The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: Would you be in favor of a requirement for a 50% completion rate before a dog can be awarded a Mast

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 24.60%
  • No

95 75.40%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MH title

Default MH title

From another post it has been discussed whether or not Master titled dogs should be required to achieve at minimum a 50% success rate before being awarded the title MH. In other words, should a dog be allowed unlimited entries to acheive 5 (or 6) passes for the title?

Steve, or anyone in favor of this.
    Conceptually. How would it work?
    I mean after the dog has been mathematically eliminated ie. less than 5 out of 10 or 6 out of 12, then what?
    john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

I thought some very good points, were brought up in favor of the 50 percent pass rate, on another thread.

And obviously, esp. if you were breeding, the dog that goes 5/5, than the one that goes 5/11, is a better candidate.

But, in the end, who does the pass percentage rate really matter to? The dog's owner and whoever is interested in breeding to the dog. The former knows and the latter should do his homework. I don't think the title for a dog that goes 5/20 cheapens the title for the dog with the 100 percent pass rate. HT aren't supposed to be competitive. There is another sport for that.

Default 50% pass

The dog is never out until it dies or his owner's common sense takes over. You could start with 10 failures. Then pass on the next 10 for a total of 20 attemps and 10 passes = 50%

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R.
    And obviously, esp. if you were breeding, the dog that goes 5/5, than the one that goes 5/11, is a better candidate.
    Not always.
    What about the dg that is going through an issue and fails 2,3,4 but works through it then passes the next 5? It could be trainer error, etc, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R.
    I thought some very good points, were brought up in favor of the 50 percent pass rate, on another thread.

But, in the end, who does the pass percentage rate really matter to? The dog's owner and whoever is interested in breeding to the dog. The former knows and the latter should do his homework. I don't think the title for a dog that goes 5/20 cheapens the title for the dog with the 100 percent pass rate. HT aren't supposed to be competitive. There is another sport for that.
    Is the dog that goes 5/5 really a better candidate? A newby with a kick butt dog can easily mess up on tests, training, etc... If I were serious about breeding to a dog, I would look at the bigger picture: can he/she mark, tractable, style, intelligence, pedigree, accomplishments of others from the same litter relative to the owner/trainer...
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

Geeze, let's not even go down that road!

5/5 under "pass 'em all" judges vs 3/8 under "let's see how we can blow the dogs' minds this week!" judges. Which dog is better for the gene pool?

Too many vairables to make it truly meaningful. Read my sig line.

Lisa
    "Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here." - Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets

http://www.chessieinfo.net

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

My first master candidate, Gunny took 15 tests to get the 5 legs. She fubared a couple, I really fubared a bunch and she got shafted by bad tests the rest of the time. This dog also completed 50% of the Qualifyings she entered with ribbons, including a second, 2 thirds and2 fourths.(and an Open Jam). By the 50% standard she would never have gotten her MH.

Like I was at the time, there are beau coups newbies in the master at any one time and a fair number of them have good dogs. ANY change in the 5/6 pass to a title rule that makes things tougher would eliminate more than a few of these folks from finishing a dog. What it would do is make the master a totally pro dominated game as these newbies would either give up or send their dog out to be trained and run. I have no problem with pros running hunt tests, BUT the game was invented for Joe Sixpack to run his dog.
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

What I should have said instead of the 5/5 dog being obviously a better bet is that on paper it looks like the better dog. A 50 percent rule might exclude some dogs from titling that were better dogs but victims of bad luck, newbie owners, etc. Which is why I voted no.

Why stop Once you get your Title .
    Just to be sure that it wasn't a fluke.
    Make it so you must maintain that 50% pass rate or lose your Title :P
    john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"