The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hunting a 10 month old pup?

Mine will be about that age when season rolls around, she should be done forcing and working on blinds. Regardless of where she is; she will be out hunting, that's her purpose might as well get some exposure. We'll work on any issues that crop up, that's what training-off season is for, but she'll be out hunting, and retrieving. That's why I have a dog. At 10 months she will have a heck of a lot more training under her belt than her mother did, who was out retrieving dove at 4 mts of age. Everything turned out for fine with her, didn't develop any terrible un-trainable career ending habits, and gained a lot of experience. She's one of the best-most tenacious hunting and bird-finding dogs I've ran with. But hey I probably just Lucked out, don't take your hunting dog hunting; until it's about 7 or so; you'll be sure to be safe from developing bad habits and issues by then. There will be plenty of seasons, tell me that when your watching your ole pup retrieve birds during his last season, and your wondering where all those years went.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 05-28-2013 at 01:05 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

i agree with hunt'emup fully. Unless u plan on trialing the dog fine i can see holding back, but if not that dog is meant to hunt. We ve hunted our dogs always n are usually 5 month when on birds. My dad is old school and he only has meat dogs but some of his dogs id put up against most ny of them.

i dont really dove hunt so im not sure on that part. when i say hunt him i dont mean everytime u go maybe. Real bad weather prolly keep home, some tuff hunting spots maybe keep home. Even with the easy spots we always have a fully seasoned dog in blind and pup gets the easy retrieves. We do pheasant hunt right away, this can cause some issues but like i said my dad has meat dogs.

My advice is dont try to force fetch him on a dove in the field. Small bird and big hands, you might get bit
    Last edited by Brad; 05-28-2013 at 05:17 PM.

That is a great question and a call only you can make. You must evaluate your dog and where it is in training. Also, what is your dogs purpose? Is it going to be strictly a meat dog, or are you going to test and trial him/her? Regardless of the answer to That question, a good hunting dog requires the same basic skills, obedience, and patience of a good test or trial dog. I have seen 10 month old pups that are steady as can be, patient in the field, quiet in the blind, solid in obedience, completely ff and CC, and handling well on blinds, etc....I have also seen 10 month old pups that cant even be off a check cord yet because they will run away from their owner. It is a judgement call only You can make, but my advice is to set your dog up for success. If you are going to hunt him, train in situations for hunting (ie, go out to your private property and sit on your dove bucket for minutes at a time, simulating a "slow dove hunt", and if your dog is ready for it, train for those fast and furious hunts. Does your dog honor? Can your 12 yr old go out and train as well at the same time? You have to think of what could happen during your dove hunt, and how your dog will respond, and how you will respond. Can your dog handle consistently, and would you be willing to end him on a blind retrieve that he may or may not be ready for?

I was fortunate enough that I had my dog goose hunting at 11 months, and he did fantastic. I handled him out to a cripple at 150 yards, and as my dog was approaching the goose got up and started flying away. My dog jumped about 4 foot high and grabbed the goose out of mid air and completed the retrieve. Very cool to see, but I know my dogs level of training at the time was sufficient for the type of open field hunting I was doing, and his Personality is not one to be afraid of anything....I do test my dog, but his main purpose is to hunt, and that is what he does. I made that decision against the advice of quite a few of my close friends, and do not regret it. I know some people who made the same decision as I did, and regret the decision to hunt early. I got advice from more than one person that was not to hunt your dog until he has his HRCH title.....again, know your dog and make your own judgement call....hunting is not a place to "test your dogs abilities", but a place to practice things he already knows.
    Jeremy
    Kankakee River HRC

Golden puppy on first dove hunt at 3.5 mos of age This owner took out the young pup with just a friend and himself; a short hunt just to let the pup see what it was all about. Since the pup was so young, doves were just the right size for her.

She did make a "mistake" in this photo. Friend shot the bird, and she brought it back to owner instead

Over a period of a few days, she retrieved 29 doves

No, not one of my pups. She was bred by a friend.
    Last edited by Gerry Clinchy; 05-28-2013 at 10:02 PM.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

sorry guys need more posts to pm

sorry ladies gents

sorry again

thank you everyone