The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pet health insurance

Default Pet health insurance

Who has it on their dog/s, and thru who?
    Out of pocket treatments are quite expensive, so was wondering if its worth carrying it.

Rochester, MN Bob & Ann Heise HiRollerLabs.com

If you search for health insurance, you should find some good threads here. I have PetPlan on an older dog. Have not had reason to use it and hope not to need it. Some on here are pro PetPlan and others have switched to other companies.
    Bob/Ann Heise
    "Show up. Dominate. Go home." Dan Gable

"There is no such thing as perfection. There is always a higher level." Dan Gable

"Look at pressure as an opportunity." Tom Brands

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 2010

I don't believe in allowing wine to breathe. I prefer mouth-to-wine resuscitation.

Ted Shih wrote an interesting thread about the various companies and comparing them.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

I've used Petplan for years and have had no problems and it is what I suggest for my puppy homes, though I give them the website, http://www.petinsurancereview.com/ and they can make their own choices. Things change all the time.

Not a ton of claims but what I've had has been paid. The premiums are creeping up every year but it is still a bargain if you get a pup on from the start, IMO. Just treating a dog for blasto a couple years ago more than paid for the premiums on the whole bunch.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

My veterinarian has been recommending Trupanion lately because of the claims he sees being paid without question. They even cover performance dogs legitimately. Keep in mind that people get paid $25 referral fees from Pet Plan to recommend someone to the program. If you refer a bunch of people you certainly can get your annual premium paid for in referral fees. I cannot recommend in good conscience Pet Plan because of the difficulties that I, and others, have experienced with the company.
    Last edited by JusticeDog; 05-27-2013 at 05:57 PM.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

FWIW, I've NEVER gotten a referral fee from Petplan, I base my opinions upon my own experiences with multiple dogs being covered by Petplan.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

My vet gave me a trial 30 day plan with trupanion, and AKC keeps sending me emails about the one thru them. I haven't compared them yet.
    Was just wondering if insurance was good, bad, or a waste, and maybe who had what.

Mark - seems to me the devil is in the details and plans change. Plans sometimes have renewal clauses which allow plan change in renewal years. So what's good today might not be the best tomorrow (or next year).

A lot of people don't understand their own health plan details/or limitations so expect to drill in. Actuaries are great at what they do.

Sounds like Ted's post a good start.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

My clients that had insurance seemed happy with trupanion- they paid for quite a bit, it seems. Their premiums are also substantially more expensive... the quote I got for my own dog from them was >2.5 times every one else.

I think most of the complaints that I got was about people not thoroughly reading their paperwork and understanding what was and was not covered.
    Natalie Fraser, DVM
    Trifecta Labradors

Home to my heart dog, Hudson:
    Am/Can Ch. Marshyhope's Satisfaction, CGC, WC, CDX, RE, JH

I use pet plan also never made cliam but seems like good company.
    Quote Originally Posted by rainmaker View Post
    i've used petplan for years and have had no problems and it is what i suggest for my puppy homes, though i give them the website, http://www.petinsurancereview.com/ and they can make their own choices. Things change all the time.

Not a ton of claims but what i've had has been paid. The premiums are creeping up every year but it is still a bargain if you get a pup on from the start, imo. Just treating a dog for blasto a couple years ago more than paid for the premiums on the whole bunch.