RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Lymphoma

5K views 29 replies 24 participants last post by  mostlygold 
#1 ·
So Gander has been diagnosed with lymphoma... Vet recommends trying a couple chemo treatments... I just feel as though I'm prolonging the inevitable here... Any thoughts from those of you with experience in fighting this disease.. I don't wanna keep "Gander" and have him be the shell of a dog he's always been... I think that would be very selfish on my part... On the other hand I do want to do all I can, as he has been my best friend and consummate companion...

Thanks,

Richard

#2 ·
I am very sorry to hear this about gander. Dogs tolerate chemotherapy much better than human beings do. I recently went through this with my gavel. I did two or three rounds of chemo. When I saw that it was not working at all, I stopped. I work closely with my oncologist to make that determination. I am sure your vet has given you a prognosis for lymphoma. Like you, I had to give, I tried to make sure I was doing everything I possibly could for him. My dog did not have lymphoma.

My prayers for you and gander, whatever you decide.

#4 ·
I"m so sorry.
If you can, you need to work with a good oncologist. Are you near a veterinary school? They tend to have very good programs.
Have they identified whether it's T-cell or B-cell? One responds much better to chemo than the other one, although I don't recall which is which.
As JusticeDog said, dogs don't have nearly the issues with chemo that humans have. Other than being a bit more tired sometimes, with most dogs you'd never even know they're doing through it. For that reason, a lot of people opt to give chemo a try. You can always stop if it's not working or not agreeing with him, but you can't always start later.
Sending many prayers and good thoughts. Hoping Gander beats the odds and you make many more memories together.

#5 ·
I have recently been through this with an 8 year old english pointer. I chose not to go the chemo route, but we put her on steroids and zantac and prilosec( I am pretty sure that was everything). She perked up beautifully for a few weeks and I was able to enjoy that time with her, and it was clear when the time came to let her go. I had a friend opt for chemo with a dog and this gave her dog an additional year of good quality. It is a decision which you must make and there is no right or wrong answer. I just kept thinking that my dog did not know she had cancer, just whether she felt good or not. I know she had several good weeks of lots of attention and special food. I have no regrets. I wish you the best.

#7 ·
He goes tomorrow for his first treatment... My vet is a dear friend of mine and wants to try at least two rounds of chemo, coupled with steroids... So I said yes... If I know "Gander" he will let me know when its time... He's very stately and gentlemanly about everything he has ever done... So I'm sure he will leave this world with dignity... One thing for sure I will see to that...

Richard

#16 ·
I think you have the right idea here. I'm sure he will let you know when it is time... Be brave for him and make the right decisions (I know that is easier said than done)

#8 ·
#10 ·
If the vet hasn't already brought it up, ask about palliative vs "curative" (I think that's what it's called) treatment.

Palliative chemo is designed to stall the cancer or reduce the symptoms, but isn't nearly so intense as a treatment that attempts a cure. We opted for palliative treatment for a Brittany in her last year with breast cancer. I don't remember the exact details. I think there was initial surgery possibly followed by radiation. When the cancer returned after a year or so, we went with palliative chemo. The chemo (a single treatment, every few weeks) would cause her to lose her appetitie and have some vomiting for a couple of days, then she would feel pretty good for awhile. She was nearly 14 yrs old when the chemo stopped having any good effects, and we let her go. We gave her 5 palliative treatments over a span of many months, and I think we should have quit at 3, definitely 4.

"Cancer" covers a lot of territory and lymphoma is not the same as breast cancer. You'd need to talk to an oncologist about what the options are.

Good luck and I'm sorry. The main thing is to enjoy the time he has left, whatever option you choose.

#11 ·
I am sorry for the news you got. Good thoughts coming your way for Gander.

#12 ·
Lymphosarcoma in dogs is a fatal disease, with appropriate chemotherapy there is a 5% cure rate and remissions of 9-12 months are possible. Good luck, it is a difficult decision.

#13 ·
So sorry to hear this. No experience but big prayers coming your guys' way!

G
#14 ·
Prayers are sent to you and Gander. I had a dog diagnosed with Lymphosarcoma we decided against chemo, and she lived a happy life for another year. Its a very difficult decision & you have to do what you feel is right.

#15 ·
One of my Labs was diagnosed with lympho at age 7, we did chemo locally based on a protocol from the UW-Madison, she had no ill affects from it. She had a good, full year before going out of remission and we knew it was time. I feel for anyone who goes through it, there is no easy decision. Cancer is a horrible disease in all of its forms and affects too many. I wish you and Gander the best.

#18 ·
That's a tough decision. I don't know what I would do.
But, I think a new puppy would be high on my list of things that I'd do to keep me thinking "right", and keep me motivated.

I'm really sorry that you are having to deal with this.

#19 ·
Man, I hope Gander is in the 5% and beats this thing. Failing that I hope for some good quality of life and that your course of action will be clear and you will have peace with the decision when the time comes.

#23 ·
Richard - not sure where you are but there is quite a lot of research being done currently w/ canine lymphoma. U of Tenn CVM is starting a clinical trial using a cancer-killing virus. They are working w/ Mayo Clinic, as this has human potential also. U Penn is working on a vaccine for lymphoma, to be used in conjunction with chemo I believe.
Might be something for you or your vet to look into, if you are close to either of these vet schools. If you want more info contact me at riskyriver@juno.com
good luck!
Diane

#24 ·
So sorry to hear this. I hope he beats the odds and has a good run left. I know you'll do everything you can do for him, but it still must be hard. Hang in there and do everything you can with him now.

Take Care-

M

#27 ·
very sorry to hear. I went thru this with a golden in 2005, I was told that it was 100% fatal and that chemo may give 6 to 18 months. As others have stated the Whisky's ill effects from the chemo was limited. He was bad after the second dose but tolerated everything else well. Other than some hair loss - comments about golden hair to a minimum please - he was by and large his own self. In the end, he went out of remission with a month of stopping the treatment and passed on within a week. I do not know if I would repeat the chemo, but I did get 6 months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.