The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pattern blinds

Default Pattern blinds

How meny of you do your pattern blinds in several locations
    Like a set in one location for a week. Then go to a totally new location do anther set for a week. Then move again. I'm no pro but had a pro over the other day and he told me that a dog running long pattern blinds in the same place is not learning nothing by arrowing them and I shouldn't be lining the dog up as good as I was I needed to send him down a false line so I could handle him. Really is this a new method he told me I was too old school. Anyone ever hear or do this ?

Yes I do that with my young one. At first when teaching him I would repeat in the same area for a few days. But not now I change it up. I even do the PB in fields that are a bit more challenging with factors. MO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

I don't subscribe to the notion of sending the dog down a false line just so you can get a handle. The whole point of pattern blinds is to get the dogs confidence up in blind running. The other thing about blinds is that you and the dog are learning to work together as a team and I wouldn't do anything that violates the trust that you are trying to build in your dog. I do however tend to agree that if you are running the same three blinds from the same location day in and day out that there is really not much benefit to be gained. I like to do three days on a set of blinds. The first day I run them as bird boy blinds. The second I run them cold and get a few casts and corrections but have the bb available to help if needed. The third, they are established and the dogs think they are invincible, flying to the blind. I have had great success teaching young dogs to handle cold set ups this way.

I don't do pattern blinds, but the basic and transition drills I do do, I take to several different fields before I feel we're done with that particular drill.

I agree with your pro that they aren't learning much repeating the same drill in the same place adnauseum.

I am not so sure about the pro's 2nd point though. I don't want to nit pick and pick and pick on a youngster for the absolute perfect line, but I don't want to send them down the wrong line either. Thank goodness my dogs give me lots of opportunities to handle for less than perfect lines and giving in to one factor or another.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Pattern blind should only take a week or so. Move on

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

I teach pattern blinds so that I can do blind drills. As soon as the dog can line the pattern blinds I'll start blind drills.

Pattern blinds work well at least for me by

further teaching a dog to carry a line past a gun

further teaching a dog to carry through marks

run like hell till I tell you to stop

attack difficult barriers or handle over them from long distances by braking the blind down in pieces

fly past a poison bird

hit a small piece of water at a long distance

help maintain motivation

the list is endless on what pattern blinds can aid a dog in learning.
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

I run pattern blinds in different places, but only because I teach one pattern very short at first. Then I set up a new pattern with longer blinds, and then another with blinds about 150 yards. The whole process usually takes about a week and a half to two weeks. When the dog cues up well, runs hard to them, we're done. Time to move on to transitional drills with cold blinds.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

I just think its funny there are 101 ways to train a dog. A big money big name trainer told me one
    time take what you like from others methods that work for you and remember every dog is different you may have to change methods.

Pete I totally agree
    Last edited by Joel907; 05-27-2013 at 11:17 AM.

I agree with Pete. I also set up different tune up drills on land and on water to teach the dogs how to handle hard concepts and when I'm able to use different grounds and run cold blinds the dogs do those concepts really well. I don't buy into always doing cold blinds, I think teaching and reviewing pattern blinds keep the dog refreshed on handling the different concepts and maintains their momentum. A trainer should balance running pattern blinds and running cold blinds to what woks well for his dog. Oh and Joe instead of false lining your dog to a pattern blind, why not have several so after sending to one blind you can stop the dog and cast to another? Train the dog and do what works best for it.