The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eukanuba large breed puppy food problems

Default Eukanuba large breed puppy food problems

Has anyone here been having any problems using Eukanuba large breed puppy food ? My pups have been fed only this food since I took their mother out of the pen with them and they have been having bloody runny stools. The Vetrinarian tested them and didn't find anything in a fecal culture and he thought that they may have a stomach virus and gave them medication. This is my first litter ever and I have lost a couple of puppies and I have another one now that may not make it. They turned seven weeks old on May 24th. I googled Eukanuba puppy food bloody stools and there are a bunch of people that have had problems on a forum that came up in the google listing. If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.
    Tom Blumer

I'm in the process of switching my pups over from the small breed to Lg breed formula right now (6 wks) and am almost there-- at 75+% Euk LBP now. No problems except when the little "angels" get into other things (ripping the matting up, possibly eating a pellet or 2, munching on garden plants when I'm not on top of them). Are you positive there isn't something else they are eating? I've always had some gastric issues (short term diarrhea, etc) w/ my spring litters it seems, which is why I don't like to raise mine this late typically. I hope you can figure it out quickly!

The thing that leaps to my mind on reading your post is that puppies can have coccidia and still test negative. I would repeat the fecal testing, and bend your vet's ear about treating the symptoms. I would think he or she could suggest a bland diet that would be less challenging to the puppies' digestive tract while they are struggling with whatever-it-is.

I would think its something else. Knock on wood- no problems here with EukLB. and I always have at least one puppy Im raising on it.
    Any issues(and my vet thought bacterial), Ivehad were quickly cleared up with liquid oral cephalexin . Good luck- what a nightmare you and your pups are going through...
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

I'm not sure about Euk, but I was looking at Iams bag the other day and it was made in France. I've seem some others that came from China The formula is not the same. Check your bag for the ingrediants if you still have it. I've since discontinued feeding any dog food not made in America.

Have my litter now on Euk weaning formula and the've done fine. I would be looking into it being coccidia as well.

My lab came from the breeder on euk lbp. His stools were always inconsistent. We switched to Fromm lbp and the same thing. We now feed raw and his stools are always the same and he looks great. Only problem is that it is expensive. If I was to go back to kibble I would go back to Dr. Tim's

Had same problem and never had solid stool. Switch to sport mix, i did and now he looks healthier, coat is as shiny as I ever seen.
    Old River's "Mac" of Candlewoods

Have you seen the vet for parvo.

It could be a medical issue but I would consider changing foods. I have done trials for a local feed store where I fed half of my kennel brand X and the other half Pro Plan Performance. In some instances I had dogs present with the runny and bloody stools. The very first feeding after going back to Pro Plan yielded well formed stools with no blood. Also I would be concerned that the protein/fat ratio of Eukanuba LBP is not providing the nutritional value needed for a growing puppy. In all of my research I have found that 26/14 is not considered ideal.