The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mid Range Dog Boxes- Which is the Best?

Default Mid Range Dog Boxes- Which is the Best?

I have been looking for a nice used 2 hole dog box with no luck, so looking to drop the extra cash and buy a new one instead. In your guys opinion which is the best bang for your buck when it comes to a mid range box ($700-$800). I have been looking at Diamond Deluxe, Owens, CSS, etc. but have not been able to really settle on one. If I had to lean towards one it would be the diamond deluxe box. I have read and read through threads on here about this box and that box and their flaws but still I am undecided. If you guys had to buy a box and was limited to the 700-800 dollar range which would you choose. And trust me id much rather buy an Ainley, MTCK, or a deerskin but its just not in the cards right now, maybe in another 5 years . Help me out on this one, its an often asked questions which always seems to be left open ended......looking to go with the 46"W x 46"D x 27"H, with 6 inches of top storage. Do you all think 46 deep is overkill?? Any recommendations to add to a box as well, must haves or a different size you would recommend? Looking at having 23W x 46D x 21H holes so it should be more than enough for a comfortable ride! Help me out guys!!
    Kody Daniel

In the same boat here Kody...looks like there is a nice looking box atop the Classifieds, but I also know Ms. Strange is selling a nice 2 hole box in Illinois. I am interested to hear some of the other member's input on aluminum vs. plastic & non-insulated vs. insulated, etc.
    I know UWS makes a box I have been looking hard at (also because I know a local with a used one for much less than original cost)
    http://www.carid.com/uws/item-311916...AID=1752887473

Best of luck,
    Matt
    Matthew Ries, Pharm.D.

Poole's Matador's Maggie May (04/14/2012 - Present)
    Lacakota Super Magnum (02/20/2002 - 07/2010)

I can't help much but will say: Stay away from diamond deluxe--if you read though the threads, you will find some real horror stories. The quality of the ones I have seen have been dangerously bad. PM Jeff Bandel if you are seriously considering one.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    I can't help much but will say: Stay away from diamond deluxe--if you read though the threads, you will find some real horror stories. The quality of the ones I have seen have been dangerously bad. PM Jeff Bandel if you are seriously considering one.
    DoubleHaul, is it safe to assume UWS is in the same category? I can not find any aluminum thickness numbers posted from Diamond Deluxe's website.
    Matthew Ries, Pharm.D.

Poole's Matador's Maggie May (04/14/2012 - Present)
    Lacakota Super Magnum (02/20/2002 - 07/2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew J. Ries View Post
    DoubleHaul, is it safe to assume UWS is in the same category? I can not find any aluminum thickness numbers posted from Diamond Deluxe's website.
    I have only seen a few UWS and from that, I don't think that they are in the same category. The DD boxes I have seen have things like sharp edges, etc., that could actually hurt your dogs.

I am not at all an authority, though. I just saw DD being considered and wanted to warn the OP to dig deeper on the site about them

I have owned a dd. No safety issues but it was junk. The metal is thin and no insulation to speak of. I would save my money and buy a used stainless. It's what I did and love my deerskin. High quality. I would never buy another in the class your talking about.

I have read some of the threads on DD boxes and mainly saw welding issues being discussed so to hear of sharp edges and other things being wrong is extremely helpful. Leaning away from a DD box now!!
    Kody Daniel

What about Brite N Lite. Anyone had experience with these??
    Kody Daniel

Contact me if you are interested (pm). I bought this box shipped to my door for $450.
    image.jpg
    Bryan Corbett
    Ten Bears Wild Road Trip "Reece"

Guys,

Give MTCK a call and speak to John, let him know you are looking for a aluminum single wall insulated "hunting box". You will be surprised to find out the price he gives you on this box and you wont go wrong, I just picked up my new one last week, I have a thread that under New MTCK if you want to look at it if not I will throw up a pick here for you to see it.
    mtck.jpg
    Rankin' Retrievers