The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Singles vs Multiple.

Default Singles vs Multiple.

Not looking for an answer just hoping to spark a good conversation and hear ideas.
    I have heard to shoot 80% singles and 20% multiples. I know of pros that only shoot multiples.
    The topic of conversation is
    Do you prefer to shoot mostly singles or multiple marks and why?
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
    PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

HRCH Wag'in Codie Jo SH
    HRCH Mossbend's Remington Deluxe
    HRCH Double Barrel's Dust Cloud JH
    HR Doc's Heavy Artillery

Like most other training aspects, depends on the dog. Some don't develope head swinging issues quite so fast or at all. IMO if you keep them guessing on when they can go, they tend to focus on the last mark down, no matter if its a single or a quad.
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

There is no set formula. But I run mostly singles, although they're often contained in multiple (Double, Triple, Quad or more...) - type set ups. I want to keep them technically sound, but also fundamentally sound. Too many multiples in proportion to singles tends to encourage head swinging and line manner issues. Dogs remain better focused when the balance is tipped toward singles.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Depends on the training concept of the day. Some concepts require multiples

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Depends on the day and what I am working on. If I train by myself singles mostly. If I do throw triples, I slow down take my time work on line manners so the dog sees the mark. In training what ever they do!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

It has less to do with the dog and more to do on what you are working/training on.....some concepts require multiple marks for various reasons

I like singles for many concepts because I can hold the highest standards to them
    HOLD FAST
    Winter is coming
    Duck hunters like other duck hunters at a Holiday party, cocktail hour or a school play..........they hate each other @ 5am

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    There is no set formula. But I run mostly singles, although they're often contained in multiple (Double, Triple, Quad or more...) - type set ups. I want to keep them technically sound, but also fundamentally sound. Too many multiples in proportion to singles tends to encourage head swinging and line manner issues. Dogs remain better focused when the balance is tipped toward singles.

Evan
    I totally agree with this!

This is great. Everyone has a very clear reason why they do what they do. I had a pro at a master test tell me his dogs never see anything smaller than a quad. I remember thinking to myself "that is wild, and I don't have enough wingers." LOL. What would the possitives be for shooting multiples all the time. I know the Cons but what are the PRO's in that situation.

Me personally if I am teaching a concept that requires multiple marks. I will shoot all the marks as singles and then come back and run it again as a multiple. I believe in fighting small battles so if the marks are tuff and you end up battling with pup on that mark you loose sight of what you are trying to teach in the concept.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
    PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

HRCH Wag'in Codie Jo SH
    HRCH Mossbend's Remington Deluxe
    HRCH Double Barrel's Dust Cloud JH
    HR Doc's Heavy Artillery

Best answer - "It depends." If you are working on a concept - cheaty marks for example - run it as a single, or set of singles, so you can focus on that issue. Multiple marks on occasion help remind pup that she can count but only when pup is solid on the concepts you've worked on as singles. I try to keep things simple and work on one thing at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Hass View Post
    ..... I had a pro at a master test tell me his dogs never see anything smaller than a quad. I remember thinking to myself "that is wild,.......
    now, just 'cause a dog will "see" a quad. does not mean it will "run" a quad.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin