The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Bringing Female Pup to Male Kennel

  1. #1
    Senior Member TexGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Posts
    237

    Default Bringing Female Pup to Male Kennel

    Planning on bringing a female pup home. I have 6 and a 7 year old males, both intact. I plan on just letting them share the one large kennel and house as the boys always have. Thoughts? Also any advice about signs of the girl going into heat? I don't need any unwanted or premature pregnancies. Of course once I know she is in heat I will keep her separate, probably crated or loose in the house. Suggestions and wisdom welcomed. Never had a co-Ed kennel before
    "When a man is proud of his dog and shows it, I like him. When his dog is proud of him and shows it, I deeply respect him. Gene Hill

  2. #2
    Senior Member Rainmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NW WI
    Posts
    3,611

    Default

    I hope you don't mean literally leaving a puppy with two adult males in one big kennel.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Longview Texas
    Posts
    593

    Default

    You better be careful because the first heat is sometimes silent and you won't know it until she's pregnant at nine months old.

  4. #4
    Senior Member TexGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Posts
    237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    I hope you don't mean literally leaving a puppy with two adult males in one big kennel.
    No, of course not. She won't be in the kennel with them for quite some time or I can partition if I need to.
    "When a man is proud of his dog and shows it, I like him. When his dog is proud of him and shows it, I deeply respect him. Gene Hill

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chewelah, WA
    Posts
    781

    Default

    I would play it safe and partition it NOW so she never shares direct kennel space with the boys. When she is in heat, you won't be able to kennel her next to them, and may have to separate them so they don't fight with each other over her. An intact female totally changes the game rules.

    Meredith

  6. #6
    Senior Member JJaxon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    402

    Default

    Are these Poodles, beagles, pointers, labs? All the same breed or are you planning on hybreds at a later date? You may want to rephrase the questions in your OP. Maybe even rethink the question before you ask it. jmho.

    I would keep the pup out of harms way, should the guys play rough. Keep her with you or crated for her safety if the boys get run of the place. She is small, and fragile. By the time she can stand her own ground, she'll be so much faster the old boys won't be able to keep up.
    HRCH TilHe CallsUsHome ~ Tilly

  7. #7
    Senior Member duk4me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    NE Texas
    Posts
    2,944

    Default

    threads like this make me think of past rtf beatdowns.

    Bring back caning regards,
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

  8. #8
    Senior Member Chuck Ward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chippewa Falls, Wi.
    Posts
    301

    Default

    Your boys will tell you when she's coming in heat !! I have a 13 year old male, 5 year old male, 4 year old male, 5 year old female, 15 week old female. All dogs are intact. Sometimes it get interesting but it all works out, I wouldn't change a thing. The different personalities and abilities are really neat to see and work with. Keeps you on your toes.

  9. #9
    Senior Member TexGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Posts
    237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JJaxon View Post
    Are these Poodles, beagles, pointers, labs? All the same breed or are you planning on hybreds at a later date? You may want to rephrase the questions in your OP. Maybe even rethink the question before you ask it. jmho.

    I would keep the pup out of harms way, should the guys play rough. Keep her with you or crated for her safety if the boys get run of the place. She is small, and fragile. By the time she can stand her own ground, she'll be so much faster the old boys won't be able to keep up.
    You are a strange person. I would think the photo and the name would have given you a clue as to the breed of dogs, if that was even relevant information.
    "When a man is proud of his dog and shows it, I like him. When his dog is proud of him and shows it, I deeply respect him. Gene Hill

  10. #10
    Senior Member TexGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Posts
    237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mwk56 View Post
    I would play it safe and partition it NOW so she never shares direct kennel space with the boys. When she is in heat, you won't be able to kennel her next to them, and may have to separate them so they don't fight with each other over her. An intact female totally changes the game rules.

    Meredith
    You are probably right, but I am not sure I follow all your reasoning. I realize that when she is in heat that adjoining kennels are no protection and there could be fights. Do you think the males might fight over her even when she isn't in heat?

    These are all Goldens, but we have a spayed pug that we got as a puppy. They barely notice her. The younger dog does his best to ignore her. The older dog will play with her like a puppy. Makes it hard for me to predict their behavior.
    "When a man is proud of his dog and shows it, I like him. When his dog is proud of him and shows it, I deeply respect him. Gene Hill

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •