The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Hillman Land

Default Hillman Land

Anybody on here using Hillman's land series dvd for handling? If so what do you think does he take you all the way through cold blinds?

I have not but plan to use his system all the way through. I am also curios to hear others results/progress.

Quote Originally Posted by labman626 View Post
    Anybody on here using Hillman's land series dvd for handling? If so what do you think does he take you all the way through cold blinds?
    I am learning and training using Hillmann's philosophy and methods ... Puppy, Fetch Command, Traffic Cop and Fundamentals (Land and Water). I think this material gives you and your dog the knowledge and skills to run cold blinds at a high level.

At a Hillmann seminar I attended, Bill briefly discussed his approach to transition blinds. He talked about Pattern Blinds, Walk-out Blinds, School Blinds and Cold Blinds. He said that a dog doesn't really learn much doing a cold blind, so many experienced trainers don't do very many cold blinds. The key is to get them started (running blinds) in a way that encourages and fosters momentum. You do not want to create or practice a habit of poor momentum.

This approach is reflected in the Hillmann training DVDs. All the component handling skills are taught in the yard, and then practiced to perfection. Great emphasis is placed upon the dog's attitude to do the work. The dog must always be excited to do the work and always having fun.

Walk-out Blinds are the core of Hillmann's transitional blind training. They easily fulfill the key elements of his training approach. It's easy to get the dogs excited, happy and having fun. They encourage momentum and confidence. Any terrain feature or concept can be introduced and practiced using walk-out blinds. They can be run as multiples and repeated as school blinds.

Jim