The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting a 10 month old pup?

Default Hunting a 10 month old pup?

looking forward to this years dove/duck seasons. the pup will be about 10 months old then and I am planning on hunting with him as long as the situation is good for a puppy. I feel after some good dove hunts he will have a good idea of how to hunt and should be ready for ducks.

Any thoughts on this? Would most people hunt him or sit him out till next year? We still have our 12 yr old BLF but she's getting slower but still loves to hunt.

I also plan on focusing on the dog for the most part and will be not taking my gun for the first few hunts.

it is a yellow lab too, and we all know yellows are the smartest.

I hunt everything with my lab the only thing I do is skip the first year of dove season those feathers are sometimes to much for a young dog. Read your pup if he's ready go and don't carry a gun. If not train and be really ready next year. I'm no pro buy that's what I do.

I'd be careful with the heat in September hunting doves.

Ever been on a dove shoot with a hunter that has an out of control dog, one where the pup is blasting out and getting the birds shot by other hunters as the dog's owner screams and blames the inabilities of the young dog on the pup?
    Last edited by Spring; 05-24-2013 at 11:03 AM.

I am in your same situation and plan on hunting my pup. I will let everyone else shoot and I will do nothing but work my pup this year.

Last year I tried to shoot with our other lab (first hunting season) and created an unsteady dog. Needless to say I didn't have all the materials I have now and didn't know what I was doing then. I was just getting into hunting and didn't want to sit steadly by and watch everyone else have all the fun. After the first shot, she took off after the bird. I realized I had to only work her because what if someone had taken another shot at the bird and she was in the way. I put the gun down and worked her for the rest of the season. She is steady now and ready to go for this season.

I also realized that seeing my dog do what she was trained to do was just as satisfying. She'll be ready to go this year and I'll work my new pup and when he's steady to shot I'll pick up my gun again.
    "If we all did the things we are capable of doing we would literally astound ourselves." Thomas A Edison

Quote Originally Posted by Spring View Post
    Ever been on a dove shoot with a hunter that has an out of control dog, one where the pup is blasting out and getting the birds shot by other hunters as the dog's owner screams and blames the inabilities of the young dog on the pup?

I know what you mean but i will be taking him on private land to hunt with my father who is well aware of the intentions of the hunt. which will be to train the dog, not harvest 40 birds. we'd prefer to shot 3-4 birds that will be able to be marked easily and retrieved by the dog rather than limit out on birds.

Hunt him. Don

I'm in the same boat as we speak.... my pup will be 10-11 months when season rolls around so I'm iffy weather he will be truly ready without creating problems but completely trained. I'm just going to take it day by day and judge weather or not he's ready at that time. I try to set him up with realistic hunting scenarios when we train but you can only imitate so much. I think he will be ready but I have to set realistic standards for him. Its like taking a 7yr old hunting for the first time, he's not going to know everything and we shouldn't have those standards set on them. Best of luck bud

Be careful and set him up for success.

Don't do anything that will set you back or sacrifice future success.

It also depends on what stage you are at with your training.

Quote Originally Posted by 25-ott-06 View Post
    I hunt everything with my lab the only thing I do is skip the first year of dove season those feathers are sometimes to much for a young dog. Read your pup if he's ready go and don't carry a gun. If not train and be really ready next year. I'm no pro buy that's what I do.
    This is really important to remember - dove are very unique when a puppy first experiences them...even for seasoned veterans, some times dove are just to tempt to mouth, chew or consume.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot