The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Help on US gun dog retrieving terminology

It's always amusing to be criticized for criticism. Something ironic about it.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    It's always amusing to be criticized for criticism. Something ironic about it.
    Polmaise started it.

I'm using Forum runner. It does not display the different font sizes, also the "edited" note does not appear. I'm just now noticing this.

The fact is, the OP was looking for American vocabulary, and has had a good lesson about RTF goobledygook!
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Polmaise started it.
    Ok. Blame the Brit!..Are you 'French'?
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

This is serious stuff guys. I always figure anyone on BST has had a pint or two before posting anyway.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Hi

I need some US terminology help on gun dog terms... I know the terms in Swedish and partly in (Brittish) English, but would appreciate if someone could help me with the US ones. What I write below is how I define it and what I would call it, please give input on what it is really called (or if you know anyone else I could contact). You don't need to answer all the questions, I appreciate every help I can get (yes, I've read the FAQ and the GOT and googled, but I still have some questions)

marked retrieve - dog sees the bird land and fetches it on command. What cue do you use? Dogs name? Fetch?
    NO! GoD@#$%^ it get back here!
    (My dog goes on Judges number command!_

directional retrieve - dog doesn't know where the bird/dummy is and is directed there by the handler. Is it called directional retrieve, or directional retrieval? What cue do you use? "get out"?

Back! GAWD DAmn it!!

casting - same as directional retrieve? for casting left/right, what cue do you use? (hand signal and verbal cue "left"/"right"?)

OVER,,, but watch fer empty buckets!

stop whistle - (or stop cue, stop signal?) dog stops, sitting or standing, and looks at the handler. What type of whistle signal do you use? (I use one short one)

One long hard blow! So hard yer eyes pop ouya yer head

recall whistle - calling the dog to you by whistle instead of using a verbal command. What type of whistle signal do you use? (I use several short ones)

Get in here you worthless flea bag!

enclosed search / holding a piece of ground - not sure at all of this term, but it means that dog dog searches a very small area/stays in that small area to hunt. What would you call the cue to get that behaviour started? close search cue? hunt whistle? (for me, I direct the dog to the area, blow my stop whistle and then my hunt whistle to tell the dog to start hunting. My hunt whistle is a rolling whistle, something like "duduu duduuu"). I've also heard the term "high lost"

A little nose would sure help!

search / finding and retrieveing / hunting an area - I send the dog out to find a bird or dummy that neither I nor the dog is exactly sure of where it is, just that it is somewhere in the area. What cue would you use? "go find"/"search"?

Good luck Buddy!!!

water work / water training - doing all of the above in water

Big dream!! What church is for
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 05-25-2013 at 09:30 PM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

I hope Swedes have a sense of humor! The imports in the midwest weren't real smiley when I was growing up.

Actually, on a Mac, all you need to do is hit command key and the plus sign key to increase the entire screen size. Forget the shift key. You guys are pretty hard on us old folks with a mature vision disorder. As you have suggested, there are tools to overcome even the smallest font size. I guess if someone goes blind, getting you to type in braille is way out of the question, however.

When you bring one over from across the pond, it's always interesting to find out how well they understand "our" terminology.

My stud dog was on a blind in training, second week I had him. He handled on the term "Get Out!" along with the proper hand signal. He was 25 yards to the right of a 4' barbed wire fence. I gave him a left back and accidentally said "Get Over!" Apparently, he was trained to jump over large obstacles with the term get over. It was pretty cool to watch him leap the fence... But very nerve racking as well!

As to the OP, I use "Steady" to keep mine hunting a tight circle, or a slow rolling "peep" on the whistle... Such as "steady... Peep... Peep... Peep... "
    -Barton Ramsey

I used "get over" too when a horse tried to stop on my dog, who was working a mark. i don't know if he understood it, but it worked. Maybe the horse heard me and moved his foot twelve inches to the right. That's what you call a combat situational diversion. Tex got the mark and avoided the hoof. Not going to try that one again though.
    Last edited by forhair; 05-26-2013 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by agrolsy View Post
    Great, thanks! Then it's quite a bit different from the Swedish ones, very interesting to learn more about it!

Just a final phraising question, would you use the word "marked retrieve" or "marked retrieval"?

Do you have a special term for just running on a straight line and finding the dummy/game (without the need to stop and redirect the dog)? (we would call that "linjetag" (taking the straight line) and if we are stopping and redirecting the dog (left, right, back) we would call it "dirigering" (directing))

We have the same situation here in North America as "linjetag". It is called "Lining the blind".

My personal opinion is that the EU folks tend to handle on marks moreso than the North American folks. The EU folks tend to allow their dogs to hunt moreso than the North Americans. Neither is more "right" or "wrong". They are just different and it is all good!
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"