The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Famous Labs with White Spots on Their Chests?

Thanks to all who have responded. Rnd was the most irritating of the replies, but he at least has paid enough attention to label me as a "purist". That may be an accurate assessment. As a purist, all I want is perfection! However, I know those little white spots are way down the list of priorities. They won't be much of a factor in my selection. Maybe just a tie-breaker if there are two pups that are equal in other regards.

Carol, I can only do justice to one puppy at a time. I think I'll be able to make an educated guess at 7-8 weeks as to which of the females I favor. The title "Brood Bitch" won't be bestowed upon the little tyke at that time. She will have to earn it over time as she grows and learns, passes (or fails) health clearances and hunt tests, and is compared to other young bitches that are auditioning for the part. While I'd rather not have a white spot on a brood bitch, I've had more than one excellent Lab who possessed one. It's not a deal breaker!

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

FC Cookies Spot em Now ?
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by afdahl View Post
    Jake was also NFTCH/AFTCH; won the Canadian National Open in '86.

Amy Dahl
    He was very close when Westwind's Supernova Chief won the National in St. Louis in 1982

Pretty sure Abe sired many with the bolo spots. I would say he was a nice sire .
    The will to win is important,but the will to prepare is vital.
    Joe Paterno

I think it should be obvious that there's a genetic component to it. Or else it would not be showing up. Because it goes away on the outside does not mean it goes away on the inside. Is it bad? Depends on how much looks means to you. I would think a "purist" should not want any spots. Of course, we all have ways of changing our opinions when it becomes personal. See ya in the field. Harry
    "Sometimes we just gotta do what is right". Jerry 2006

See ya in the field. HPW http://www.sagaciouskennel.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cchristopher View Post
    Pretty sure Abe sired many with the bolo spots. I would say he was a nice sire .
    Bolo spots are on the feet, not the chest

I've been reading with great interest, and losing hope a little.

For some reason, I really want a black dog with a white diamond on his chest; I always have. My yellow has one--and definitely, not just a shading. When I discovered it, I considered it a very good sign. I would put the white diamond (and it would have to be the perfect shape and size!) last on my list of priorities, for sure, but if all other things were equal or impossible to determine, I'd take the one with the white spot.

Don't ask me why. If there's a reason, it's because of some odd firing in the synapses from a memory of a picture I once saw.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

NAFC-FC Dee's Dandy Dude.

Evan
    Last edited by Evan; 06-10-2013 at 07:38 AM.
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Thanks to all who have responded. Rnd was the most irritating of the replies, but he at least has paid enough attention to label me as a "purist". That may be an accurate assessment. As a purist, all I want is perfection! However, I know those little white spots are way down the list of priorities

Jeff, This is not necessarily aimed at you. But following this thread just because some great dogs had a blaze/star/spot on there chest why would we/you want to start a breeding program with that trait? I think those great dogs happened in spite of their spot not because of it..

When looking for field trial prospects coat and color come in way behind other traits.....IMO As hard as it is to get a pup in trial home why start behind the 8 ball???

My original post was not meant to be "irritating" but "provocative "

Randy

May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

Quote Originally Posted by Rnd View Post
    Thanks to all who have responded. Rnd was the most irritating of the replies, but he at least has paid enough attention to label me as a "purist". That may be an accurate assessment. As a purist, all I want is perfection! However, I know those little white spots are way down the list of priorities

Jeff, This is not necessarily aimed at you. But following this thread just because some great dogs had a blaze/star/spot on there chest why would we/you want to start a breeding program with that trait? I think those great dogs happened in spite of their spot not because of it..

When looking for field trial prospects coat and color come in way behind other traits.....IMO As hard as it is to get a pup in trial home why start behind the 8 ball???

My original post was not meant to be "irritating" but "provocative "

Randy

RND, I seem to recall some stuff about "Bolo Rings" rather than "Bolo Spots". This was when I was a dumb kid trying to get a dog to run a basic NAHRA water blind. I may be way off.

I sent you a PM.

(Now I'm a dumb guy about to turn 50)

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"