RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Help on US gun dog retrieving terminology

5K views 45 replies 12 participants last post by  agrolsy 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi

I need some US terminology help on gun dog terms... I know the terms in Swedish and partly in (Brittish) English, but would appreciate if someone could help me with the US ones. What I write below is how I define it and what I would call it, please give input on what it is really called :) (or if you know anyone else I could contact). You don't need to answer all the questions, I appreciate every help I can get (yes, I've read the FAQ and the GOT and googled, but I still have some questions)

marked retrieve - dog sees the bird land and fetches it on command. What cue do you use? Dogs name? Fetch?

directional retrieve - dog doesn't know where the bird/dummy is and is directed there by the handler. Is it called directional retrieve, or directional retrieval? What cue do you use? "get out"?

casting - same as directional retrieve? for casting left/right, what cue do you use? (hand signal and verbal cue "left"/"right"?)

stop whistle - (or stop cue, stop signal?) dog stops, sitting or standing, and looks at the handler. What type of whistle signal do you use? (I use one short one)

recall whistle - calling the dog to you by whistle instead of using a verbal command. What type of whistle signal do you use? (I use several short ones)

enclosed search / holding a piece of ground - not sure at all of this term, but it means that dog dog searches a very small area/stays in that small area to hunt. What would you call the cue to get that behaviour started? close search cue? hunt whistle? (for me, I direct the dog to the area, blow my stop whistle and then my hunt whistle to tell the dog to start hunting. My hunt whistle is a rolling whistle, something like "duduu duduuu"). I've also heard the term "high lost"

search / finding and retrieveing / hunting an area - I send the dog out to find a bird or dummy that neither I nor the dog is exactly sure of where it is, just that it is somewhere in the area. What cue would you use? "go find"/"search"?

water work / water training - doing all of the above in water

See less See more
#3 ·
It's a standard font? But sure, I can enlarge it

Hi

I need some US terminology help on gun dog terms... I know the terms in Swedish and partly in (Brittish) English, but would appreciate if someone could help me with the US ones. What I write below is how I define it and what I would call it, please give input on what it is really called (or if you know anyone else I could contact). You don't need to answer all the questions, I appreciate every help I can get (yes, I've read the FAQ and the GOT and googled, but I still have some questions)

marked retrieve - dog sees the bird land and fetches it on command. What cue do you use? Dogs name? Fetch?

directional retrieve - dog doesn't know where the bird/dummy is and is directed there by the handler. Is it called directional retrieve, or directional retrieval? What cue do you use? "get out"?

casting - same as directional retrieve? for casting left/right, what cue do you use? (hand signal and verbal cue "left"/"right"?)

stop whistle - (or stop cue, stop signal?) dog stops, sitting or standing, and looks at the handler. What type of whistle signal do you use? (I use one short one)

recall whistle - calling the dog to you by whistle instead of using a verbal command. What type of whistle signal do you use? (I use several short ones)

enclosed search / holding a piece of ground - not sure at all of this term, but it means that dog dog searches a very small area/stays in that small area to hunt. What would you call the cue to get that behaviour started? close search cue? hunt whistle? (for me, I direct the dog to the area, blow my stop whistle and then my hunt whistle to tell the dog to start hunting. My hunt whistle is a rolling whistle, something like "duduu duduuu"). I've also heard the term "high lost"

search / finding and retrieveing / hunting an area - I send the dog out to find a bird or dummy that neither I nor the dog is exactly sure of where it is, just that it is somewhere in the area. What cue would you use? "go find"/"search"?

