The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Release/Command Word

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    I use "all done" for a general release only because "OK" tends to be used in a conversation I may be having and I do not want the pup to release because HUbby and I are chatting and say "OK" .
    Hopefully this isn't the chat:

Honey, please go back to the store and get me some medicated heel pads, they are down by the hose. Make sure you get the mark-down. I need to sit or whoa I'm gonna fall over! OK???
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Okay is what I use. Easy word for them to understand Whatever you use be consistent. Good luck!!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    Pink Lady

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

I release my dogs with the word "Break"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Muggs View Post
    I release my dogs with the word "Break"
    Let me be clear,I use the word break during feeding time or when releasing them to air. I use there names to send them when training.....sorry for any confusion

I use "Get it" on marks...kinda happened by accident but it stuck.

My go play or let loose word are "hie on"...not exactly the correct usage for the terms but it's what my uncle always said to his pointers and I liked the sound of it.

Name on marks. But around the house is OK. But if walking out the door I use easy, which means slow don't go like a wild child.

I use old school "Hie On" as release. No confusion. Back on blinds, name on marks.

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    Hopefully this isn't the chat:

Honey, please go back to the store and get me some medicated heel pads, they are down by the hose. Make sure you get the mark-down. I need to sit or whoa I'm gonna fall over! OK???
    With dogs that also compete in ob we have issues at times with them knowing the drill and releasing themselves when a "judge" says "exercise finished". The most comical command mess up happened years ago when "grandama was visiting and wanted Shadow to "get off" the couch, I grew up with no dogs on the furniture. Dog given the command "down". So Shadow who was sitting on the couch next to her dropped into a down on the couch. She did as told but should have been told "off".
    "Over" is the big one for us. While "over" is a common ob command for jumping I must remember to use "jump".
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Quote Originally Posted by JimB View Post
    To release my guy from any command outside of the field training, I use 'all done'. For marks it is his name, for blinds it is 'dead bird, back'. For honors it is 'sit, no bird'. At dinner time he automatically sits while I get it ready. Once the bowl hits the ground, he looks at me and I tell him 'all done'...he only has to sit for a few seconds before being released, unless he breaks before I tell him, then he has to sit for about 10 seconds (which doesn't happen very often).
    That kind of break draws at least a 3 minute sit stay in my house. The timer gets set. It tends to be the 11 year old that draws the penalty! Even at 11 she is one of those that if you give an inch she will take a mile.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Butt head around the house.
    Come on butthead, instead of heel or here, get out of the closet butt head, come on miss piggy
    When I ask them "do you wanta eat" their teeth start chatering and jump around like kangeroos. i make them atleast put their butts on the ground before setting food bowls down.
    TT to pee and poop and "good dog" or "go play" for release
    This is not advice, just me
    Last edited by Brad; 05-19-2013 at 10:46 AM.