The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Article on Lyme Vaccine

Quote Originally Posted by hotel4dogs View Post
    The risk is not from the vaccination, per se, but from the antibodies that the body forms. They are what cause the kidney issue, not the Lyme itself. No one is certain *which* antibodies are causing the kidney disease. Thus the concern is that the vaccination (new, old or otherwise) causes the body to form the same antibodies that, in some dogs, can cause glomerulonephritis. Unfortunately, both Labrador and Golden retrievers are very highly represented in the dogs who seem to be affected that way.
    It is my understanding that the incidence level is not there with the new vaccines. It was more common with the old vaccines. While I would not give the old vaccine, I am giving the new one, as I don't want Lyme on board one of my dogs. If they get lyme with another TBD is is a lot worse (Double trouble), and I don't want the possible long term effect of lyme disease cropping up when they are older.
    Last edited by JusticeDog; 05-27-2013 at 03:14 PM.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

I use the spray on my boots, pants and around the dogs legs. Found it to be helpful! Have to keep applying if you are working in water. I do have a collar which I am going to have to remember to put it on. I really do think these help! IMO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Bayer just came out with a tick and flea collar that lsats 8 months. The name I think is Sentra. Has anyone tried this product?
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

They've never proven an incidence level with either vaccine. It's just conjecture (in the article, see page 8, item #25) based on science. Part of the problem is that when a dog develops lyme nephritis, they don't know if it's from the vaccination, or if at some point the dog has been lyme positive. So they are basing the theory that the vaccination might cause nephritis on human and cat studies.

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    It is my understanding that the incidence level is not there with the new vaccines. It was more common with the old vaccines. While I would not give the old vaccine, I am giving the new one, as I don't want Lyme on board one of my dogs. If they get lyme with another TBD is is a lot worse (Double trouble), and I don't want the possible long term effect of lyme disease cropping up when they are older.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP OFP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

I live in NW WI, (about 2.5 hours north of where the Nat Am will be held). Lots of ticks, lots of Lyme and other TBD. I use Frontline and apply it every 3 weeks. I don't keep my dogs out of water, but, I do apply in the evening after last airing so they don't jump in the pool, etc. I don't find many attached ticks on the dogs, very few, especially in comparison to how many I find on myself, in my vehicle, and in the house.

When it is heavy tick season, as well as a fresh hatch of flies or skeeters, I'll spray the dogs with a pyrethrin-based fly spray (unless contra-indicated) before heading into the field. I go over the dogs when we come in the house. I don't like chemicals on the dogs particularly, but, I don't like them dying of kidney failure or incurring joint damage or any of the other host of problems caused by TBD. Lesser of two evils, I guess.

I also do two courses a year of doxycycline because I don't believe anything will prevent ticks 100%. I don't vaccinate for Lyme because I personally question it's usefulness, but, I'm not a vet, just my personal opinion and my "protocol" is working for me. I've been pretty fortunate, overall, as far as TBD in my dogs to date, considering where we live and what we do. When I worked for the vet, TBD-symptomatic dogs were pretty much a daily occurrence in season.

There's no reason to panic or freak about ticks, but, be informed and smart about prevention and checking the dogs for ticks, be alert for dogs being "off" in any way and be proactive if they do get sick. Summer's too darned short not to be outside enjoying every minute of it!
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Quote Originally Posted by hotel4dogs View Post
    They've never proven an incidence level with either vaccine. It's just conjecture (in the article, see page 8, item #25) based on science. Part of the problem is that when a dog develops lyme nephritis, they don't know if it's from the vaccination, or if at some point the dog has been lyme positive. So they are basing the theory that the vaccination might cause nephritis on human and cat studies.
    Other theories are that it is an auto-immune response, which means its all a crap shoot. I based my response on veterinarians with extremely large practices and who can provide real-life data. I don't know any regular veterinarian in the Chicagoland area that can provide the data that I have gotten from veterinarians.

As one known researcher has stated, giving a Lyme vaccine is just providing another arrow in the quiver of protection for your dog. It is also an individual decision that one should make after having discussions with their veterinarian.

I know of instances were dogs developed Lyme nephritis after testing negative for Lyme on a snap 4 and then being given the old Lyme vaccine.
    Last edited by JusticeDog; 05-27-2013 at 05:51 PM.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Kim,

What spray are you using?

Sue Puff
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

Farnam Repel-x, labeled for horses & dogs. I don't spray their faces or use it on puppies or pregnant bitches.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

I use Adams Flea and Tick spray . It repels great
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by yellow machine View Post
    Bayer just came out with a tick and flea collar that lsats 8 months. The name I think is Sentra. Has anyone tried this product?
    Seresto. Yes I have been using for about a month, not one tick.

It is Advantix in a collar form.

49.99 less a 20 rebate