The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Famous Labs with White Spots on Their Chests?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    RND, I seem to recall some stuff about "Bolo Rings" rather than "Bolo Spots". This was when I was a dumb kid trying to get a dog to run a basic NAHRA water blind. I may be way off.

I sent you a PM.

(Now I'm a dumb guy about to turn 50)

Chris
    No sir you are not, I haven't read the Pm yet. That "white ring" on the chocolate dogs tail as puppies was an issue with new buyers. And hard to figure out at first. It showed up at around 7 weeks old and went away around 4 months. Many concerned new puppy owners. At one point we thought it came from Snake Eyes. (My chocolates were Snake dogs)

We are not talking about "Bolo" anything in this thread we are talking about spots/stars/blazes/ . Although acceptable NOT desirable... That was my original point...

Mr. Swackhamer knows where I was going with that response and HPL summed it up perfectly...

I think it should be obvious that there's a genetic component to it. Or else it would not be showing up. Because it goes away on the outside does not mean it goes away on the inside. Is it bad? Depends on how much looks means to you. I would think a "purist" should not want any spots. Of course, we all have ways of changing our opinions when it becomes personal. See ya in the field. Harr
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

My PM went to the wrong username the first time. I resent it.

I know Swack's deal was totally different. I was just thinking that MJH's post about "bolo" being spots, was something I remembered as rings on tails. Regardless, I think it is cool that so many labs are a solid color! So many other breeds are spotted, brindle, etc.

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Take a look at pictures of Labradors from 1800's. They have white on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Swack View Post
    RTF'ers,

I've recently whelped a litter of puppies and intend to keep a female as a hunting companion and potential future brood bitch. Of the four females in the litter three of them have a small white spot on their chest. Ideally, I'd rather not keep a pontential breeding bitch with a white spot, but there are a lot more important things to consider when evaluating the pups.

So, I thought it might help me put things in perspective if you folks could tell me about famous Labs who had white spots on their chests. Do you have any candidates for the list?

Swack
    Rnd,

Above is my original post with which I started this thread. Note the emboldened sentences where is said "Ideally, I'd rather not keep a breeding bitch with a white spot . . . "

The second emboldened sentence was asking for the names of famous Labs with white spots to help reassure me that there were some Labs who were great dogs in spite of having white spots on their chests, not because of them!

Maybe you should read the posts more carefully and not try so hard to be provocative!

You may be interested to know that selling pups to field trialers is not my objective. One of my goals is to try to preserve the best traits of what I call "The Original Lab". As pheona mentioned the progenators of the Lab had white spots, so it shouldn't be that big an issue for a purist with that goal.

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

You may be interested to know that selling pups to field trialers is not my objective. One of my goals is to try to preserve the best traits of what I call "The Original Lab". As pheona mentioned the progenators of the Lab had white spots, so it shouldn't be that big an issue for a purist with that goal.

If one of your goals is to produce spotted labs have at it....I don't think a blaze is a trait I would want to Preserve..

Randy
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

Quote Originally Posted by Swack View Post

Swack
    Depending on your target audience, white spots may be a marketing issue. I've run into a lot of members of the general public who believe any white at all means it is not a purebred Lab. They have a point; a lot of Lab mixes look very like Labs, but have white marks on chest and feet.

Amy Dahl

The bitched that just have the litter throw white spots in her previous litters? Does that trait run in their lines?

famous dogs. FC AFC Pinhurst All that Jazz has white blaze on her front. one of few chocolate females to title. She is litter mate to my chocolate male's mom. My dog has what Chris calls bolo on tail. You do not notice it anymore unless he is wet.

Rnd,

You are either trying to get a rise out of me (again) or just dense. Never have I said I wanted to breed or perpetuate Labs with white spoted chests. Are you saying that a Lab with a white spot is unworthy to be bred?

Amy,

I understand that there are many folks who would rather not have a Lab with a white spot on their chest. That is why I said "Ideally, I'd rather not keep a potential breeding bitch with a white spot . . ." I hope you would agree with the rest of that sentence where I stated, " . . . but there are a lot more important things to consider when evaluating the pups." Frankly, the "target audience" for my breeding is ME! Those who like what I do should like my pups. I haven't had any complaints. By the way, is that a white spot on the chest of the Golden in your avatar?

kcrumpy9,

The dam had one pup that had a white spot on her chest in her last (first) litter of seven. The bitch and her mother are both without a spot, but her grandmother had one, as did her great-grandfather. Those old dogs went back to some "questionable" bloodlines; mostly linebred on Super Chief and River Oaks Corky. An outcross to those evil British Labs helped to decrease the white markings, but once I went back to similar American field lines I got a bit of white again.

I'm kind of surprised that some think this is such a big deal, but considering some of the things I've seen on RTF I guess I shouldn't be surprised!

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

i have a fairly bred bitch that is 28 months. she has five white hairs on top left of her head.

one of my training buds says i put the gray there by nagging the bitch too much!
    john mccallie