8 months and my thoughts were "I wonder how long it will take for those poor devils to break down physically".

Dawn
    Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HRCH WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC; Adirondac Tracks in the Wilderness

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

I have never worried about how far my young dogs run. Never even thought about till these threads started popping up here. I just think it's more a matter of conditioning. If the dog is worked daily and gradually increased and conditioned to longer runs it's no big deal. I have never had a problem with any dogs to date from running too much. I think running and exercise builds a dog rather than tears it down. Of coarse a little common sense is a good idea.
    Personally I think people are a little over protective now days. When I was a kid I used to do lots of things on my bike that would be taboo now, never wore a helmet. Now days kids cant ride their bike half a block to grandmas house without wearing a helmet.

Steve - a dog running around is different than a dog being sent for bumpers. I hike my dogs from 8 weeks on for an hour every morning. They get to run, jump, whatever, but they do it at their pace. My dogs are all very well conditioned. However, sending repeatedly for marks/blinds on hard ground is very tough on young growing bones. And again, it depends on the dog. My females are smaller, lighter and much more manuverable than my males were at the same age. It is a matter of common sense, but young dogs dont' have much and we have to be their advocates.
    PS I also come from the generation that did not wear bike helmets and think it odd that kids can't ride around the block without one on.
    dawn
    Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HRCH WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC; Adirondac Tracks in the Wilderness

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

My opinion is pretty much like Steve's.
    More of a concern for me has always been the jumping in a kennel run - NOT ALLOWED here. In and out of vehicles is also regulated.
    Discipline is no excuse for a lack of enthusiasm !!

Quote Originally Posted by mostlygold View Post
    Steve - a dog running around is different than a dog being sent for bumpers. I hike my dogs from 8 weeks on for an hour every morning. They get to run, jump, whatever, but they do it at their pace. My dogs are all very well conditioned. However, sending repeatedly for marks/blinds on hard ground is very tough on young growing bones. And again, it depends on the dog. My females are smaller, lighter and much more manuverable than my males were at the same age. It is a matter of common sense, but young dogs dont' have much and we have to be their advocates.
    PS I also come from the generation that did not wear bike helmets and think it odd that kids can't ride around the block without one on.
    dawn

As with any aspect of training the dogs tell me what they can do. From 8 weeks on my pups are chasing bumpers and doing marks as well as doing hikes and running and playing on there own. Distance depends on the dog. Have had dogs as young as 5 months doing marks out to 2 or 250 yds. Not all marks are that far but if they can do it I will let them. Have not seen any physical problems develope because of it. actually their ability to mark dictates distance for me more than anything else.
    Have 4 of them laying here now ages 1, 4, 7 and 13 as well as countless others raised that way, no problems. Wouldnt do it if it caused problems. 13 yr old would still do a 300 yd mark if I let him but I know better. This is where common sense comes into play. I wont over do anything with any dog of any age. Just my experience.
    Last edited by Steve Shaver; 11-05-2014 at 09:38 PM.