RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Release/Command Word

7K views 30 replies 23 participants last post by  polmaise 
#1 ·
My pup won't be home for a few more weeks but as a newbie, I have a question. I'm going to see how the trainer releases/commands and use that way but wanted to hear from people on here as well. I understand that most use pups name on a mark and back on a blind...correct me if I'm wrong...but what do you use to allow pup to eat, walk through a door, come out of kennel, to let them know they no longer have to sit or heel, etc, etc. It was my plan to use OK for everything other than a mark or blind. Is this common? Also, in my short time trying to learn about retrievers and retriever games I've seen some argue over whether or not something is considered a release or command. Am I missing something? Does it really matter whether or not you view it as a release or command?

#3 ·
I use "OK for a lot of that. I say "release" for dog to let go of the bird and give it to me. in day to day household wanderings a simple "hey stupid" should not be overlooked. as for the allow the pup to eat part, when I set the bowl down it is time. My dogs work hard for me and I do not feel the need to flock with them at supper time. I set the bowls down at each side of kitchen and pick them up a few seconds later. you will here other who do other but I am not a make sit and tease feeder. set the bowl down, pick it back up.

#5 ·
I agree wholeheartedly, I do expect a dance for their diner but that just comes automatically. My release word for “just go be a dog” is also OK.

#4 ·
Ken-I've been the same as you on eating with all my other dogs. I sure as he!! wouldn't want someone doing that with my food. I was just using that as another example to get my point across. Although, several I've talked with are completely sold on making the pup wait until given the word to eat. They think it helps later on. The one release/command word I'm determined to make sure pup understands this time, that I haven't in the past, is not bolting out of the door, kennel, truck until I say so. I've let that slide in the past, only to have it cause problems later in pups life. The other "no-no" I've done in the past is allow pup to jump up on me (b/c of back problems I don't have to bend down) to pet him. Once pup is grown this has become a pain as well. So, I'm going to work on those two from the start. Thanks for all the input thus far!!! I'll check with the trainer closer to time and see what words he uses.

#6 ·
Ken-I've been the same as you on eating with all my other dogs. I sure as he!! wouldn't want someone doing that with my food. I was just using that as another example to get my point across. Although, several I've talked with are completely sold on making the pup wait until given the word to eat.
I put my dog at sit when filling the bowl. It's not a test or a dominant exercise - I just don't need a big nose of help. ;)

#7 ·
My pup won't be home for a few more weeks but as a newbie, I have a question. I'm going to see how the trainer releases/commands and use that way but wanted to hear from people on here as well. I understand that most use pups name on a mark and back on a blind...correct me if I'm wrong...but what do you use to allow pup to eat, walk through a door, come out of kennel, to let them know they no longer have to sit or heel, etc, etc. It was my plan to use OK for everything other than a mark or blind. Is this common? Also, in my short time trying to learn about retrievers and retriever games I've seen some argue over whether or not something is considered a release or command. Am I missing something? Does it really matter whether or not you view it as a release or command?
There is a definite difference between a release and a command.
For instance, on a mark(s) you release the dog to pick up the shot birds that the dog saw shot and hopefully killed.
On a blind retrieve you use the "back" command to tell the dog that it is to go as sent to pick a bird that it did not see shot... a distinct difference in that, when told to do so, there is no allowance for confusion by the dog in obeying this command in the rules.

john

#9 · (Edited)
Well dogs are creatures of habit the more good habits they learn the better and smoother they will translate to the field. Whether you are going for a walk with them, feeding them or having them lay quietly in your home with or with out guest present, good habits are formed by encouraging and teaching the dog the behavior you want. "Keep up your standards" Mike Lardy.

#10 ·
Ok is the release around here. Example, all 3 have to walk at heel until we go around the gate in the driveway. This gives me the chance to check for traffic on the dirt road. If the coast is clear, I give the "ok" and they go charging down the road! As far as feeding I am not a believer in playing games with them by making them wait or taking the bowl away. But I do expect them to sit like gentlemen and not be leaping about and barking. So as I approach with the dish I say "sit" and as I set it down, "ok". No big deal.

