The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Holder ... do not offend Muslims

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    Here you go Coach:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_Muslims

As for Arab -Americans, a lot of us listened to Kemal Amin "Casey" Kasem's top 40. Dannt thomas was a famous Arab American entertainer from my home county and he founded the St.Joseph's Children's Hospital. Rep. Darrell Issa is a Arab American conservative tea party backer. ( Issa is Jesus in Arabic.

However, Danny Thomas was Roman Catholic, not Muslim. And his daughter Marlo still continues his legacy of St. Jude's Children's Hospital.
    Since Christians from Arab countries do not have the same kind of relationship with religion and state, they do not have a problem with the western culture and adapting to their new countries when immigrating.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by coachmo View Post
    I'm sure that Muslims and Arab-Americans have helped build and strengthen our nation but I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what it is that they have contributed to this cause. I realize this can be said about the contributions of individuals but I'm struggling with what exactly they have done as a whole. Can someone explain?
    As for famous Arab - Americans, the are a few around. Most of us at one time or other listened to Kemal Amin "Casey" Kasem' top 40 program. Entertainer Danny Thomas was from my home county. He also founded St. Jude's Children's Hospital. His daughter, Marlo is a well known actress. Rep. Darrell Issa is a Tea Party conservative. (Issa is Jesus In Arabic). Here is a partial list:

http://www.aaiusa.org/pages/famous-arab-americans/
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Quote Originally Posted by Terri View Post
    roseberry and coachmo, do you guys know the difference between an Arab and a east Indian? From your post I would say, no.

Terri
    terri,

i tend to get all them swarthy lookin' folk a little mixed up!

seriously, i was probably one of the earlier outsourcers of customer service calls to india in ~2,000. i am very familiar with their capabilities. in the past i also had many succesful east indian individuals on my leadership teams, in my i.t. departments(you can't have an i.t. department without a couple of Patels) and as outsourced consultants.

i do know arab and muslim store and hotel owners too. we are in the c-store biz. but we are not the hotel biz.

i know many arab and muslim doctors. my wife is an er/trauma rn for 30 years so we have opportunity to get to know them. many do er and family practice to pay off their "import fees" to their "bosses". i find most of the docs to be good guys and caring physicians. my wife has absolute respect for many muslim doctors......several others we know have absolute disdain for a good, assertive female nurse by the way?

i realize my stated opinions and poor spelling often give an impression of me as being little backwards and uneducated. it is odd that my vast life experience and statistical sampling of humanity has given me those opinions and brought me right back to where i started? thanks Dad.

sarge, danny thomas founded st. jude in memphis.
    john mccallie

Since Danny Thomas was born in Michigan and raised in Ohio I kinda viewed him as an American. Just a plain ole American. Silly me!

Coachmo, Danny Thomas was born in this country, but his parents were immigrants, bet they sounded foreign. You are the one who is putting labels on people, which plays into the hands of the left allowing them to then call racism. Many Americans are first, second, third, and so on generations away from being immigrates. The important thing is do they want to be Americans and live the American dream? Do not give credit or pass judgement on a person based on a group. I'm from German, Italian, and English (beside several other countries) immigrates. Do not blame me for the Nazis, Mafia, or the Boston Tea Party. Nor give me credit for discovering the new world.

As for outsourcing: the jobs all go to cheap labor. You could always blame John (Roseberry) , ( I think he is passing himself off as an American) since he took credit for being the first to outsource jobs. Not something I would be proud to share. Almost as bad as blacks in this country not realizing it was other Africans that sold their ancestors into slavery, but it is so much easier to blame slavery on descents of white Europeans.

(Roseberry)John it was not your spelling that made me think of you as backward , but your generalizations and labels. What is a swarthy looking folk? Where do you come up with "import fees" and "bosses"? Sorry to hear that the apple did not fall far from the tree because right now there seems to be one bad apple in my American Pie.

