The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: Which of these products would you like to see improved upon first:

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Neoprene Vests

19 42.22%
  • Bumpers

8 17.78%
  • Training Jackets

9 20.00%
  • Dog Stands

9 20.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Enter phase 2: INNOVATION

Default Enter phase 2: INNOVATION

Are you tired of your neoprene vests ripping and tearing after one or two seasons? Are you tired of your bumpers not withstanding average wear and tear? In an effort to improve the gun dog industry, Lone Duck Outfitters is asking for your opinion. Which of these products would you like to see improved upon first:

This survey is designed to improve and innovate our industry’s gear. If you would like to be included in our product development surveys, please email: info@loneduckoutfitters.com
    Thank you for participating.
    Bob Owens
    President- Lone Duck Outfitters
    "Sharing Your Passion For The Unspoken Bond"
    www.loneduckoutfitters.com

I don't really have a problem with today's bumpers I just would like to see a tougher canvas bumper for pups. I don't allow mine to play with them but I the ones I have had rip pretty easy.

Vests!
    Hands down vests!
    And let me tell you what you need to do.
    The issue with dog vests is the front leg holes.
    They are ether too tight and hurt the dog or too loose and let water in.
    Water getting it is not a cold dog thing but drag when swimming and sticks and marsh salid gets it.
    What you need to make is a large opening and then sew to that some sort of flexable poofy something with an elastic circle at the end. Kind of like little mini front legs a few inches long. For total ease of dog movement and no water getting in. With a good wide velcro closeer up the back not a zipper for a few inches of custom fit on that end as well.
    That is what dog vests need.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    Vests!
    Hands down vests!
    And let me tell you what you need to do.
    The issue with dog vests is the front leg holes.
    They are ether too tight and hurt the dog or too loose and let water in.
    Water getting it is not a cold dog thing but drag when swimming and sticks and marsh salid gets it.
    What you need to make is a large opening and then sew to that some sort of flexable poofy something with an elastic circle at the end. Kind of like little mini front legs a few inches long. For total ease of dog movement and no water getting in. With a good wide velcro closeer up the back not a zipper for a few inches of custom fit on that end as well.
    That is what dog vests need.
    Some great ideas there for the vest.
    Sir Golden Bear of the Serengeti SH

I agree with Ken. The vests keep our dogs safe, without them there would be no need for the other items.

Thank you for the insight! The ideas this survey generates will help propel our industry forward! The more suggestions the better the final product will be- which is why Lone Duck Outfitters exists- Bring the best gear to the gun dog community. Keep the ideas rolling!
    Bob Owens

I agree with Ken dog vests need sizing improvement. Mine is by Avery for my old guy and it gapes around the shoulder area. very hard to find a good fit. It has stood up well to wear and tear of a few hunting seasons.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

Metras's Hashtag Mickey

Agree with Ken also. Dog vest sizing does not fit all dogs. I have tried three different vest companies and none of them fit my little girl correctly. From a manufacturing standpoint it probably doesn't make sense to stock many more sizes than what is offered but from a fit issue it definitely does.

With so much movement in the front end I don't know how or if one should make vests tighter around the legs/shoulder area. I wouldn't want to impeed their front legs and putting little legs with elastic around them could cut some of the circulation to the front legs. Any where you have movement you need room.
    deb

Thanks everyone for your participation! Looks like the community agrees- Neoprene vests have to be improved! We're going to draw up a survey in order to fine tune our thoughts and get more opinions. If you or your club would like to join that survey and help us design/ build the best neoprene vest on the market, please email info@loneduckoutfitters.com and we will add your name to the survey list. Have a great week!
    Bob Owens