RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Eukanuba large breed puppy food problems

6K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Tony Marshall 
#1 ·
Has anyone here been having any problems using Eukanuba large breed puppy food ? My pups have been fed only this food since I took their mother out of the pen with them and they have been having bloody runny stools. The Vetrinarian tested them and didn't find anything in a fecal culture and he thought that they may have a stomach virus and gave them medication. This is my first litter ever and I have lost a couple of puppies and I have another one now that may not make it. They turned seven weeks old on May 24th. I googled Eukanuba puppy food bloody stools and there are a bunch of people that have had problems on a forum that came up in the google listing. If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

#2 ·
I'm in the process of switching my pups over from the small breed to Lg breed formula right now (6 wks) and am almost there-- at 75+% Euk LBP now. No problems except when the little "angels" get into other things (ripping the matting up, possibly eating a pellet or 2, munching on garden plants when I'm not on top of them). Are you positive there isn't something else they are eating? I've always had some gastric issues (short term diarrhea, etc) w/ my spring litters it seems, which is why I don't like to raise mine this late typically. I hope you can figure it out quickly!

#3 ·
The thing that leaps to my mind on reading your post is that puppies can have coccidia and still test negative. I would repeat the fecal testing, and bend your vet's ear about treating the symptoms. I would think he or she could suggest a bland diet that would be less challenging to the puppies' digestive tract while they are struggling with whatever-it-is.

#4 ·
I would think its something else. Knock on wood- no problems here with EukLB. and I always have at least one puppy Im raising on it.
Any issues(and my vet thought bacterial), Ivehad were quickly cleared up with liquid oral cephalexin . Good luck- what a nightmare you and your pups are going through...

#5 ·
I'm not sure about Euk, but I was looking at Iams bag the other day and it was made in France. I've seem some others that came from China The formula is not the same. Check your bag for the ingrediants if you still have it. I've since discontinued feeding any dog food not made in America.

#12 · (Edited)
If the food was made in France it is subject to much stricter laws on ingredient quality and processing than it would be in the USA. There are only a handful of foods made in the USA that can be certified to be sold in Europe because the rules are so strict.

The Royal Canin foods made in France, Italy and Germany are much better quality than the ones made here. Think about it, which two countries have the highest standards for people food? Italy and France. Hormones are not allowed, antibiotic use is very low, GMO crops are not grown and pesticide use is restricted. The Europeans already banned the pesticide killing the bee colonies while we wonder what to do.

The meats used in most American foods are either dyed orange(and then back to light brown) or sprayed with liquid charcoal so they are identified as animal food only products.

#7 ·
My lab came from the breeder on euk lbp. His stools were always inconsistent. We switched to Fromm lbp and the same thing. We now feed raw and his stools are always the same and he looks great. Only problem is that it is expensive. If I was to go back to kibble I would go back to Dr. Tim's

#10 ·
It could be a medical issue but I would consider changing foods. I have done trials for a local feed store where I fed half of my kennel brand X and the other half Pro Plan Performance. In some instances I had dogs present with the runny and bloody stools. The very first feeding after going back to Pro Plan yielded well formed stools with no blood. Also I would be concerned that the protein/fat ratio of Eukanuba LBP is not providing the nutritional value needed for a growing puppy. In all of my research I have found that 26/14 is not considered ideal.

#13 ·
How do you figure that Royal Canin is a superior food? The protein/fat ratio in even their hottest food is not near what is recommended for a working dog. Furthermore, the main ingredient is by-product meal. While I don't have a problem with this, it's the same ingredient in all mid grade foods. Then they say that they add a joint and vitamin package when it is a commonly known fact that this is added to the by-product meal before they even get it. You have fallen prey to marketing.

#14 · (Edited)
What I said is that Royal Canin (which is based in France) made in Europe is better than Royal Canin made in the US. In fact, much of the Royal Canin sold in North American is not even made in the US, rather Canada by another company.

I made the statement because someone criticized a food made in France.

Also, Royal Canin does make a hot performance food called Royal Canin Cynotechnique Energy 4800 but you have to call and order it. They don't sell it retail anymore but its not hard to get. It is a 32/30 and a very good food.

I use Dr. Tim's which is priced about the same as Pro Plan at least where I live. Momentum is the top performance food right now. I use Pursuit 30/20 mostly.

#17 ·
I talked to three different vets now and I am having an autopsy done on my puppy. Every test that was done came back negative. Fecal and blood tests. I am going to have an independant lab test out the Eukanuba dog food. I googled Eukanuba large breed puppy food bloody stools and a bunch ( not just a few ) people have encountered the exact same problem with the dog food. Its heart breaking to think that you are doing everything right so that your pups have a great chance a long and healthy life and then have them pass away before they have had the chance to live more than a couple of months. Thanks everyone that has posted a reply on here and also to the folks that sent me private e mails I truly appreciate your responses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.