The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does this sound like torn cruciate?

Sounds like possible lumbosacral disease, typically flexing the lumbosacral joint by elevating the pelvis and flexing it upward will produce pain, reluctance to jump is a common symptom.

Dr Ed, that is what the vet thought also,....Have been treating him with Novox, and there has been some improvement, he is getting a little better each week... After thinking about it, he and my other dog had a collision out in the yard playing one day, Tag went down, but got right back up. But..It was a HARD hit! He is now "sometimes" jumping up but not like he did before. Trying to keep him calmer than before although that in itself is a challenge! the vet has mentioned possibly trying a Chiropractic Vet....but I have no experience with Chiro, either for myself or my dogs....Anyone want to give me an opinion?

With few exceptions, lumbosacral disease is a progressive condition. Owners who elect for conservative therapy (modification of exercise regime, including targeted physiotherapy and analgesia) should be advised that long-term compression of neural structures eventually results in irreversible malacia; those animals presenting with end-stage disease (severe paraparesis and/ or incontinence) may not benefit significantly from surgery. However, the majority of cases would be expected to show a significant clinical improvement in the short-to-medium term with non-surgical treatment. Combinations of gabapentin, tramadol and anti-inflammatory doses of steroid may be used to reduce pain associated with acute flare-ups. However, owners should be further advised that cases will often relapse once exercise levels are increased.

Given that many patients present relatively late in the course of the disease – once they can no longer cope with their previously active life-style – recommendations involving indefinite restriction of their pet’s exercise are understandably unpopular with owners; a discussion of the benefits of surgical therapy may therefore be appropriate as soon as the diagnosis has been confirmed.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

I had a dog with an elbow that was a big problem...caused by RMSF. Anyway, we just couldn't get this resolved so my vet referred her to Auburn Sports Medicine (Dr Bob Gillette). Anyway, the vet did a complete exam and found that she had a toe problem. The solution for that was to sclerose (sp?) the toe joint. 3 weeks later, she was really improved but still had a limp. Back to Auburn. We taped reflective patches on several locations and ran her back and forth in black light with a computer filming the runs. Then the computer image was shown on the screen and the patches identified, Then the whole film was run and the computer tracked the patches and...we found another toe on the same foot. The whole thing was amazing to see develop and with the film slowed down, even I could see the shift in weight she was doing to avoid pain but that caused the limp.

After that, I was a believer in the Auburn Sports Medicine Dept. The long way round to this story is that Dr Gillette had a program whereby any of these gait issues in dogs or horses could be filmed at length and sent to him for a consult. A video is a great tool.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
    I had a dog with an elbow that was a big problem...caused by RMSF. Anyway, we just couldn't get this resolved so my vet referred her to Auburn Sports Medicine (Dr Bob Gillette). Anyway, the vet did a complete exam and found that she had a toe problem. The solution for that was to sclerose (sp?) the toe joint. 3 weeks later, she was really improved but still had a limp. Back to Auburn. We taped reflective patches on several locations and ran her back and forth in black light with a computer filming the runs. Then the computer image was shown on the screen and the patches identified, Then the whole film was run and the computer tracked the patches and...we found another toe on the same foot. The whole thing was amazing to see develop and with the film slowed down, even I could see the shift in weight she was doing to avoid pain but that caused the limp.

After that, I was a believer in the Auburn Sports Medicine Dept. The long way round to this story is that Dr Gillette had a program whereby any of these gait issues in dogs or horses could be filmed at length and sent to him for a consult. A video is a great tool.
    Hi Eric: I have been fortunate enough to recently work with Dr. Rob Gillette at Veterinary Specialty Center in Buffalo Grove, IL. He helped me with FC Ruckus who had gotten muscle spasms in his knee, back and groin. We used electrical stim and trigger point injections to release all the spasms. Ruckus also had a painful toe issue. Dr. Rob was the ONLY one to recognize the core of the spasm around the knee and the toe issue. Without releasing that, poor Ruckus would still be lame. Ruckus is back running. We finished the first trial we ran without training for a few months... got the RJ. I figure the recent open 2nd belongs to Rob. He spent so much time with us. Hours at a time. Very dedicated to Ruckus. We are lucky to have him in the midwest and I'm fortunate to have him on my list of favorites who took care of FC Ruckus, which also includes Dr. Mitch Robbins (surgeon & an owner of VSC) and Jeanette Potter, rehab & surgical vet tech extrodinaire & an owner of Thera Pet.
    Last edited by JusticeDog; 06-06-2013 at 10:37 PM.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

We used estim as a part of Cheyenne's course of treatment. Dr Gillette lent me a machine to take home for daily treatments. Cheyenne would see me get out the machine and she'd run jump on the couch and roll over. She loved it...so much so that I tried on a sore shoulder and almost didn't give the machione back.<s>

He has a long history of supporting field dogs, notably retrievers. While at Auburn, he pioneered a week-end joint seminar for professionals and dog owners. I attended 2-3 of them and was always amazed at the passion he showed for our canine athletes. Watch to see if he doesn't do that there...and go.

Auburn's loss is Chicagp's gain. I've already shared that fact with the Toller community in the upper Midwest. Here's his bio. http://www.vetspecialty.com/staff/bios/84 He's one super individual.
    Last edited by Eric Johnson; 06-07-2013 at 05:44 AM.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Hi Eric,

My name is Melissa Quinn and I work with Dr. Gillette at Veterinary Specialty Center. First, I wanted to say thank you for writing such wonderful things about Dr. Gillette and second, I wanted to find out if you would be ok if I posted your comments on our website and facebook page. Again, thank you for your great endorsement and I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
    Melissa Quinn
    Referral Coordinator
    Veterinary Specialty Center
    847-459-7535 ext. 1513

Quote Originally Posted by gmhr1 View Post
    My little female lab ran in the back yard for a fun bumper turned, let out a yelp and held her hind leg up. She would put down the tip of her foot to walk and next day found out it was a torn acl. Best of Luck to you.
    The same thing with my 9 yr old. thast year. Vet can tell you in 5 minutes. Get her there asap and pray it is not that.

Sorry, I posted before reading all the threads. Glad it wasn't ACL.