The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bringing Female Pup to Male Kennel

Quote Originally Posted by TexGold View Post
    No, of course not. She won't be in the kennel with them for quite some time or I can partition if I need to.
    Sorry, your post was a little misleading, conjured up an image of new little pup being left in kennel with two adult dogs, horrors. As for kenneling her with them when she's older, might be problematic at some point, hard to say. They may all be best buddies, hormones may affect them, you just won't know until you know. Adding a third dog changes pack dynamics regardless of gender or being intact. Adding in her heat factor magnifies that aspect, but, lots of people manage intact dogs living together "co-ed". I probably just wouldn't kennel them together unsupervised, myself, and leave the socializing for when I'm around them.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    I hope you don't mean literally leaving a puppy with two adult males in one big kennel.
    I would expect some huge vet bills in your future. Likely at some point I would expect one male to kill the other but I bet that's not the only problem you will encounter. Best of luck to ya, but I would never have all the dogs in one kennel. Just my opinion. Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Lietzau View Post
    I would expect some huge vet bills in your future. Likely at some point I would expect one male to kill the other but I bet that's not the only problem you will encounter. Best of luck to ya, but I would never have all the dogs in one kennel. Just my opinion. Don
    WHAT???? My males, 2 intact and 1 not NEVER fight. The only one of 4 that has ever started anything with one of the others is my bitch both when she was intact and since she has been spayed. She has pulled crap with all my males be they younger or older than her intact or not.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

I had two intact males that lived in the house together. When there was a girl in heat, I kept them away from the kennel, under "house arrest" with each other. Never saw any issues, but I never let them close to the girl in heat.

Always better to be safe than sorry.

Meredith

Quote Originally Posted by Don Lietzau View Post
    I read stuff like this on here and really question the temperaments of some of the dogs. My boys are FABULOUS baby sitters, they adore puppies! While my dogs aren't strictly "kennel dogs", I do kennel more than one in each run when I go out because they like to lay on eacother. It doesn't matter what sex combination (unless a bitch is in season, obviously) as they all get along... or they wouldn't be here! When girls are in season, my boys hump eachother or suck eachothers ears, but I don't have any aggression issues, or would I tolerate it!

Anyway, to the OP.... Do your dogs LIKE puppies? Do they get along with other dogs? I wouldn't plop an 8wk old puppy out with strange adults and ignore them all day, but personally I do leave them with at least one adult when I'm gone (if I only have one puppy, otherwise I'd leave the puppies together). I have 4mo old bitch puppy right now who spends a good amount of time out in the paddocks with the big dogs and loves it! It's really going to depend on your dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
    I read stuff like this on here and really question the temperaments of some of the dogs. My boys are FABULOUS baby sitters, they adore puppies! While my dogs aren't strictly "kennel dogs", I do kennel more than one in each run when I go out because they like to lay on eacother. It doesn't matter what sex combination (unless a bitch is in season, obviously) as they all get along... or they wouldn't be here! When girls are in season, my boys hump eachother or suck eachothers ears, but I don't have any aggression issues, or would I tolerate it!

Anyway, to the OP.... Do your dogs LIKE puppies? Do they get along with other dogs? I wouldn't plop an 8wk old puppy out with strange adults and ignore them all day, but personally I do leave them with at least one adult when I'm gone (if I only have one puppy, otherwise I'd leave the puppies together). I have 4mo old bitch puppy right now who spends a good amount of time out in the paddocks with the big dogs and loves it! It's really going to depend on your dogs.

Why? They are dogs--I really question people who think that they will ALWAYS be wonderful/babysitters etc.... Things change, dogs get sick, age, don't feel good and so on. Bringing in another pack member does change the dynamics. Leaving puppies alone with older dogs, when you are not there to supervise is pure folly. Too many things can and do go wrong. A simple snap from an older dog can seriously hurt a puppy, even kill it. And it happens quickly.

To the op: I would be very careful leaving the males in the same run after you bring the new female into the pack. Watch them carefully to make sure there are no 'changing pack dynamics'. Remember if you are not there its hard to be "the boss/alpha". In a run where they can't get their own space or get away from each other--that can be a really bad situation.

Quote Originally Posted by TexGold View Post
    You are probably right, but I am not sure I follow all your reasoning. I realize that when she is in heat that adjoining kennels are no protection and there could be fights. Do you think the males might fight over her even when she isn't in heat?

These are all Goldens, but we have a spayed pug that we got as a puppy. They barely notice her. The younger dog does his best to ignore her. The older dog will play with her like a puppy. Makes it hard for me to predict their behavior.
    They might..... what are the ages and dispositions of the boys?
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

I have never had an issue with dogs fighting while in the same run. I have 5 dogs at my place, one 4 yr old neutered male, one 3 yr old intact male, a 2 yr old intact male, intact 14 month old female and a 6 month old female. Any dog can go in any run at any time and not worry me in the slightest. I routinely allow my 80lb 2 yr old male with the 6 month old female pup who is a whopping 35 lbs. He lays on the ground on his back and she pounces on and off of him. They all get along great and even had a female in heat in the adjoining run this weekend. Granted I was outside with them the whole time but I had 3 males in one 5x10 run with a female in heat right beside them. They also air together unsupervised in the airing yard. Maybe I'm lucky but I have never had issues from the males, its mostly the females getting too rough. Disclaimer, I never leave the dogs in the same runs overnight or when I'm gone to work. Other than that they could be anywhere.

I have never had a dog get hit playing in the road either-it could happen. That's why I don't take risks with my dogs, they don't get to play in the road-its a risk I can eliminate. Good for you never having a fight with your pack. I hope it continues. Until the OP knows how the new puppy effects his pack I would be careful and eliminate risks.

I have a male and female from the same litter in separate kennels next to each other. I had to build a wall to keep them from hooking up through the fence. It was her first heat. She was squirrely and he was out da box crazy for 3 weeks. Increased his food to 6 cups a day trying to keep weight on him. He was drinking about 4 gallons of water a day and peeing on everything. Next time she goes in heat he may be going back to the trainer for a tune up.