Terri

So Terri you don't think I realize Danny Thomas' parents were immigrants and probably sounded foreign? You stated, "do not give credit or pass judgement on a person based on a group". Isn't that exactly what eric holder was doing? Are you really trying to say that blacks only have themselves to blame for slavery?
    Last edited by coachmo; 06-03-2013 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Terri View Post
    Coachmo, Danny Thomas was born in this country, but his parents were immigrants, bet they sounded foreign. You are the one who is putting labels on people, which plays into the hands of the left allowing them to then call racism. Many Americans are first, second, third, and so on generations away from being immigrates. The important thing is do they want to be Americans and live the American dream? Do not give credit or pass judgement on a person based on a group. I'm from German, Italian, and English (beside several other countries) immigrates. Do not blame me for the Nazis, Mafia, or the Boston Tea Party. Nor give me credit for discovering the new world.

As for outsourcing: the jobs all go to cheap labor. You could always blame John (Roseberry) , ( I think he is passing himself off as an American) since he took credit for being the first to outsource jobs. Not something I would be proud to share. Almost as bad as blacks in this country not realizing it was other Africans that sold their ancestors into slavery, but it is so much easier to blame slavery on descents of white Europeans.

(Roseberry)John it was not your spelling that made me think of you as backward , but your generalizations and labels. What is a swarthy looking folk? Where do you come up with "import fees" and "bosses"? Sorry to hear that the apple did not fall far from the tree because right now there seems to be one bad apple in my American Pie.

Terri
    Terri, you come across as fairly judgmental for someone calling out another for their judgements.
    Bill Davis

Coachmo, you had the problem with the voice on the other end of the line at Sallie Mae. I just asked how you knew the person was Arab. Then you got into outsourcing. You and John were questioning who is an American and who is not an American. Making a judgement on voice and looks. Eric Holder was making judgments on people, but I never stated that I agreed with his actions. As for the blacks and slavery, my point is that people need to see who sold them. John (Roseberry) stated he outsourced jobs. That is a sell out, just as is selling a person into slavery. If I were black I would not be calling myself African American. I really do not favor all the labels before American. American should be able to stand alone. I really do not care which group has done more for this country. If you live here by birth or choice live the American dream. I always refuse to state my race or ethnic group on forms from the doctor or the government. I see it as a way to divide people not bring them together. That is why the race card is used, divide the people so they are easier to control. Bill I'm judgmental of actions because we can choose how we act, but I try not to judge the things that one has no control over: looks and voice would fall in the area I try not to judge. I will continue to judge bad behavior.

Terri

Terri, let me clear a few things up for you since you undoubtedly can see where I was going with my comment. I did make an assumption that the voice I heard on the call with Sallie Mae had a heavy middle-eastern accent because it did! I was making a joke (kinda, sorta about being hypocritical) about outsourcing because you often hear liberals use it to incite hate for companies that use this practice then to my dismay it seems our own government may be doing it. That's it, there's the whole point to my comment. Can you wrap your head around that? Just wondering. I also have never stated my race, culture, ethnicity, or any other characteristic that would separate me from anyone else except that I am a conservative. Not a Republican! I'll also go back and look to see if I stated the telephone operator was Arab. I'm pretty sure I didn't make such a statement. Terri, I checked and I never made any reference to the phone operator being Arab so I'm not sure of your argument on this. Again, if you are anyone else would like to point out to me how muslims or Arab-Americans have helped build America (remember the important word in the sentence is BUILD) please feel free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by coachmo; 06-04-2013 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    However, Danny Thomas was Roman Catholic, not Muslim. And his daughter Marlo still continues his legacy of St. Jude's Children's Hospital.
    Danny Thomas ( born Amos Muzyad Yakhoob Kairouz) was a Maronite Catholic. I meant to say St. Jude's instead of St. Joseph's which is a local hospital also dedicated to children --sorry for the confusion. Coachmo said he was not aware of the contributions of Arab- Americans to which I responded.
    Last edited by zeus3925; 06-04-2013 at 07:56 AM.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!