RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Lymphoma

5K views 29 replies 24 participants last post by  mostlygold 
#1 ·
So Gander has been diagnosed with lymphoma... Vet recommends trying a couple chemo treatments... I just feel as though I'm prolonging the inevitable here... Any thoughts from those of you with experience in fighting this disease.. I don't wanna keep "Gander" and have him be the shell of a dog he's always been... I think that would be very selfish on my part... On the other hand I do want to do all I can, as he has been my best friend and consummate companion...

Thanks,

Richard

#28 ·
Gander seems to be doing fairly well all things considered... He will have another infusion next Friday the 31st... Between the chemo and the steroids I think he may be feeling better... I'm sure it's only temporary, but everyday with him is a gift.

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts and prayers,

Richard

#30 ·
Sorry to hear about Gander. My avatar dog was diagnosed with lymphoma last July. It was devastating news to say the least. I am happy to say that 10 plus months later he is still with me. He went thru his initial protocol, finishing in December and stayed in remission for a month. I hunted pheasant and geese with him all last fall and he never missed a beat. After coming out of remission, we started on a rescue protocol and he responded very well. I was given 5-6 months with treatment as he was T cell lymphoma and he has beaten those odds.

I am an vet tech who has been working in oncology and integral medicine for past 13 yrs. I have treated a lot of dogs for lymphoma. It is the most treatable, tho very rarely curable form of cancer. Most dogs do very well while on chemo. We have treated service dogs, police dogs, hunting dogs and dogs doing performance like agility and most continue on with their lives without any problems.

As was previously stated only 5 percent are cured, but many get out to 13 to 18 months. A year may not sound like much but it is quite a long time in a dogs life.

I wish you all the best with Gander. I am enjoying every day with Trooper. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions mostlygold@hotmail.com.

Dawn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.