The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lone star ticks

Default lone star ticks

when i was a kid with our 2 mutts we never worried about ticks. half the summer's fun was seeing who could pick off the biggest gray dog tick off our dogs. now that i've actually paid for a dog and invested time and money into it i am of course worried about every little thing. like my dad said the minute you pay for a dog the more trips to the vet you'll take.

anyway pulled one off the 15 month CLM today im assuming it latched during training in thick cover saturday. it was tiny about the size of a ball point pen tip. do i take him to the vet now for blood work? wait it out? seemed like most everything i researched said symptoms usually take 2-3 weeks or more to show up?

we usually do frontline during tick season but just hadnt got around to it since winter is over plus water work every 2-3 days. i am of course going to go buy some tomorrow now just curious best course of action.
    Last edited by blake_mhoona; 05-28-2013 at 10:55 PM.

Don't panic over one tick on the dog...Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

If I took my dogs to the vet every time I found a tick on them I'd do nothing but take my dogs to the vet. I use Frontline and it keeps 95% of the ticks from attaching but you'll still see one attach from time to time. I've even found dead ones attached or found dead ones in their kennels. I look at it this way,I'm doing all I can do to prevent a tick from attaching to my dogs and them get a TBD from it so I try to worry about other things.

i guess my worry was that we use to always pull off the grey dog ticks which seem to not carry as many diseases as the deer ticks. and this one was a deer tick

in the back of my mind i said oh no big deal but then i thought well maybe i should just investigate it a little more and then i started reading about all the TBD and started freaking out

I've only had to pull a couple off my dog. In fact, the last one was pulled off of me! I drop them in a Ziploc bag so that if I or my dog start to show symptoms, I can have them tested for TBD's. No problems yet, praise the Lord!
    El Matavenados

"Grey" ticks just mean they are engorged.....not necessarily what speci of tick.
    HOLD FAST
    Winter is coming
    Duck hunters like other duck hunters at a Holiday party, cocktail hour or a school play..........they hate each other @ 5am

Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    when i was a kid with our 2 mutts we never worried about ticks. half the summer's fun was seeing who could pick off the biggest gray dog tick off our dogs. now that i've actually paid for a dog and invested time and money into it i am of course worried about every little thing. like my dad said the minute you pay for a dog the more trips to the vet you'll take.

anyway pulled one off the 15 month CLM today im assuming it latched during training in thick cover saturday. it was tiny about the size of a ball point pen tip. do i take him to the vet now for blood work? wait it out? seemed like most everything i researched said symptoms usually take 2-3 weeks or more to show up?

we usually do frontline during tick season but just hadnt got around to it since winter is over plus water work every 2-3 days. i am of course going to go buy some tomorrow now just curious best course of action.
    Your Kidding Right????????????
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

The size of the tick doesn't mean that it was a Deer Tick either.

Ticks have three different life stages.
    They need a blood meal to advance from larval to nymph. And from nymph to adult.

A nymph is small. Like about the size of a ballpoint pen tip.
    A larva is tiny. Like so tiny that you need magnification to see it.

You are making my head itch...I hate ticks, hate even thinking about the little suckers...
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

TBDs???????????
    nobody can fully understand the meaning of love unless he is owned by a dog - Gene Hill