The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Chesapeake problems

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckfu View Post
    I definitely will keep a watch out. Honestly his marking could be better. We've just started ff and I really wanted to do this but I think I'm going to need a pros help. I just don't want to mess it up
    Just to reassure you, it's common for marking to drop off (in fact, retrieving desire in general might go away temporarily) during FF. Some say don't do any retrieving at all during FF.

I'm not experienced enough to advise you on FF details, but I found getting a good solid hold first helped a lot. Then use the word "fetch" instead of hold as you hand him the buck... continuing to use the word hold after it's in his mouth. When he is taking the buck on the word fetch, then start with the more formal FF procedure, following the program you're working on.

Glad to hear you've made such good progress on the original problem.
    Pam
    Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    It's been my experience that food aggression is often displayed not by a dominant dog, but by one that was lower in the order in its litter, and had to work harder for food. They can carry that need to fight for and defend their food into adulthood.

And anybody that thinks throwing a dog across a room as far as they can is a good way to correct, shouldn't be allowed to own one, and may want to consider anger management classes.
    totally agree with this
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hall View Post
    From much of what I've seen on this thread, your pup is lucky to have such a sane master.
    good post Rick
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three

www.sundownlabs.com

Chuck glad to hear your pup is making progress. Sharon's advice is to me GOLDEN. Rick Smith and his Dad Delmar were were the Gold Standard of dog training for my Dad. I am an old geezer but sometimes the easiest training advice goes overlooked. I have 12 Labs that are feed in 4 large feed pans once a day. If any of them growl they get immediate attention from me as I make them leave the feed pan. This is the simple way I teach them that I let them eat at my discression.(sp). having worked with pointing dogs about 20 years and retrievers since about 1991 the most important thing I have learned is to read your dogs posturing and know what they are saying by their body signs. I have been working with a very promising Lab that was burned in a plastic kennel with a cattle prod for barking. I have had him since last October and yesterday for the first time he kenneled every time with out a fight. Patience and kindness go a long way in dog training ........GOOD LUCK again with your pup. You sound like a very good Master to him.

www.sundownlabs.com

Butch's first hunt. He was almost 9 months. Too young probably but it was a controlled environment. The nooner ranch in Hondo. Great hunt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice job...he doing OK for you.?
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckfu View Post
    Butch's first hunt. He was almost 9 months. Too young probably but it was a controlled environment. The nooner ranch in Hondo. Great hunt.
    Very Nice.......

congrats chuckfu!!!!
    john mccallie

Quote Originally Posted by jd6400 View Post
    Nice job...he doing OK for you.?
    He is doing pretty good. I was proud of him. We've came a long way but still have a ways to go. It's was funny to watch him go after his first live bird. I've thrown him dead ones before but never live.