RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Training a retriever pup question

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  UTMallard 
#1 ·
Looking to start my pup with the Hillmann DVD. My question is what age do I start day 1
Thanks in advance for the info

#3 ·
Before I start day one is there anything I should be doing to prepare the pup,besides bonding with him and socialization?

#5 ·
Thanks: I will be crate training the pup (picking him up tomorrow). During the night should I keep his crate in my bedroom...or place him in another room

#6 ·
I kept my pups crate in my room with me so he didn't feel so alone the first night, going from having littermates to being in a kennel is a big deal to them. Take an old shirt with you and rub the mom if she's around and leave it with him in the kennel so he feels comfortable.

You can put a light rope/leash on him/her and spend quality time with them and just bond for now.

#7 ·
I used the Hillmann DVD for my now 9 month old pup and loved it. Built a great foundation and it was easy to understand for a first time trainer. My #1 piece of advice is to watch it from start to finish several times before you begin training. Sounds obvious, but it will give you a better idea of what you are trying to accomplish and what a "finished product" looks like when you finish the program, so you know what to focus on. We started at 12 weeks and finished at 22 weeks repeating several "days" until we had it down. Take your time and have fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.