The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training in the Dark

Default Training in the Dark

It's dark when I go to work. It's dark when I get home.

I bought an LED (lighted) collar (dirt cheap on line). There is a street light on the property.
    I try to work near that light and with the collar, I can keep track of an otherwise impossible to see dog. We obviously don't make 200 yard retrieves but I can put his energy into a little practice.

Any other tricks for training in the dark?

My first thought was that the thread title pretty much described much of my training history. In the dark as clueless, rather than lightless.
    IMO many amateur trainers - and I include myself - don't spend sufficient time on the basics and rush on the more fun field exercises. There are plenty of basic obedience drills you can do in a limited space. As well as wagon wheel and simple casting drills. Those are good for dogs of any age and will pay off when it comes time for the big marks and blinds.
    Good luck with your pup.

Where I am , city parks are lit up. I know of fenced in baseball fields that can be used.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

They make glow in the dark bumpers.

Truck headlights for longer marks?

I also do some training just in the house and really try to hammer the obedience when it's too dark out to train well.

I use a large church parking lot with lights. Empty most evenings so we can do drill work. Also has long grassy medians to we can work on longer things in the grass.

Quote Originally Posted by somewhereinhouston View Post
    I use a large church parking lot with lights. Empty most evenings so we can do drill work. Also has long grassy medians to we can work on longer things in the grass.
    I've always wondered about parking lots being hard on retriever joints...there may be a cumulative effect that is not obvious, but could result in a chronic injury years later?
    ... I know as a runner I avoid pavement for that reason.

I'm lucky because I can train in packed snow all winter long....given a choice I prefer to train on a relatively soft surface like grass or packed snow instead of pavement.

Would not make it a habit of running a dog on pavement or concrete, especially a hard running dog. Not only do you have the constant joint abuse, you risk ripped or blistered pads from stopping, not only on whistles but abrupt stops for marks you would also risk chipped teeth from the dog , dogs gab and go, concrete and teeth, not good.

Good luck
    How The West was Won ( Colt)
    Delilahs Addicted to Mischief ( Delilah) My Jammin little girl
    Extreme Dixies Rebel Yell ( Dixie ) JH
    Dawsons Little Sable (Sable) 12 /08 - 5/14 , We'll hunt again someday girl.

St. Thomas, the great doctor and theologian, warns about the proper use of animals, lest they appear at the final Judgment against us: and God himself will take vengeance on all who misuse his creatures.

You guys are right about parking lots. I only work on wagon wheel lining and casting on the parking lot (short distances) Everything else is done in the grassy medians. The sessions are short (10/15minutes on concrete) and another 10 to 15 in the medians. Also only a couple of times a week. This didn't start until after daylight savings time ended. By the end of January it stays light late enough for me to stop. The is the first time I have done this and I will continue to look for another way train but for now this is what I have
    Last edited by somewhereinhouston; 12-16-2014 at 08:09 PM.

Another suggestion, is that you should wear something reflective or carry a flashlight as well, in case you need to step away from the glow of that streetlight.

Last month, my hubby and I were out in the yard with all the kids and our big Chessie Male. It was dark already (It's always dark by 5 here in the winter). He was retrieving for my hubby...fun bumpers and playing with the kids. Hubby had a flashlight but I didn't and I have a black parka. Needless to say, I wandered about 8 - 10 feet from my hubby and happened to get in between the bumper and hubby. The kids were playing and I was distracted. The dog came back running full bore and caught me in the leg and knocked my feet out from under me so hard that I was literally horizontal before I hit the ground. OUCH! I could barely move for a minute and our big chessie acted like nothing happened, lol.

Needless to say...I try to always light myself up at least a little bit now at dark. I think our boy was just so excited, and it was too dark and I blended in with the trees...

Quote Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
    Another suggestion, is that you should wear something reflective or carry a flashlight as well, in case you need to step away from the glow of that streetlight.

Last month, my hubby and I were out in the yard with all the kids and our big Chessie Male. It was dark already (It's always dark by 5 here in the winter). He was retrieving for my hubby...fun bumpers and playing with the kids. Hubby had a flashlight but I didn't and I have a black parka. Needless to say, I wandered about 8 - 10 feet from my hubby and happened to get in between the bumper and hubby. The kids were playing and I was distracted. The dog came back running full bore and caught me in the leg and knocked my feet out from under me so hard that I was literally horizontal before I hit the ground. OUCH! I could barely move for a minute and our big chessie acted like nothing happened, lol.

Needless to say...I try to always light myself up at least a little bit now at dark. I think our boy was just so excited, and it was too dark and I blended in with the trees...
    Excellent point!

We are down to less than 4 hours of daylight in Alaska, so all my labs have flashing lights on their collars when we go cross country skiing on the trails.

Here is the brand I like:
    http://www.ruffwear.com/The-Beacon-Safety-Light
    (on sale now at sierra trading post!
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ruf...light~p~8059t/)