The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pet health insurance

Quote Originally Posted by Trifecta View Post
    My clients that had insurance seemed happy with trupanion- they paid for quite a bit, it seems. Their premiums are also substantially more expensive... the quote I got for my own dog from them was >2.5 times every one else.

I think most of the complaints that I got was about people not thoroughly reading their paperwork and understanding what was and was not covered.
    their premiums don't change much through the life of the dog. If the price of vet care increases dramatically in your area, they could cause a premium to increase, but not due to age. I have had substantial increases on a 6 year old with Pet Plan. I am paying about $675 per year.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    their premiums don't change much through the life of the dog. If the price of vet care increases dramatically in your area, they could cause a premium to increase, but not due to age. I have had substantial increases on a 6 year old with Pet Plan. I am paying about $675 per year.
    When I got several quotes from different companies with the same deductible and reimbursement level, the monthly cost of the premium was WAY higher for Trupanion than others. For example, VPI was about $25/mo, and Trupanion was about $70. I did not strictly analyze the schedules of benefits on both, but I was surprised in the monthly cost variability. With that said, I definitely had clients that had pets with chronic medical conditions that were quite expensive, and Trupanion kept paying... so the cost may be well worth it. I also know that Trupanion covers stuff that many of the other companies don't (prescription diets, for example).
    Natalie Fraser, DVM
    Trifecta Labradors

Home to my heart dog, Hudson:
    Am/Can Ch. Marshyhope's Satisfaction, CGC, WC, CDX, RE, JH

Quote Originally Posted by Trifecta View Post
    When I got several quotes from different companies with the same deductible and reimbursement level, the monthly cost of the premium was WAY higher for Trupanion than others. For example, VPI was about $25/mo, and Trupanion was about $70. I did not strictly analyze the schedules of benefits on both, but I was surprised in the monthly cost variability. With that said, I definitely had clients that had pets with chronic medical conditions that were quite expensive, and Trupanion kept paying... so the cost may be well worth it. I also know that Trupanion covers stuff that many of the other companies don't (prescription diets, for example).

I did the same thing. VPI pays only according to a schedule of benefits. My Pet Plan premium started out at about $35 per month, and I just looked because they overlooked processing some claims, the premium went from $350 to $687 (dog is now 6). My vet indicates they have a lot less hassle getting claims paid with Trupanion. I have had numerous incidents with Pet Plan where their adjustor (purportedly a vet tech) wants to second guess my vet's treatment. I am looking at them for my puppy. I have it in writing that they do not increase premiums due to age or number of claims - only on costs in the geographic area. i can only imagine what the premium will go to on my 6 year old in the next couple of years.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

So, majority says, go with trupanion?
    Im looking at about 55 bucks a month with a 100 dollar deductible.
    50, with a 200.

To add another on to the mix....I have VPI and have habit for 6 years. I don't get the basics, only for emergencies. I have had some big claims over the years due to freak accidents and never had an issue. One time I had to sendin records on a bitch due to multiple claims...3 skin issues in a row, but when they saw they were unrelated, promptly paid. If my guys were couch potatoes, I probably would do it, but they are active and working. I think it's paid for itself and well worth it.

I think you'll find that most have had good and bad experiences with all. Look for Teds thread. Very informative.

Sue Puff
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

I have three dogs with Pet Plan, which I picked largely based on Ted's analysis. I am about to make my first claim today, since one of my critters had surgery over the weekend to remove a blockage, so I will let you know how that goes.

Susan is right that the premiums can get pricey as the dogs get older. I was looking at what I pay for each dog and the 9 year old is a lot, to say the least.

Jeff Telander
    Durham, NC

FC AFC CT Broad Reach Devil Made Me Doit CD "Sinner"

Forever in my heart
    OTCh Broad Reach Diesel TD MH UDX2***
    CH Broad Reach Gripper UD MH
    OTCh R Labs Darth Wader TD JH
    OTCh Teracroft Topaz TD JH

If it works for you, go for it, there's no right or wrong answer, plenty of choices, just do your own research, read the fine print in all of them, compare, be sure you understand what is required of you, call and ask, ask, ask but don't take anything verbal as gospel, get it in writing. I have multiple dogs, price does play a factor for me, as well as coverage and reliability. My dogs are right around $200/annual premium each for my dogs ranging in age from 5 mos to 4 years, with Petplan's Bronze, which is 10K limit a year, $200 deduct and 80% co-pay. My oldest (Lab) on the policy at 8 y/o got up to about $300 a year. Geographics plays a part in premiums, I'm in a cheap area. I basically just want major medical to cover the big stuff that is of concern to me, paying high premiums negates the benefits for me, as does paying for insurance that doesn't actually cover what concerns me. Or doesn't pay at all, because I didn't pay attention to the details.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

What about Mortality? I carry Major Medical and Mortality on my horses, and am considering it on our dog. She is in training in Tx, and while I wouldnt trade her for the world, we do have a significant amount invested in her via training. I know it is pretty reasonable.. Like $350/yr for Mortality and a $7500 Colic plan on a $15,000 horse... Curious
    Brian & Jennifer Tucker
    Bennett, Colorado

Marks-A-Lot Babyface (2003 HR CH Marks A Lot Gangster QAA MNH CD WCX x Marks-A-Lot Call Me Cathy)

Marks-A-Lot Gangster's Midnite Star SH (2012 HR CH Marks A Lot Gangster QAA MNH CD WCX X Crabby Patty JH)

Dixie's Crimson Tide MH (Yup...a Golden!)

Marks-A-Lot's Irish Boy- AKA"The Pup"

I have Pet Plan on both of my dogs and have had a couple of claims on the older dog. Pet Plan has been great and paid their share of the claim in a timely manner. You have to submit the vet notes but I have not had them second guess or question the veterinarian.

John