The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intestine twsiting (mesenteric torsion) ???

Glad to hear your dog is getting better. Thank you for describing the chain of events, I'm sure that isn't easy. My wife and I observed my old dog with very similar behavior last week. It came out of now where and she acted like this for approximately 30 min, I was getting call the vet and she snapped out of it. If this happens again I'll get her to the vet asap and can let him know what to possibly look for. Again, thank you.

Keith

Jen

Wow you were very lucky Alex was in the truck with you and not in a kennel in the back or a trailer. I may not have noticed anything as quickly as you. After reading those above who lost dogs to this it sounds like you just happened to be in the right place at he right time. Had him with you, noticed about as soon as possible, followed up with a vet (I think many might have taken the wait and see attitude), found a vet, got lucky and were able to get him to an emergency vet who had knowledge of this condition.
    Anyone can be good if they try, but lucky is another thing. Many times it is better to be lucky than good, but it looks like yo happened to have the perfect balance between the two.
    Hope Alex continues to a full recovery.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

I don't know that you're going to find any answers as far as the how/why/will it happen again. I've never heard of a dog surviving to have a second opportunity.

Thank god you picked up on the symptoms so quickly. I'm sure that saved his life.
    Natalie Fraser, DVM
    Trifecta Labradors

Home to my heart dog, Hudson:
    Am/Can Ch. Marshyhope's Satisfaction, CGC, WC, CDX, RE, JH

Is there any indication of what could cause this? It is hard to imagine an intestine just up and twisting around if there was not an injury or foreign body. This is tickling a memory I have of a poster on RTF losing a dog this way. As I recall though, the necropsy showed fishing line twisted around the intestine??? Or is it possible this could happen in a bad fall or twist? Anyway to the OP, I am so happy that you still have your dog and were able to post this as a positive learning experience.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Mesenteric torsion is not just a simple twist in the intestine. It occurs when the the entire GI tract twists around at its root, where the blood, lymph and ligaments attach. Blood supply to the entire tract is completely occluded and tissue death occurs a mere 5 minutes after the twist.

http://web-dvm.net/mesenterictorsion.html
    Kathleen

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you're not, in fact, just surrounded by a**holes" -William Gibson

They are associated with intussception, EPI, and a variety of other GI diseases but there is no direct cause and effect relationship. Notwithstanding, since the survival rate is so poor, I doubt there are many opportunities to find out if there was another disease present (unless its something very obvious, like a big whopping tumor). There was a paper looking at EPI and rates of mesenteric torsion- both are considered over-represented in German Shepherd Dogs.
    Natalie Fraser, DVM
    Trifecta Labradors

Home to my heart dog, Hudson:
    Am/Can Ch. Marshyhope's Satisfaction, CGC, WC, CDX, RE, JH

Again thanks for the responses - if anyone talks to their vets and they have ANY input please ask them to email me - MuddyPaws@me.com - I also have pictures and short videos of Alex as it was happening before we reached the emergency vet....

Be safe

One of my personal dogs had 48" THATS CORRECT (forty eight inches) of her small intestine removed on November 18th 2012. This is completely uncharted territory for my vet staff, 4 vets close to 100 years of practice. At this point we are fighting what we hope is a bacterial infection of the GI tract, and not some other more serious side effect of this. If you would like to discuss further give me a call.
    Discipline is no excuse for a lack of enthusiasm !!