The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: e collar battery maintenance

Default e collar battery maintenance

What is the best way to maintain the lifespan of an e-collar battery? I have a G3 sport.

I know with various electronics (cell phones, laptops, etc) you will loose battery life over time, which is worse if you "half charge" it. Is this true of e collars as well? I ask because it seems that many people just store them on the charger.

Natalie Fraser, DVM
    Trifecta Labradors

Home to my heart dog, Hudson:
    Am/Can Ch. Marshyhope's Satisfaction, CGC, WC, CDX, RE, JH

There seems to be no agreed upon method as far as I know. I just charge mine when it's low or "it's been awhile" so it won't be an issue if I'm away for a weekend training. I don't know what kinds of batteries are in the transmitter and the collar but when I charge them it's always the receiver that is dead and never the transmitter. So it would seem that I'm always "half charging" the transmitter. The batteries have never been an issue as to lifespan. I do the same with my radios, bumper boys and a Malcom retired gun.

Awhile ago I heard second hand that Tri tronics said to store the collar on the charger and some do that. I'd say that's what most people do with electronics like phones. I don't think modern batteries develope the memory that used to be the bad thing about charging an already partially charged battery.
    Last edited by John Lash; 05-18-2013 at 09:53 PM.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

yeah my transmitter has a disposable battery. I just replaced that this week. I bought my collar in 2009, but it hasn't gotten much use in the past 4 years. It charged up beautifully and seems to be working fine.
    Natalie Fraser, DVM
    Trifecta Labradors

Home to my heart dog, Hudson:
    Am/Can Ch. Marshyhope's Satisfaction, CGC, WC, CDX, RE, JH