The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Release/Command Word

I use "ok" also, although I've heard a lot of people use "free" because it isn't as common in everyday conversation.
    I use "wait" frequently, such as not bolting out the door ahead of me or getting too far ahead of me when we are walking, but not heeling. It's a loose command, doesn't require precision, but gets the job done.
    My boy has to dance for his dinner. I know, I know, that's mean. But he's always done a little "dinner dance" since he was a young pup and we get such a kick out of it it's become a requirement.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

I use "ok" as well. The other commonly used command that has somewhat fallen by the wayside is "hie on".

To release my guy from any command outside of the field training, I use 'all done'. For marks it is his name, for blinds it is 'dead bird, back'. For honors it is 'sit, no bird'. At dinner time he automatically sits while I get it ready. Once the bowl hits the ground, he looks at me and I tell him 'all done'...he only has to sit for a few seconds before being released, unless he breaks before I tell him, then he has to sit for about 10 seconds (which doesn't happen very often).

I use "go play" to get them off the clock. After my guy bumped the food bowl out of my hands a couple of times, we started sitting and release, better than food everywhere.
    Last edited by Brokengunz; 05-18-2013 at 12:50 PM.

I use "mark" to mean watch for marks, ducks, etc. I use "back" to release on a blind. I use the dog's name to release on a mark. I also used "Go Get 'Em" Or "Get 'Em" to mean you are released o run up to that person or my other (whoever it may be) to get petted or to go play with my other dogs. However, I would HIGHLY recommend you dont do this if you hunt. As a newbie, I learned this the hard way...because for a while, I could not figure out why my steady dog would break everytime we shot ducks and geese....turns out, "Get 'Em" sounds pretty dang close to "Take 'Em!"...wish I would have thought about that before I even started! Hope this will will help atleast one other person!
    Jeremy
    Kankakee River HRC

Jeremy I would've never thought about that but makes sense. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by cocdawg View Post
    My pup won't be home for a few more weeks but as a newbie, I have a question. I'm going to see how the trainer releases/commands and use that way but wanted to hear from people on here as well. I understand that most use pups name on a mark and back on a blind...correct me if I'm wrong...but what do you use to allow pup to eat, walk through a door, come out of kennel, to let them know they no longer have to sit or heel, etc, etc. It was my plan to use OK for everything other than a mark or blind. Is this common? Also, in my short time trying to learn about retrievers and retriever games I've seen some argue over whether or not something is considered a release or command. Am I missing something? Does it really matter whether or not you view it as a release or command?
    I use "all done" for a general release only because "OK" tends to be used in a conversation I may be having and I do not want the pup to release because HUbby and I are chatting and say "OK" . It is not so much the word that is used but being consistant. Just do not use the same thing for different comands. The best example I can give you is the use of "down". Down means lay down, whether drop into a down, lay down whatever. If you want the pup "off" use "off. SUch as off the couch, paws "off" the counter etc. Otherwise you may end up with a dog in a very nice "down" on the couch!
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    I put my dog at sit when filling the bowl. It's not a test or a dominant exercise - I just don't need a big nose of help.
    Mine have to "wait". I don't care if they sit, down or stand but I would like to get the bowl on the floor still full of kibble rather than the lunge for the bowl which results in kibble everywhere!
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

I make all my dogs sit for dinner, and the words they dearly love is " GET IT ". They have to sit calmly for a few seconds and keep eye contact with me before they get their favorite words of the day .

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    I use "all done" for a general release only because "OK" tends to be used in a conversation I may be having and I do not want the pup to release because HUbby and I are chatting and say "OK" . It is not so much the word that is used but being consistant.
    I use OK and I have noticed the same thing - it's very easy to inadvertently say "OK" without meaning to release the dog.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"