#11 ·
I use "ok" also, although I've heard a lot of people use "free" because it isn't as common in everyday conversation.
I use "wait" frequently, such as not bolting out the door ahead of me or getting too far ahead of me when we are walking, but not heeling. It's a loose command, doesn't require precision, but gets the job done.
My boy has to dance for his dinner. I know, I know, that's mean. But he's always done a little "dinner dance" since he was a young pup and we get such a kick out of it it's become a requirement.

#13 ·
To release my guy from any command outside of the field training, I use 'all done'. For marks it is his name, for blinds it is 'dead bird, back'. For honors it is 'sit, no bird'. At dinner time he automatically sits while I get it ready. Once the bowl hits the ground, he looks at me and I tell him 'all done'...he only has to sit for a few seconds before being released, unless he breaks before I tell him, then he has to sit for about 10 seconds (which doesn't happen very often).

#29 ·
That kind of break draws at least a 3 minute sit stay in my house. The timer gets set. It tends to be the 11 year old that draws the penalty! Even at 11 she is one of those that if you give an inch she will take a mile.

#15 ·
I use "mark" to mean watch for marks, ducks, etc. I use "back" to release on a blind. I use the dog's name to release on a mark. I also used "Go Get 'Em" Or "Get 'Em" to mean you are released o run up to that person or my other (whoever it may be) to get petted or to go play with my other dogs. However, I would HIGHLY recommend you dont do this if you hunt. As a newbie, I learned this the hard way...because for a while, I could not figure out why my steady dog would break everytime we shot ducks and geese....turns out, "Get 'Em" sounds pretty dang close to "Take 'Em!"...wish I would have thought about that before I even started! Hope this will will help atleast one other person!

#17 ·
I use "all done" for a general release only because "OK" tends to be used in a conversation I may be having and I do not want the pup to release because HUbby and I are chatting and say "OK" . It is not so much the word that is used but being consistant. Just do not use the same thing for different comands. The best example I can give you is the use of "down". Down means lay down, whether drop into a down, lay down whatever. If you want the pup "off" use "off. SUch as off the couch, paws "off" the counter etc. Otherwise you may end up with a dog in a very nice "down" on the couch!

#20 ·
I use "all done" for a general release only because "OK" tends to be used in a conversation I may be having and I do not want the pup to release because HUbby and I are chatting and say "OK" . It is not so much the word that is used but being consistant.
I use OK and I have noticed the same thing - it's very easy to inadvertently say "OK" without meaning to release the dog.

#21 ·
I use "all done" for a general release only because "OK" tends to be used in a conversation I may be having and I do not want the pup to release because HUbby and I are chatting and say "OK" .
Hopefully this isn't the chat:

Honey, please go back to the store and get me some medicated heel pads, they are down by the hose. Make sure you get the mark-down. I need to sit or whoa I'm gonna fall over! OK???

#28 ·
With dogs that also compete in ob we have issues at times with them knowing the drill and releasing themselves when a "judge" says "exercise finished". The most comical command mess up happened years ago when "grandama was visiting and wanted Shadow to "get off" the couch, I grew up with no dogs on the furniture. Dog given the command "down". So Shadow who was sitting on the couch next to her dropped into a down on the couch. She did as told but should have been told "off".
"Over" is the big one for us. While "over" is a common ob command for jumping I must remember to use "jump".

#19 ·
I make all my dogs sit for dinner, and the words they dearly love is " GET IT ". They have to sit calmly for a few seconds and keep eye contact with me before they get their favorite words of the day .

#24 ·
Let me be clear,I use the word break during feeding time or when releasing them to air. I use there names to send them when training.....sorry for any confusion

#30 · (Edited)
Butt head around the house.
Come on butthead, instead of heel or here, get out of the closet butt head, come on miss piggy
When I ask them "do you wanta eat" their teeth start chatering and jump around like kangeroos. i make them atleast put their butts on the ground before setting food bowls down.
TT to pee and poop and "good dog" or "go play" for release
This is not advice, just me

#31 ·
Whole load a folks don't understand what words I say,so I don't expect the dog to understand them either!..So I just say nothing.
and leave it all up to body signals and the occasional ''yougoddamdumbassdog''.
Never did come across one that understands the complexity of human speech?...Did train one once though to sit on the word 'Bananas'!:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.