#4 ·
It's a standard font? But sure, I can enlarge it

Hi

I need some US terminology help on gun dog terms... I know the terms in Swedish and partly in (Brittish) English, but would appreciate if someone could help me with the US ones. What I write below is how I define it and what I would call it, please give input on what it is really called (or if you know anyone else I could contact). You don't need to answer all the questions, I appreciate every help I can get (yes, I've read the FAQ and the GOT and googled, but I still have some questions)

marked retrieve - dog sees the bird land and fetches it on command. What cue do you use? Dogs name? Fetch? I use the word, "Mark," when going to and/or at the line and send her on her name.

directional retrieve - dog doesn't know where the bird/dummy is and is directed there by the handler. Is it called directional retrieve, or directional retrieval? What cue do you use? "get out"? We call this a blind, running a blind, or blind retrieve. I use the cue, "Dead bird," and send the dog on, "Back."

casting - same as directional retrieve? for casting left/right, what cue do you use? (hand signal and verbal cue "left"/"right"?) We use hand signals for correcting the line when the dog goes off to one side or the other of the correct line. We will use arm casts with or without a verbal component. Usually we'll use verbal to help drive the dog back further and silent to help get more angular change in the dog's direction.

stop whistle - (or stop cue, stop signal?) dog stops, sitting or standing, and looks at the handler. What type of whistle signal do you use? (I use one short one) A whistle is used here too. One long whistle to stop the dog, sit and watch us for a cast.

recall whistle - calling the dog to you by whistle instead of using a verbal command. What type of whistle signal do you use? (I use several short ones) About the same here, usually just a tweet, tweet.

enclosed search / holding a piece of ground - not sure at all of this term, but it means that dog dog searches a very small area/stays in that small area to hunt. What would you call the cue to get that behaviour started? close search cue? hunt whistle? (for me, I direct the dog to the area, blow my stop whistle and then my hunt whistle to tell the dog to start hunting. My hunt whistle is a rolling whistle, something like "duduu duduuu"). I've also heard the term "high lost" I don't have this command. When hunting I'll use, "Hunt 'em up," but that isn't to hold a piece of ground but to search more as I direct them, but what I do is really informal and not trained on to much.

search / finding and retrieveing / hunting an area - I send the dog out to find a bird or dummy that neither I nor the dog is exactly sure of where it is, just that it is somewhere in the area. What cue would you use? "go find"/"search"? This would be in a hunting situation and not training or trialing. We place great importance on our dogs being under very good control and going exactly where we direct in training or trialing. In hunting the standards lapse a bit and area hunts are allowed. After the hunting season we usually have to tighten up the dog's control, although the dog's learn fairly quickly the rules of the two different situations.

Yup..........

#8 ·
My hunt whistle is a rolling whistle, something like "duduu duduuu"

Gotta be why HNTFSH wanted it in bigger font - to "envision" that hunt whistle through his
combination Dallesasse periscope and ear trumpet.:wink:

Welcome agrolsy - Howard's provided textbook answers to your questions. One thing to clarify and it's sort of semantics but very important in our trials and tests: When a dog's sent on its name for a retrieve, it's not commanded, but released.

MG

#10 ·
Great, thanks! Then it's quite a bit different from the Swedish ones, very interesting to learn more about it!

Just a final phraising question, would you use the word "marked retrieve" or "marked retrieval"?

Do you have a special term for just running on a straight line and finding the dummy/game (without the need to stop and redirect the dog)? (we would call that "linjetag" (taking the straight line) and if we are stopping and redirecting the dog (left, right, back) we would call it "dirigering" (directing))

#14 ·
Correct. We call it a blind - idea to stay on a line to the bird. Handle if needed to do so (handle being directing). Ironically some judges want to 'see' the handle so as to ascertain the cooperation of the dog with handler. So guys like me whose dog always run an exact straight line to the bird without fail sometimes have to line crooked in the beginning so we can 'handle' once to the bird and satisfy the judge. (kidding).

#15 · (Edited)
There is a dictionary of terms on the first page of this website, before you log on.

If already logged on, go to the box at the upper left of the screen (RTF with a picture of a yellow lab) and click. Then look under Training Articles, then "GOT" (Glossary of Terms).

Hope this helps.

#16 ·
Hi agrolsy.
I was in your position a few years back, and although the glossary is a good start and reference ,It never really tells you the meaning behind the translation?...The 'Jargon' and 'slang' that is used throughout the gundog world - world wide- is so diverse I often wonder what the dogs 'transatlantic' make of it!?..
I am also a member of a site that has a few 'US' contributors,and had some time (well hours actually) explaining what 'Stravaiging' actually meant?.....
Google is a good start,but can mislead you without the 'passion of the meaning/translation'?....So I just plain Asked for clarification! from my good friends across that pond.
....Started typing like them as well!??? . :rolleyes:

#21 ·
As far as I can tell, HNTFSH complained about the font size in the OP using the same font as the OP. So I don't get what he was complaining about. The fonts look the same size to on my computer and iPad.

