The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Can you really teach an old dog new tricks?

Default Can you really teach an old dog new tricks?

Due to lack of funds I was never able to get my dog off to a trainer. He is now 16 months old he is hyper and crazy nearly out of control the harder I try to teach him the more energy he puts out. He has alot of drive I just cant seem to keep him calm long enough to get anywhere. Is there any hope?

That depends on you. He doesn't know how old he is. Treat him like the green beginner he is, and give him the gift of good Basics.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Thanks for the advice Evan!

No problem. I, and I'm sure many others here, have started dogs much older than yours with good results. You really don't know until you dig in and train. He may turn out great! Good luck.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

my two year old has been at the trainer for a month so far and I'm really impressed with how far he's progressed.
    That's my boy "Blue"!!!! Flyin High in the Passenger Side x Katie May of Belgrade

Never too late IMO. Sounds like he's got the drive, just needs to learn how to channel it and become obedient to command. Best of luck

I had a dog come through my kennel that was six before she started training and she turned out to be a great gundog. I agree with Evan, he doesn't know how old he is.

If you want to do it, take whatever time that it takes, and enjoy the process.
    You can both learn a lot

I started an 8 year old this winter, and we're doing just fine.

Measure your own progress as a team, and not someone else's

Help is just a short drive away over Strom Thurman Lake to Lincolnton.
    Sandhill Kennel or Baker Retrievers. You can probably work something out with them that works for you..
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

He is now 16 months old he is hyper and crazy nearly out of control the harder I try to teach him the more energy he puts out
    He needs a job!

He needs to channel that energy into working for you. I'd start by walking him off lead for a mile or two every day and doing on lead obedience at the halfway point and when you were done with his walk. Get the edge off that energy with some exercise then see if he won't settle down and listen a little better. After a few days he'll be looking forward to these outing bigtime. Start collar condition off of these after he has a decent understanding of working for you. Actually, walks like this would be a great time to add in some retriever work a la Hillman, once you have some control over your heathen.
    Last edited by Howard N; 05-30-2013 at 01:26 AM.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013