The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Famous Labs with White Spots on Their Chests?

Quote Originally Posted by Rnd View Post

75 % with a blaze??? I think you already have issues with your "Breeding Stock"

All the threads lately on what a Lab should look like "Bench vs Field" none suggested that a Lab should be spotted.

Jeff, being the historian and purest that you are I'm surprised you'd even ask that question.....Let alone consider reproducing that trait.

Flame on......I'll crawl back under my rock now

Rnd,

I thought the question might make for interesting conversation and an opportunity to learn if there have been Labs who became famous inspite of the "disability" of having a few white hairs on their chest. Since you are figuring percentages, there were three pups in a litter of seven with white on them. That equates to 42.857% of the litter. I was just "lucky" that all of the white spots happened to be on the girls.

You are welcome to your opinion and you may believe there are issues with my breeding stock if you wish. I think I'd rather have a few white hairs on my puppies chests than many other issues that could occur.

However, you have me reconsidering my position. Perhaps I should have bucketed those defective puppies and kept quiet so you folks wouldn't find out that my bitch has thrown puppies with white spots! I guess I didn't realize how serious an issue it was!

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

Quote Originally Posted by Swack View Post
    However, you have me reconsidering my position. Perhaps I should have bucketed those defective puppies and kept quiet so you folks wouldn't find out that my bitch has thrown puppies with white spots! I guess I didn't realize how serious an issue it was!
    That method certainly kept too many Chocolates from becoming notable.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Here's a previous thread, I like Miss Cleo's reply (#15) http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...ht=white+chest
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH ADC SGDC MGDC MSDC MSCDC CRNCL, Winchester SGDC CRNCL CGN, Shelby SGDC CRNCL, Spider, Kimber NCT, Verona, Missie, Jackie CGN, Victor CRNCL, Jet, Glitzy CRNMCL SGDC, Harvey & Viper
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

Ya know swack - if you can manage a 2xNFC on one of these little dotted bitches the price of a blazed pup ought to be pretty handsome in your line moving forward.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

I can remember asking Mrs Charley Bjork if FC-AFC-CFC Carnmoney Billy Jo was registered. Her very polite reply to me was "Yes, he is, & he's a pretty good dog." His blaze was as big as a very large dinner plate on a larger than life chest.

I think that if you looked at a lot of yellows carefully, you would see white on them more often than not.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Swack,
    Not famous, but I own a beautiful (to me) dark yellow bitch that, at 7 weeks, had a quarter sized white spot on the top of her head that disappeared by the age of 5 months. Also own a black bitch(3 FC siblings) that had a white ring around the base of her tail and a black male with a small white spot on his chest. The spots on all 3 went away.
    We are only as good as those that surround us.

Birthplace to:
    •FC-BAYOU TECHE TEX-'09 Nat'l Finalist
    •FC-BUTCH's DREAM CODE of TCR-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    •FC-DREAM DANCIN'-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH
    Dancin' Dreamer Kate-MH (•FC-"FINN",QAA-"Coal"-MNHofF, QAAs-"Tank", QAA-"Allie", MH-"Tease", QAA-"Hardy", MNH-Ruby)

RIP Sweet mama Dancy!!!

Not famous but a guy in our duck club owns a very nice black male that is GRHRCH with MN passes. A beautiful, very large dog that is well proportioned. Absolute poetry in motion at a test. I am not familiar with his health clearances or his pedigree but from a pure performance standpoint he is a machine. No breedings or planned breedings I am aware of. My buddy actually wants to breed for the blaze.
    Mark Land

a vet seriously told me, in the late 1970's that bring a young pup in and I will cut out the white spot and no one will ever not - true story
    trog

My blf has a little white spot on her chest. It got smaller as she grew. My ylm has a black spot on the back of his thigh, and one or two of his littermates had them, too, in different places. He has 10 pups, and none of them have a spot.
    Marlana Smith
    APR SHR TDK's Dusty Gunslinger JH - "Churchill"
    CPR Max's Black Diamond Girl Scout JH - "Scout"

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Quote Originally Posted by pupaloo View Post
    My blf has a little white spot on her chest. It got smaller as she grew. My ylm has a black spot on the back of his thigh, and one or two of his littermates had them, too, in different places. He has 10 pups, and none of them have a spot.
    this is good to know...i was curious if those dogs with spots passed it along to their pups - those that have spots that have bred their dogs (in additon to this one) please comment on IF/HOW MANY of the pups had white spots. Mine has a small white spot, but she sure doesn't know it....and not slowing here down. Neither of her GRHRCH parents or her NAFC grandparents had the white spot, so certainly curious how this spot comes about.

thanks