The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help !! Starting a 7 month old from scratch

Default Help !! Starting a 7 month old from scratch

Picked up a 7 month old BLF with excellent pedigree.
    Very little obedience has been done with her.
    Pup has lot of drive.
    Here is the problem: if you hold her by the collar or lead and throw a mark and then release on her name she doesn't know what to do !!! But if you just say hey hey and throw a mark with no restraint she hauls butt !!
    Brings bumper back to hand !! But throw a duck and she will retrieve and then go the opposite direction !!

I've trained several labs from pups but never starting at 7+ months
    What are the positives and negatives ??
    Suggestions ???????? I know to basically start from scratch but please give some tips.

Thank you for our help.

Best advice that anyone could give is to do some research and pick a training program that fits you and your needs. Follow that program as closely as you can but remember that at times every dog will test your patience so the best thing with a young dog is to keep everything fun especially in the beginning. It is a long road to a finished dog so go slow and have fun. Good luck.
    Brandon Cross

Sorry just saw the last part. On getting her to go on her name use birds and get her as wound up as possible and use little restraint and release her on her name while the bird is in the air. After a while as she gets used to going on her name hold he a little longer each time til she is sitting until released.
    Brandon Cross

I would start her from the ground up, in the kennel sitting for her food.

She'll get it! Try having the bird thrower say hey hey, then you release her on her name... if she doesn't go, give her some body language help, if she still doesn't go- use her name again, practically push her to go when you say her name... all depends on what she's doing. Time and Patience... Enjoy!
    Bob Owens
    President- Lone Duck Outfitters
    "Sharing Your Passion For The Unspoken Bond"
    www.loneduckoutfitters.com

I would be working on obedience first, with the drive she has enlist some help throwing marks while you control her. Start short and progress slowly as she becomes more focused and I would never throw ducks to her unless she was on a check cord or was conditioned to come on command, NO RUNNING OFF WITH THE DUCK!
    I ignore stupidity unless you bring it to my attention!
    Crystal Coast Labradors

CCL Return To Sender
    N Sana Te

Quote Originally Posted by txrancher;1109662[B
    ]I would be working on obedience first[/B], with the drive she has enlist some help throwing marks while you control her. Start short and progress slowly as she becomes more focused and I would never throw ducks to her unless she was on a check cord or was conditioned to come on command, NO RUNNING OFF WITH THE DUCK!
    Here, Here.
    HR True Grits Finer Edge

Treat it like you would a pup, start building a solid foundation. I would take her age out of the equation and assume she knows "nothing". I personally would start at the very beginning with basic OB and start working up.

Quote Originally Posted by obsessed View Post
    Picked up a 7 month old BLF with excellent pedigree.
    Very little obedience has been done with her.
    Pup has lot of drive.
    Here is the problem: if you hold her by the collar or lead and throw a mark and then release on her name she doesn't know what to do !!! But if you just say hey hey and throw a mark with no restraint she hauls butt !!
    Brings bumper back to hand !! But throw a duck and she will retrieve and then go the opposite direction !!

I've trained several labs from pups but never starting at 7+ months
    What are the positives and negatives ??
    Suggestions ???????? I know to basically start from scratch but please give some tips.

Thank you for our help.
    Start from the beginning, obedience, she will turn out fine. One of my best dogs I had I got at 7 months

A lot of dogs brought to pros come in at this age, frequently with bad retrieving habits and little training like this one. If the desire to retrieve looks like it's been established, we don't mess around with informal retrieves. We start right in with obedience and force fetching. Keep in mind that you are establishing a relationship with her as you train her, so you don't want to be heavy handed. Put the emphasis on success, with easy, low-conflict exercises to start and then gradually raising the bar.

Then when you get her retrieving, she'll be practicing good habits instead of bad ones.

Amy Dahl