The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lymphoma

Richard, wishing you and Gander the very best.
    Mark

Wishing you and Gander the best, I'll keep you in our prayers.
    "If we all did the things we are capable of doing we would literally astound ourselves." Thomas A Edison

Richard - not sure where you are but there is quite a lot of research being done currently w/ canine lymphoma. U of Tenn CVM is starting a clinical trial using a cancer-killing virus. They are working w/ Mayo Clinic, as this has human potential also. U Penn is working on a vaccine for lymphoma, to be used in conjunction with chemo I believe.
    Might be something for you or your vet to look into, if you are close to either of these vet schools. If you want more info contact me at riskyriver@juno.com
    good luck!
    Diane

So sorry to hear this. I hope he beats the odds and has a good run left. I know you'll do everything you can do for him, but it still must be hard. Hang in there and do everything you can with him now.

Take Care-

M
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you canít take it backÖ"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)

proto 039.jpg

3d-1-revised-sm2.jpg

chapter 12 its worth a try

t

Very sorry, prayers sent for Gander and you hoping that he is in that 5% as well.
    "Feetdown Beatdown Razr's Edge"

very sorry to hear. I went thru this with a golden in 2005, I was told that it was 100% fatal and that chemo may give 6 to 18 months. As others have stated the Whisky's ill effects from the chemo was limited. He was bad after the second dose but tolerated everything else well. Other than some hair loss - comments about golden hair to a minimum please - he was by and large his own self. In the end, he went out of remission with a month of stopping the treatment and passed on within a week. I do not know if I would repeat the chemo, but I did get 6 months.
    HRCH Wind River's Frisky Whisky SH WCX - Thanx for the memories my friend
    HRCH UH Red Devil's Risky Rascal WCX
    HR Red Devil's Wild Wind River
    SHR Red Devil's Ready Freddie
    SHR Red Devil's Lambeau Leap
    SHR YRP Grand Chien's Chase the Sunset

Gander seems to be doing fairly well all things considered... He will have another infusion next Friday the 31st... Between the chemo and the steroids I think he may be feeling better... I'm sure it's only temporary, but everyday with him is a gift.

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts and prayers,

Richard
    SHOOT EM' IN THE LIPS..........

HRCH Otter Sloughs Bronze Gander " Gander"
    TTF Duck Sloughs Make Mine a Double "Shooter"

www.ducksloughkennel.com

Romans 8:28

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Finch View Post
    Gander seems to be doing fairly well all things considered... He will have another infusion next Friday the 31st... Between the chemo and the steroids I think he may be feeling better... I'm sure it's only temporary, but everyday with him is a gift.

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts and prayers,

Richard

Richard, sorry I have been MIA over the weekend. That is great news that Gander is feeling better.

Sorry to hear about Gander. My avatar dog was diagnosed with lymphoma last July. It was devastating news to say the least. I am happy to say that 10 plus months later he is still with me. He went thru his initial protocol, finishing in December and stayed in remission for a month. I hunted pheasant and geese with him all last fall and he never missed a beat. After coming out of remission, we started on a rescue protocol and he responded very well. I was given 5-6 months with treatment as he was T cell lymphoma and he has beaten those odds.

I am an vet tech who has been working in oncology and integral medicine for past 13 yrs. I have treated a lot of dogs for lymphoma. It is the most treatable, tho very rarely curable form of cancer. Most dogs do very well while on chemo. We have treated service dogs, police dogs, hunting dogs and dogs doing performance like agility and most continue on with their lives without any problems.

As was previously stated only 5 percent are cured, but many get out to 13 to 18 months. A year may not sound like much but it is quite a long time in a dogs life.

I wish you all the best with Gander. I am enjoying every day with Trooper. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions mostlygold@hotmail.com.

Dawn
    mostlygold
    Terrill's Mr Butch CDX TT; Terrill's Adalay CD TD; Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HR WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.