The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Article on Lyme Vaccine

Banned

Even better article (American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine):

http://www.cvm.ncsu.edu/vhc/document...sstmtACVIM.pdf

of interest....most of the diplomates of the ACVIM do not vaccinate for Lyme.
    There is evidence that Lyme positive dogs should not be vaccinated.
    There is concern that the Lyme vaccination itself may cause Lyme Nephropathy

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Of note: This year's National Amateur Retriever Championship is going to be held in one of the "hot spots" for Lyme disease.

From the first article: "...in Western and Northwestern parts of Wisconsin infection occurs in 60 to 90% of all dogs. In those areas, vaccination is of benefit in reducing clinical disease. ..."
    LymeRisk.jpg
    Everyone going there should at least treat with Advantix II or the like.

Perhaps Jack Unbehaun (junbe) can tell us his experience with Lyme in western Wisconsin. Ann Heise must know the stories from that region, too. When I used to belong to Blackhawk RC, I used to put pyrethrin spray on the dogs as soon as I got there. I still use it on my boots and pant legs around here. It's not Spring in Iowa unless you pick off a few ticks...

==

I have vaccinated my dogs for Lyme (and Lepto) annually for years. We live on the edge of an area of high incidence of Lyme and I travel a lot with my dogs. My vet didn't used to carry the Lepto combination vaccine because it's not very common here and Dachunds are sensitive to it, so I did it myself in consultation with him. This year he had it and I got the shots there. (He has been giving the Lyme because I couldn't get the recombitec vaccine.)

I also got the human vaccine over a decade ago when it was available. Last summer my wife and I got a rash that looked like Lyme and my physician treated me immediately. My wife's didn't treat her because she is sensitive to doxycycline. My test came back positive, hers negative (and my positive could have been my vaccination, I suppose.)

Right now my daughter has symptoms that might be Lyme's. It's very serious if it's not treated soon...

==

So consult with your vet (or physician). Advice like "trimming your lawn" isn't going to help field trial/hunting dogs...

Good luck avoiding all the tick-borne diseases!
    Last edited by Keith Stroyan; 05-27-2013 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Add map

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Stroyan View Post
    Of note: This year's National Amateur Retriever Championship is going to be held in one of the "hot spots" for Lyme disease.

From the first article: "...in Western and Northwestern parts of Wisconsin infection occurs in 60 to 90% of all dogs. In those areas, vaccination is of benefit in reducing clinical disease. ..."
    LymeRisk.jpg
    Everyone going there should at least treat with Advantix II or the like.

Perhaps Jack Unbehaun (junbe) can tell us his experience with Lyme in western Wisconsin. Ann Heise must know the stories from that region, too. When I used to belong to Blackhawk RC, I used to put pyrethrin spray on the dogs as soon as I got there. I still use it on my boots and pant legs around here. It's not Spring in Iowa unless you pick off a few ticks...

==

I have vaccinated my dogs for Lyme (and Lepto) annually for years. We live on the edge of an area of high incidence of Lyme and I travel a lot with my dogs. My vet didn't used to carry the Lepto combination vaccine because it's not very common here and Dachunds are sensitive to it, so I did it myself in consultation with him. This year he had it and I got the shots there. (He has been giving the Lyme because I couldn't get the recombitec vaccine.)

I also got the human vaccine over a decade ago when it was available. Last summer my wife and I got a rash that looked like Lyme and my physician treated me immediately. My wife's didn't treat her because she is sensitive to doxycycline. My test came back positive, hers negative (and my positive could have been my vaccination, I suppose.)

Right now my daughter has symptoms that might be Lyme's. It's very serious if it's not treated soon...

==

So consult with your vet (or physician). Advice like "trimming your lawn" isn't going to help field trial/hunting dogs...

Good luck avoiding all the tick-borne diseases!
    You are misreading the article...infection rates don't translate into disease. It is the same where I live and only about 3% of those infected actually get sick. You really shoudn't vaccinate a dog that has already tested positive, ie been "infected".
    Last edited by SpinRetriever; 05-27-2013 at 01:20 PM.

Rochester, MN Bob & Ann Heise HiRollerLabs.com

Yes, the location of the Amateur National 2013 does have ticks, and there have been cases of Lyme Disease there. Those who are attending may want to take precautions against ticks on their dogs and on themselves.
    Bob/Ann Heise
    "Show up. Dominate. Go home." Dan Gable

"There is no such thing as perfection. There is always a higher level." Dan Gable

"Look at pressure as an opportunity." Tom Brands

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 2010

I don't believe in allowing wine to breathe. I prefer mouth-to-wine resuscitation.

Quote Originally Posted by SpinRetriever View Post
    You are misreading the article......
    Humm?, I quoted the article. AND didn't recommend vaccination, though I have done it in the past based on the information at the time. I haven't decided on vaccinations for next year yet.

Folks visiting W. WI SHOULD use something like Advantix II while they're there.

Good reads. Thanks for sharing. Makes me realize my dogs are at lower risk than I imagined here in Northern California and Oregon.

In the northeast approx 85 percent of dogs are tested positive for exposure but only a small percent of those actually test positive for infection. So much controversy regarding vaccinating. As I live and tran in Lyme central I vaccinate all my dogs yearly for Lyme. All of my dogs have tested positive on the SNAP test, but only one was truly infected and it played hell with him. I have given up on frontline and advantix as they simply don't work here. For the past 3 years I have used Scalibor collars on my dogs and have not had to pick off a single tick. I hear there is some controversy about using it on intact breeding males due to some tests that were done with mice, but I did not see a problem with my male regards that.

Dawn
    Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HRCH WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC; Adirondac Tracks in the Wilderness

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

Quote Originally Posted by hotel4dogs View Post
    Even better article (American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine):

http://www.cvm.ncsu.edu/vhc/document...sstmtACVIM.pdf

of interest....most of the diplomates of the ACVIM do not vaccinate for Lyme.
    There is evidence that Lyme positive dogs should not be vaccinated.
    There is concern that the Lyme vaccination itself may cause Lyme Nephropathy
    There is not as much risk with the newer vaccines. Don't buy them from the supply house, and make sure your vet is using the new vaccines that are out.

There are also tests that will differentiate between active disease, exposure and vaccination levels. While none of the tests are perfect, it is better than nothing.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

The risk is not from the vaccination, per se, but from the antibodies that the body forms. They are what cause the kidney issue, not the Lyme itself. No one is certain *which* antibodies are causing the kidney disease. Thus the concern is that the vaccination (new, old or otherwise) causes the body to form the same antibodies that, in some dogs, can cause glomerulonephritis. Unfortunately, both Labrador and Golden retrievers are very highly represented in the dogs who seem to be affected that way.

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    There is not as much risk with the newer vaccines. Don't buy them from the supply house, and make sure your vet is using the new vaccines that are out.

There are also tests that will differentiate between active disease, exposure and vaccination levels. While none of the tests are perfect, it is better than nothing.
    Last edited by hotel4dogs; 05-27-2013 at 03:51 PM.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com