The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting my first Chessie Pup this weekend

Default Getting my first Chessie Pup this weekend

I pick up my pup Saturday. I have trained two Labs before, we went to a few Hunt test, mostly duck hunted with them. Is there any thing I should know or beware of? I plan on following Duck Dog Basic and Duck Dog Basic II. I think I can train a HRCH.
    Scratch

Congrats. been awhile since I've seen Duck Dawg Basics and no offense to Akins but seem to remember it being a little lite - but priced as such. Been PM-ing another who has both and indicated the same, particularly on Collar Conditioning and Force Fetch. Your mileage May Vary. Might start there but think Lardy would fill in the balance of your training needs. I'm not against watching more and asking about the differences you note. It's better than not seeing/learning enough and asking questions you could have answered yourself.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Congrats and good luck with the new pup! I have a friend who used duck dog basics and was happy with it. A lot of people I train with use lardy's TRT, I'm using smart works. Find one that you understand and stick to it.

Congratulations on the new puppy! You're in for an adventure.

I'm not familiar with the materials you mention, but in general you can teach Chesapeakes all the material in methods used for Labs, but the way you motivate them is a little different. Sometimes they will test you--try not to get mad. They are trying to figure out *all* of the rules, not just the one thing you are trying to make them do. They seem to want to have input, and to resist being "made" to do stuff. If you show them how to do something, repeat, and encourage, they will learn most things. Then you can add a little pressure to formalize it once the pattern is established.

Some Peakes get bored with drills. I would keep sessions short, and once he or she gets the gist of it, move on.

Good luck and have fun!

Amy Dahl

Some of the best books to buy available from Willow Creek Press are "The 10-Minute Retriever" and "Retriever Trouble-shooting" by John and Amy Dahl. These are really good, common-sense books filled with lots of helpful information. There is also a website "Team Chesapeake" which you might enjoy if you don't already belong to it. Lots of help from actual owners, trainers and Chesapeake affectionados on that site! http://teamchesapeake.infopop.cc/groupee/forums
    Best of luck and enjoy your journey!
    Last edited by Pat Puwal; 05-27-2013 at 03:15 PM. Reason: left out quote mark

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Is there any thing I should know or beware of?
    1) They need to understand why. "Because I said so" isn't always good enough.
    2) They remember good and bad.
    3) Increasing force or pressure will often place you in a losing battle of wills.
    4) Socialize from day 1, people and places.

Congratulations, Good Luck and Have Fun,

Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Carrion View Post
    1) They need to understand why. "Because I said so" isn't always good enough.
    2) They remember good and bad.
    3) Increasing force or pressure will often place you in a losing battle of wills.
    4) Socialize from day 1, people and places.

Congratulations, Good Luck and Have Fun,

Tim
    This!

Congrats on your new puppy!
    HRCH Walkers Puddle Jumpin Koda "Koda"
    SHR Duncan's Haulin a Limit "Limit"
    Bourbon Bay's Other Woman "Jolene"

All of what Tim posted is very very important information. but #4 if the most important thing for a Chesapeake. get the puppy around as many kids and adults as you can. Puppy class's are good no matter the venue be it Akc clubs Petsmart or whatever. Get it around as many dogs as possible. I took my puppy through a 6 week Conformation class and she now likes everybody and every dog she see she thinks they are her friend. Had 3 young girls show her in four shows this weekend and she showed perfectly for all three.
    Clay
    Blue Skies Eye of the Storm MH
    Blue Skies Rags to Richs MH
    Blue Skies Travelin Man MH
    Blue Skies Snowy River Cruse SH
    Blue Skies Rough Rider Kate SH
    and all Chesapeake Bay Retrievers

Socialization, Socialization and more socialization. I know others have said it but this is the one thing that is most important for a chessie pup. It is not enough to have them around your dogs. you need to bring them out to dog classes and to areas that they will be around other people and learn that you will take care of them and protect them and that people and other dogs are just fine.

Everyone has given lots of good advice. What inspired you to go "brown"?