The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Chesapeake problems

Default Chesapeake problems

I have a 5 month old cbr male. The dog is great with the kids and has impressed me so far. The problem is when he is fed if you touch him he growls and I'm not talking a playful growl I'm talking showing teeth I want to kill growl. I just had my hand under his chest petting him and he snapped and bit me. I can feed him from my hand and he's fine. Not real sure what to do any tips would be great.

Gets some info on being a pack leader asap tons of info on the web
    You need to fix this, he thinks he is in charge it will only get worse that kind of behavior
    Is totally unacceptable

Not trying to be a smarta$$ but I would simply feed him in his kennel or crate and just leave him alone while he's eating and teach your kids to do the same thing. If you'd rather take a hands on approach. Feed him then when he growls grab him by the scruff of his neck pick him up give him a good shake and command no in a low growling voice and then take the food away. Before you feed him again make him sit. Once he is sitting patiently then put the bowl down but don't let him charge right in. Make him sit and wait til he calms down. then let him eat.
    Last edited by swamprat II; 08-06-2013 at 09:50 AM.
    Keep the shotgun barrel warm & the dog's feet wet. www.stricklandskennels.com

I do feed him in his kennel and I feel like I've established alpha male with him...its like he's starving I feed him 3 times a day he's so agrressive with his food...I read somewhere that takin his food from him wouldn't help but I'm going to give it a try

Control while preparing and placing the feed pan in front of the dog, meaning sit and do not move until I say so. Then release the dog (I say "chow time") and let it eat unmolested. I'm not a big fan of playing with the dog's food while its eating. If you put a steak down in front of me and then after I eat a few bites you start playing take away with it, you're likely to get a fork in the back of your hand.

If kids are an issue, feed the dog in either a crate or a room away from the kids, and teach the kids not to bother the dog while it's eating.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Normally after we work/play in the evening and its time to go inside I get his food from the garage and we walk around to his kennel I have him sit and stay outside of it and ill go in and fill his bowl come out tell him kennel and in he goes to eat...but this weekend we aren't home...I've noticed before he did it but thought he was over but I guess not

All dogs, especially CBRs, can be possessive and want to assert their dominance. IMHO this is what this about and it needs to be dealt with quick and at a young age.
    Like above make him sit and only eat when you allow it. Feed him on a leash, stand close and directly over him, about half through make him heel away from the food. Once away have him sit then return to the food with you petting him(leash is still on, any aggression pull away from food, and while petting him allow him to return to the food).
    After a few sessions they usually get the message but I still re-check them forever about 2x/week, petting them as they eat or even making them heel way or fetch upon command to convey who is in charge.

He is not being mean. He is just testing you!

Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

Thanks Tim and Sharon. Just went to freshen his water cause its gettin warm down here and he doesn't do it while he is drinking but I guess its different with food.

I don't mess with their food much. I do make them sit and wait until I release them to eat. The only messing I usually do is sometimes going over and adding something special to what they are eating. Then they think it's a good thing when I come near the food. But I would teach your kids to just leave him alone when eating....
    Liz Macpherson
    Rowantide Tollers
    www.rowantide.com

CH Kare's Ocean Tide CDX WC JH (1999-2009-RIP)
    HRCH UH CH Rowantide's Taylor Maid CDX SH, CDN/US WCX (2 MH passes!)
    HR CH Rowantide's Quikkr Pikkr Uppr CD JH, CDN/US WCX
    HR CH Rowantide's Remember Me CD WCX
    UH HRCH CH Rowantide's Celtic Cap WCX
    CH Rowantide's Quack Addict WC
    Rowantide's 1 More 4 the Road
    UH Trinity Just'Nuther Redhead

Anyone can train a Lab......
    maybe even a Toller person....

sorry to hear you are having a problem. not only would i keep my kids away while he was eating, i would keep him away while my kids are eating. be careful and good luck.

pm pete, he can likely help you.
    john mccallie