The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help on US gun dog retrieving terminology

Default Help on US gun dog retrieving terminology

Hi

I need some US terminology help on gun dog terms... I know the terms in Swedish and partly in (Brittish) English, but would appreciate if someone could help me with the US ones. What I write below is how I define it and what I would call it, please give input on what it is really called (or if you know anyone else I could contact). You don't need to answer all the questions, I appreciate every help I can get (yes, I've read the FAQ and the GOT and googled, but I still have some questions)

marked retrieve - dog sees the bird land and fetches it on command. What cue do you use? Dogs name? Fetch?

directional retrieve - dog doesn't know where the bird/dummy is and is directed there by the handler. Is it called directional retrieve, or directional retrieval? What cue do you use? "get out"?

casting - same as directional retrieve? for casting left/right, what cue do you use? (hand signal and verbal cue "left"/"right"?)

stop whistle - (or stop cue, stop signal?) dog stops, sitting or standing, and looks at the handler. What type of whistle signal do you use? (I use one short one)

recall whistle - calling the dog to you by whistle instead of using a verbal command. What type of whistle signal do you use? (I use several short ones)

enclosed search / holding a piece of ground - not sure at all of this term, but it means that dog dog searches a very small area/stays in that small area to hunt. What would you call the cue to get that behaviour started? close search cue? hunt whistle? (for me, I direct the dog to the area, blow my stop whistle and then my hunt whistle to tell the dog to start hunting. My hunt whistle is a rolling whistle, something like "duduu duduuu"). I've also heard the term "high lost"

search / finding and retrieveing / hunting an area - I send the dog out to find a bird or dummy that neither I nor the dog is exactly sure of where it is, just that it is somewhere in the area. What cue would you use? "go find"/"search"?

water work / water training - doing all of the above in water
    Last edited by agrolsy; 05-25-2013 at 11:57 AM.

It don't cost no extra here to use a bigger font.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

It's a standard font? But sure, I can enlarge it

Hi

I need some US terminology help on gun dog terms... I know the terms in Swedish and partly in (Brittish) English, but would appreciate if someone could help me with the US ones. What I write below is how I define it and what I would call it, please give input on what it is really called (or if you know anyone else I could contact). You don't need to answer all the questions, I appreciate every help I can get (yes, I've read the FAQ and the GOT and googled, but I still have some questions)

marked retrieve - dog sees the bird land and fetches it on command. What cue do you use? Dogs name? Fetch?

directional retrieve - dog doesn't know where the bird/dummy is and is directed there by the handler. Is it called directional retrieve, or directional retrieval? What cue do you use? "get out"?

casting - same as directional retrieve? for casting left/right, what cue do you use? (hand signal and verbal cue "left"/"right"?)

stop whistle - (or stop cue, stop signal?) dog stops, sitting or standing, and looks at the handler. What type of whistle signal do you use? (I use one short one)

recall whistle - calling the dog to you by whistle instead of using a verbal command. What type of whistle signal do you use? (I use several short ones)

enclosed search / holding a piece of ground - not sure at all of this term, but it means that dog dog searches a very small area/stays in that small area to hunt. What would you call the cue to get that behaviour started? close search cue? hunt whistle? (for me, I direct the dog to the area, blow my stop whistle and then my hunt whistle to tell the dog to start hunting. My hunt whistle is a rolling whistle, something like "duduu duduuu"). I've also heard the term "high lost"

search / finding and retrieveing / hunting an area - I send the dog out to find a bird or dummy that neither I nor the dog is exactly sure of where it is, just that it is somewhere in the area. What cue would you use? "go find"/"search"?

Quote Originally Posted by agrolsy View Post
    It's a standard font? But sure, I can enlarge it

Hi

marked retrieve - dog sees the bird land and fetches it on command. What cue do you use? Dogs name? Fetch? I use the word, "Mark," when going to and/or at the line and send her on her name.

directional retrieve - dog doesn't know where the bird/dummy is and is directed there by the handler. Is it called directional retrieve, or directional retrieval? What cue do you use? "get out"? We call this a blind, running a blind, or blind retrieve. I use the cue, "Dead bird," and send the dog on, "Back."

casting - same as directional retrieve? for casting left/right, what cue do you use? (hand signal and verbal cue "left"/"right"?) We use hand signals for correcting the line when the dog goes off to one side or the other of the correct line. We will use arm casts with or without a verbal component. Usually we'll use verbal to help drive the dog back further and silent to help get more angular change in the dog's direction.

stop whistle - (or stop cue, stop signal?) dog stops, sitting or standing, and looks at the handler. What type of whistle signal do you use? (I use one short one) A whistle is used here too. One long whistle to stop the dog, sit and watch us for a cast.

recall whistle - calling the dog to you by whistle instead of using a verbal command. What type of whistle signal do you use? (I use several short ones) About the same here, usually just a tweet, tweet.

enclosed search / holding a piece of ground - not sure at all of this term, but it means that dog dog searches a very small area/stays in that small area to hunt. What would you call the cue to get that behaviour started? close search cue? hunt whistle? (for me, I direct the dog to the area, blow my stop whistle and then my hunt whistle to tell the dog to start hunting. My hunt whistle is a rolling whistle, something like "duduu duduuu"). I've also heard the term "high lost" I don't have this command. When hunting I'll use, "Hunt 'em up," but that isn't to hold a piece of ground but to search more as I direct them, but what I do is really informal and not trained on to much.

search / finding and retrieveing / hunting an area - I send the dog out to find a bird or dummy that neither I nor the dog is exactly sure of where it is, just that it is somewhere in the area. What cue would you use? "go find"/"search"? This would be in a hunting situation and not training or trialing. We place great importance on our dogs being under very good control and going exactly where we direct in training or trialing. In hunting the standards lapse a bit and area hunts are allowed. After the hunting season we usually have to tighten up the dog's control, although the dog's learn fairly quickly the rules of the two different situations.

Yup..........
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    It don't cost no extra here to use a bigger font.
    It don't cost no extra here to be nice either.
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    Yup..........
    Thanks!

If anyone does anything different, I'd love more input.

Quote Originally Posted by agrolsy View Post
    Thanks!

If anyone does anything different, I'd love more input.
    Howard summed it up for me.

Your font looked fine to me, too.
    Renee P

My hunt whistle is a rolling whistle, something like "duduu duduuu"

Gotta be why HNTFSH wanted it in bigger font - to "envision" that hunt whistle through his
    combination Dallesasse periscope and ear trumpet.

Welcome agrolsy - Howard's provided textbook answers to your questions. One thing to clarify and it's sort of semantics but very important in our trials and tests: When a dog's sent on its name for a retrieve, it's not commanded, but released.

MG

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    It don't cost no extra here to be nice either.
    Reinforcing with pressure.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by crackerd View Post

Gotta be why HNTFSH wanted it in bigger font - to "envision" that hunt whistle through his
    combination Dallesasse periscope and ear trumpet.

Welcome agrolsy - Howard's provided textbook answers to your questions. One thing to clarify and it's sort of semantics but very important in our trials and tests: When a dog's sent on its name for a retrieve, it's not commanded, but released.

MG

Great, thanks! Then it's quite a bit different from the Swedish ones, very interesting to learn more about it!

Just a final phraising question, would you use the word "marked retrieve" or "marked retrieval"?

Do you have a special term for just running on a straight line and finding the dummy/game (without the need to stop and redirect the dog)? (we would call that "linjetag" (taking the straight line) and if we are stopping and redirecting the dog (left, right, back) we would call it "dirigering" (directing))