RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

GDG - who needs mittens? = Spinning Dog Fur Into Yarn

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  JJaxon 
#1 ·
found this in the VT Crags List. http://burlington.craigslist.org/zip/3832699197.html
Do not know the person.
Too funny not to show you all.
I'm gonna sweep up a sack of Chessie Hair right now.

a quote from the link-

I am offering my services free of charge to spin your dog's fur into yarn. I am a competent spinner with plenty of experience spinning wool, alpaca, mohair, yak, etc., and would like to gain more experience working with dog fur. You would be responsible for paying for shipping - the cost of sending the fur to me, and the cost of sending the finished yarn back to you.

Dog fur makes beautiful yarn and does not smell like an old stinky dog. It is thoroughly washed before spinning, as well as after. The soft undercoat is used to spin the yarn and is easily obtained from your dog by simply brushing. Dog fur from short haired breeds will not work. The length of the individual hairs in the fur needs to be at least 1 inch in order to be spun into yarn.

#2 ·
I am also a hanspinner (Jennifer) and there is NO WAY I'd want Labrador on me! Love my girls, but those hair tips are needle like! I will stick with wool! But I suppose a sweater would shed water well LOL

#3 ·
That chessie undercoat would make some great long johns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.