The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few pointers on TT please

Default A few pointers on TT please

We have been through FF, CC, FTP, and done the mini T. Now I have a larger TT mowed out back and Gauge understands the game. I have two things that Id like to improve and I could use some constructive advice.
    First, Im not satisfied with his sit. He sits quickly but I want him to turn around and face me. Instead he sits (possibly with his back to me) and looks my direction.
    Second, His run out to the pile is good. Once he picks up a bumper he returns kinda slow, occasionally he will stop and pee. I really believe the stopping to pee is a delay tactic ( I certainly wouldnt deny him the need to relieve himself). Im considering a mild nick or burn to get him motivated to run back to me. A friend had an issue with nicking while his dog carried a bumper and the dog spit it out. I have refrained from collar use while he carries the bumper. This may be the cause of my problem.

This is the place to fix these things. It's great that you recognize these are problems before moving on. What program are you using? First, if you're mowing the whole field, that's fine, but I'd avoid mowing paths for the dog. You're just teaching him to avoid cover. Regarding the crooked sit, give the dog a quick (toot-toot ..... whistle sit) to straighten him up 2 or 3 times. If he sits crooked after that it would be (toot-toot ... nick ... whistle sit) every time he does it. You would use the same correction in the field.

I would absolutely correct a dog for goofing around when coming back with a bumper (like here-nick). If the dog is spitting out bumpers on a correction, go back to the yard and do some collar conditioning on sit and here with a bumper in the dog's mouth. Ear pinch if the dog drops the bumper after a correction. The dog will quickly catch on and be better conditioned than it was in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Gauge123 View Post
    We have been through FF, CC, FTP, and done the mini T. Now I have a larger TT mowed out back and Gauge understands the game. I have two things that Id like to improve and I could use some constructive advice.
    [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]First, Im not satisfied with his sit. He sits quickly but I want him to turn around and face me. Instead he sits (possibly with his back to me) and looks my direction.
    If you aren't satisfied with his essential mechanics, he isn't ready for full scale T work yet. Take care of all that on Mini-T. I agree with Charles; avoid the mowed path idea.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Good. I didn't like the mowed TT anyway. I thought that was the "right way". It will be gone this afternoon.

What are some drills to improve the square sitting facing the handler. My dog will square up when I do what was described in a prior post. (Tooting the whistle.) But he has not progressed to sitting squarely facing me on his own.

if they are not sitting square might have to let the dog come in a bit with the come whistle after the pup takes a few steps toward you hit the sit whistle this should get the dog square. i had to do this with mine in mini t after i started forcing to the back pile because she was trying to beat the pressure by sitting 90degrees from me and looking over her shoulder. it took 2 to 3 training sessions of doing everytime she would sit incorrectly she would get a come whistle then a sit whistle then i would wait a few seconds then cast her. she has gotten alot better at sitting square by doing this and not letting her retrieve till she is sitting square. also a little verbal praise when they sit square and no praise when they sit incorrectly helps.

and disclaimer this is the first dog i have trained so my experience is very limited but this is what has worked for me so far going into single t.

Quote Originally Posted by RMC$$$ View Post
    What are some drills to improve the square sitting facing the handler. My dog will square up when I do what was described in a prior post. (Tooting the whistle.) But he has not progressed to sitting squarely facing me on his own.

I guess the "Drill" is "sit to Pile"!

Sit tol pile is when you correct the issues with your Sit!
    Whether the sit is after the whistle to stop on the way, and turn and sit squarly, or the sit when the dog returns to the front finish.
    Both MUST be done correctly.

The correction for a poor sit on route to pile I used, was after the intitial sit whistle, then after the crooked sit,, then "Here",, Sit (nick)

So, it would be whistle,(crooked sit in route) then HERE! , then whistle sit,,(nick)

The return to front finish "sit" is also very important..

If peeing, or not comming straight back and directly in front of you,, HERE! (nick)

These are the things you must take the time now to correct.. Its what the steps are for.

IMHO,, if the dog has a lackadazical attitude when sent,, THAT issue must be corrected during FTP.. Do NOT move on untill dog shows good desire to move its arse to the back pile..
    I did this all from the Front Finish position, and sent with an arm cast, and proofed with just a verbal quiet "Back"

I spent a LONG time with Pile work,, and T and TT,, a LONG time..

DONT GET IN A HURRY NOW!!!
    Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Make sure to praise when the dog does what he was corrected for ,,,,, right..

Keep attitude UP!!!! Good praise when they do it correctly.

Keep sessions short,, but EVERYDAY..

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

His drive to the pile is nice. It's the trot back that has no style. I have begun here-nick if he is not running back. He's improving.

Interesting praise issue - I noticed the other day he busted out to the pile and grabbed the first bumper he could get, but instead of picking it up he held it in his mouth on the ground. Strange. Later, I sent him back, stopped him half way, and gave him an over. He looked great, I clapped twice and when he got his mouth on the bumper I said "good boy". When he paused earlier, he was waiting on his "good boy" confirmation.

A lot of dogs that are slow on the return do so because somewhere pressure was added to cause it. My correction for a slow return is me jumping up and down in an excited manner while calling the dog in verbably. Try it and I.m sure he will speed up just to see whats going on with you. Sometimes they are plain bored. If thats the case stop and throw him a happy bumper away from the T then continue. Or don't run so many to the back pile. By that I mean if you have 12 bumpers at the back pile a two at eack over pile cut back to 8 and 1 and 1. Put the dog away wanting more.
    Clay
    Blue Skies Eye of the Storm MH
    Blue Skies Rags to Richs MH
    Blue Skies Travelin Man MH
    Blue Skies Snowy River Cruse SH
    Blue Skies Rough Rider Kate SH
    and all Chesapeake Bay Retrievers