The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Repeat SmartWorks Training Program?

Default Repeat SmartWorks Training Program?

Hi Everyone!

I'd like to get a bit of advice on repeating the SmartWorks training from the beginning with my 4 y/o Lab. The 4 y/o was the first dog I ever trained, so I know I made many mistakes along the way. We now have a wonderful new pup and we are working through Evan's puppy program now. Next month she will start formal training using SmartWorks. Our 4 y/o lab is a wonderful "functional" gun dog, but due to my lack of consistent ongoing training he has become a bit lazy and apathetic to the basics. He is lacking the style and dedication he once had. For example, I forced fetched him, but now it requires two or three "fetch" commands to get him to obey.

Since I am starting the SmartWorks program from scratch with the pup, would it make sense to run my 4 y/o through the program again, including force fetch?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Regards,
    Erik B.

Quote Originally Posted by Erikben View Post
    ..... 4 y/o Lab....... I forced fetched him, but now it requires two or three "fetch" commands to get him to obey.
    Regards,
    Erik B.
    well,
    to refresh is a good thing. the 4 y/o will love the attention and time at your side.
    however, if I said the above to my old mentors first I would get a slap up side the head and then would hear the words
    "say it once, mean it, enforce it!!" don't nag your dog, don't say it 3 times, grab an ear!
    dogs do not get sloppy, handlers get sloppy.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Ken, thank you for that saying. I am going to make copies of it and put them with all of my training stuff so that I am constantly reminded that "dogs don't get sloppy, handlers get sloppy."
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    well,
    to refresh is a good thing. the 4 y/o will love the attention and time at your side.
    however, if I said the above to my old mentors first I would get a slap up side the head and then would hear the words
    "say it once, mean it, enforce it!!" don't nag your dog, don't say it 3 times, grab an ear!
    dogs do not get sloppy, handlers get sloppy.
    That is my position as well. Shine up what needs shining. Let me know if I can be of help as you go along with your pup!

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile