The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help on US gun dog retrieving terminology

Quote Originally Posted by crackerd View Post

Gotta be why HNTFSH wanted it in bigger font - to "envision" that hunt whistle through his
    combination Dallesasse periscope and ear trumpet.

Welcome agrolsy - Howard's provided textbook answers to your questions. One thing to clarify and it's sort of semantics but very important in our trials and tests: When a dog's sent on its name for a retrieve, it's not commanded, but released.

MG

Mostly cause I'm getting old MG. Old and cranky. Old and blind. Get off my lawn and don't use the absolute smallest available font on forums.

Now where's my Walmart readers at?
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by agrolsy View Post
    Great, thanks! Then it's quite a bit different from the Swedish ones, very interesting to learn more about it!

Just a final phraising question, would you use the word "marked retrieve" or "marked retrieval"?

Do you have a special term for just running on a straight line and finding the dummy/game (without the need to stop and redirect the dog)? (we would call that "linjetag" (taking the straight line) and if we are stopping and redirecting the dog (left, right, back) we would call it "dirigering" (directing))
    Agrolsy - we all want the linjetag but sometimes have to dirigering to maintain it.

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    Agrolsy - we all want the linjetag but sometimes have to dirigering to maintain it.
    Ok. But you still only call it "a blind", no special term for linjetag?

Correct. We call it a blind - idea to stay on a line to the bird. Handle if needed to do so (handle being directing). Ironically some judges want to 'see' the handle so as to ascertain the cooperation of the dog with handler. So guys like me whose dog always run an exact straight line to the bird without fail sometimes have to line crooked in the beginning so we can 'handle' once to the bird and satisfy the judge. (kidding).

There is a dictionary of terms on the first page of this website, before you log on.

If already logged on, go to the box at the upper left of the screen (RTF with a picture of a yellow lab) and click. Then look under Training Articles, then "GOT" (Glossary of Terms).

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 05-25-2013 at 02:38 PM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Hi agrolsy.
    I was in your position a few years back, and although the glossary is a good start and reference ,It never really tells you the meaning behind the translation?...The 'Jargon' and 'slang' that is used throughout the gundog world - world wide- is so diverse I often wonder what the dogs 'transatlantic' make of it!?..
    I am also a member of a site that has a few 'US' contributors,and had some time (well hours actually) explaining what 'Stravaiging' actually meant?.....
    Google is a good start,but can mislead you without the 'passion of the meaning/translation'?....So I just plain Asked for clarification! from my good friends across that pond.
    ....Started typing like them as well!??? .
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Larger fonts help the old guys see. Sad, but true.

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    Correct. We call it a blind - idea to stay on a line to the bird. Handle if needed to do so (handle being directing). Ironically some judges want to 'see' the handle so as to ascertain the cooperation of the dog with handler. So guys like me whose dog always run an exact straight line to the bird without fail sometimes have to line crooked in the beginning so we can 'handle' once to the bird and satisfy the judge. (kidding).
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    There is a dictionary of terms on the first page of this website, before you log on.

If already logged on, go to the box at the upper left of the screen (RTF with a picture of a yellow lab) and click. Then look under Training Articles, then "GOT" (Glossary of Terms).

Hope this helps.
    Yes, as I wrote in the first post I've read it but I still had some questioens since there are some differences between Sweden and the US

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    Hi agrolsy.
    I was in your position a few years back, and although the glossary is a good start and reference ,It never really tells you the meaning behind the translation?...The 'Jargon' and 'slang' that is used throughout the gundog world - world wide- is so diverse I often wonder what the dogs 'transatlantic' make of it!?..
    I am also a member of a site that has a few 'US' contributors,and had some time (well hours actually) explaining what 'Stravaiging' actually meant?.....
    Google is a good start,but can mislead you without the 'passion of the meaning/translation'?....So I just plain Asked for clarification! from my good friends across that pond.
    ....Started typing like them as well!??? .
    Yes, I agree. I know the terms very well in Swedish but there are quite a few differences I've realised - even if they seem to be the same.