The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Hunting dog vs. Trial dog?

Default Hunting dog vs. Trial dog?

Generic question but do any of you train your hunting dog any different than your trial dog? Only reason I ask is because some drills are clearly for trial and not as practical for hunting scenarios. 95% of what I'm learning from dvd's and literature have their place in a hunting setup but this past season I hunted the river with a gentleman who didn't train de-cheat bc he didn't want his dog treading river current back to the boat. It was easier for the pup to get the duck, hit the bank and run back to the boat. Any other scenarios to consider when training hunting vs. trial?

In a river scenario, handle the dog to shore on the return. But I'd train the same for trials/hunt test as I would for huntin'
    Tom Rogers; Owned and Handled by Al Capone's Magic Patriot Son - Riot
    [FC/AFC Big Alfonse Capone of Mo-Kan x Dominators Magic Avalon]

R.I.P. Grandpaws FC AFC HRCH Taylorlab Downtown "Dusty" Brown MH & FC CFC CAFC Taylorlabs "Magic" Trick MH CD
    Riot's Career
    on EE

Ditto...after all trialing is only because of huntin'.
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

I bought a huntin' dog and got a trial dog.but my trial dog is a hell of a hunter.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

in a trial you want your dog to go get every bird shot by every gunner. your dog is to do this no matter how far the distance.

hunting public land on the tennessee river in jackson county alabama, you will have ten groups of "gunners" closer than the check down bird in a set of field trial marks. your trial dog will see them and think they are setting up for him. if they shoot a bird you do not want your trial dog to go and retrieve it!

as my good friend ken says, "get a rope!"

just kidding.....it's all the same.
    john mccallie

Sounds like sticking to my program and training every aspect would be the route to go in case you run into that once in a season fluke of needing "said" skill.
    Sargent Taylor's Hevi-Shot (Sarge)

Basics & most Transition are the same. It's the nuances and the scale that differ for many trainers. I train mine just alike. Even when I trialed heavily I hunted my trial dogs every season.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Train like a trial dog, don't forget the short stuff, Then teach a hunting dog the particular skills he'll need for your type of hunting. Trial training teaches them how too learn so when you need to adapt skills, you have the tools to teach them easily.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

"don't forget the short stuff" good advice. Living in Georgia most of our retrieves are less than 100yds. I have seen trial dogs who could step on some 2 and 300 yrd marks blow right by the short throws. Change it up to fit where you live most of the time. When I get ready to hunt rice fields in Arkansas I train the week before accordingly and stretch the marks and blinds.