On a related note, did you all know you could have your browser enlarge the font for you? You don't have to depend on others, you can take control of your own vision! :razz:

On a Mac, which is what I have, you press the command-shift-plus key and presto! Everything is bigger! Or you go to the "view" menu and select "zoom in"! :)

Or you can set the default font size and presto! Everything is bigger all the time.

Not sure how to do it on a PC, but something similar works.

#23 ·
Or!?> You could just let them older guy's with blurred vision put their specs on?...maybe make them 'look closer'?..Or perhaps just let them figure out how they get the font the way they want?..Either way, ...telling them how to fix it ,ain't gonna teach them?..merely show them a way they can resolve that particular issue at that moment in time (if they wish to ?)....Most will just do what they have done before (that works for them!) anyway?> so ..that leads us to - ? ..''CRYPTIC''? you say?..Ha! ..that should answer a few of your questions?..
As for what it has to do with the OP's request?.....Nothing!..lol

#27 ·
I started out with a Kaypro, then went to DOS on a PC, then migrated to Windows when that came out, but got tired of viruses so switched to Mac OS X.

I try to read the computer before me, but sometimes I can't because the font is too small, or worse the color scheme hurts my eyes!

I wonder if these programs are compatible with Lardy, or if Rex Carr would approve of them?

#32 ·
Polmaise started it. :razz:

I'm using Forum runner. It does not display the different font sizes, also the "edited" note does not appear. I'm just now noticing this.

The fact is, the OP was looking for American vocabulary, and has had a good lesson about RTF goobledygook!

#35 · (Edited)
Hi

NO! GoD@#$%^ it get back here!
(My dog goes on Judges number command!_

Back! GAWD DAmn it!!

OVER,,, but watch fer empty buckets!

One long hard blow! So hard yer eyes pop ouya yer head

Get in here you worthless flea bag!

A little nose would sure help!

Good luck Buddy!!!

Big dream!! What church is for

#37 ·
Actually, on a Mac, all you need to do is hit command key and the plus sign key to increase the entire screen size. Forget the shift key. You guys are pretty hard on us old folks with a mature vision disorder. As you have suggested, there are tools to overcome even the smallest font size. I guess if someone goes blind, getting you to type in braille is way out of the question, however.

#38 ·
When you bring one over from across the pond, it's always interesting to find out how well they understand "our" terminology.

My stud dog was on a blind in training, second week I had him. He handled on the term "Get Out!" along with the proper hand signal. He was 25 yards to the right of a 4' barbed wire fence. I gave him a left back and accidentally said "Get Over!" Apparently, he was trained to jump over large obstacles with the term get over. It was pretty cool to watch him leap the fence... But very nerve racking as well!

As to the OP, I use "Steady" to keep mine hunting a tight circle, or a slow rolling "peep" on the whistle... Such as "steady... Peep... Peep... Peep... "

#39 · (Edited)
I used "get over" too when a horse tried to stop on my dog, who was working a mark. i don't know if he understood it, but it worked. Maybe the horse heard me and moved his foot twelve inches to the right. That's what you call a combat situational diversion. Tex got the mark and avoided the hoof. Not going to try that one again though.

#43 ·
You can call it what you will, dummy/dummies/bumper/game/ etc ..I think that's where the 'terminology' and/or misunderstanding-translation can get confusing 'Globally' !...
Let's just call it a 'Target'?..;)
Anyhow, Mine just treat them all as a ''game''.:D

#44 ·
It is all a game. When I wrote the word "game" I meant what some USA ******** call "critters". "Critters" are the species we pursue that our dogs retrieve. In other words, they don't do it so much for the plastic/rubber/canvas. They do it for the feathered (or in your case furred) "game" animals. :cool:

I'm just goofing. I use bumpers way more than birds in my training.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.