The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bringing Female Pup to Male Kennel

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post

They might..... what are the ages and dispositions of the boys?
    They are 6 and 7 years. The older one is extremely gentle and loves to play with puppies. The younger one tries to ignore other dogs Did have one incident where he nipped my wife's obnoxious pug on the ear. The pug hasn't bothered him since.
    "When a man is proud of his dog and shows it, I like him. When his dog is proud of him and shows it, I deeply respect him. Gene Hill

That's just it Tex! As gentle as your older dogs might be, sometimes they can only put up with so much! I know if I had left my pup with either my older Chessie or the Lab, he would have managed to drive them crazy. Pup is little. It doesn't take much of a reaction to hurt or kill pup. I like Nancy Pal's example best. I could let my dogs play unsupervised in the dirt road we live on because none have ever been hurt. BUT I DON'T!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

I brought home a new little girl in August. I have 2 boys 4 and 6 at the time. Both neutered. Younger boy adored the girl, older boy bit puppy on face within 2 hours of being in the house. I do not outdoor kennel my dogs, they sleep in the house. The pup learned really quickly to stay away from older boy. Younger boy let's her tear on him and make him cry. I have to keep a leash on her to pull her off of him, he will not defend himself ever with her. She's just terribly mean to him. So I think you might have more problem with the girl being too hard on the boys. Keeping the dynamic intact can be hard. X-pens, crates and leashes can really help you keep the situation under control. As for heat cycles, that's a tough one. Some girls go in heat at 6 months. Some 18 months. Ask the breeder when the mother did, then you'll have a better idea of when to start watching. I check my girl every day. You can see from the photos, she thinks she owns my younger boy. He's like a possession to her.IMG-20120818-00347-1.jpgIMG-20121218-00250.jpg

I would def NOT house the pup with the boys in a kennel and be very cautious and observant of the boys behavior. I do put boys and girls in great big runs together , but I would not put my adolescent(17 months) in with my older aloof boy. It takes .02 seconds for it to go bad...
    A little story , a looong time ago I had a puppy, that I bred, come back for training at about 11 months old, he's a puppy , right? Put him out with my 4 girls, (nobody in season) and an adult male, in a BIG yard. About 35 minutes later I heard a hell of a ruckus , and went out to find the WHOLE PACK taking jabs at the puppy. Apparently there was a scuffle with one and the pack mentality kicked in and they all attacked him.
    I was fortunate with only one wound ,that required stitches ,on his side.
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

You should make your male dogs watch sesame street so they learn how to play nice with others.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Hmm every-time I've ever seen any grizzly old males introduced to a cute young female, they pretty much fail in love and spoil them terribly. Had a Big boy male Chessie fall pray to a little tan-furball earlier this year, the things he'd let her get away with, disgraceful. Might have to protect the boys from her. Just my experience with most "Any" breed .
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 05-29-2013 at 02:05 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by TexGold View Post
    You are a strange person. I would think the photo and the name would have given you a clue as to the breed of dogs, if that was even relevant information.
    HaHaHaaa now thats funny!
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

My "pack" would have worn a heeling stick out for that. I would call that agression, but thats just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    I would def NOT house the pup with the boys in a kennel and be very cautious and observant of the boys behavior. I do put boys and girls in great big runs together , but I would not put my adolescent(17 months) in with my older aloof boy. It takes .02 seconds for it to go bad...
    A little story , a looong time ago I had a puppy, that I bred, come back for training at about 11 months old, he's a puppy , right? Put him out with my 4 girls, (nobody in season) and an adult male, in a BIG yard. About 35 minutes later I heard a hell of a ruckus , and went out to find the WHOLE PACK taking jabs at the puppy. Apparently there was a scuffle with one and the pack mentality kicked in and they all attacked him.
    I was fortunate with only one wound ,that required stitches ,on his side.