The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spendy IRS conferences - a hearing this week

Default Spendy IRS conferences - a hearing this week

This week there is a hearing covering the money the IRS has spent on expensive conferences -- including the Aug 2010 conference in Anaheim, CA, that cost taxpayers $4-million. (Nightly suites for $1,500+.) We've been seeing on the news the Star Trek spoof video IRS employees made that cost $60,000.

Remember the lame excuse for the slow processing of applications was that the IRS was understaffed and underfunded ? It appears the IRS had more fun spending taxpayer money on making videos and putting on conferences than the GSA did.

The newly appointed Acting IRS Commissioner Danny Warfel had this to say: "Many of the expenses associated with it were inappropriate and should not have occurred."

The IRS is sure getting a lot of mileage out of the word "inappropriate".

Who at the IRS was minding the store when all this expensive frivolity was happening?

Someone high in the IRS had to have OK'd spending the $4million. In Aug 2010, Doug Shulman was the IRS Commissioner. Maybe he was in a meeting at the White House and no one told him they were having such a fun conference in Anaheim.

Helen

I also recall some remark published by Werfel that this was left over from another era. I think that's the new "code" for, "It's Bush's fault."
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Believe me someone has to approve expenditures all the way to the top of the IRS.
    I ignore stupidity unless you bring it to my attention!
    Crystal Coast Labradors

CCL Return To Sender
    N Sana Te

Quote Originally Posted by txrancher View Post
    Believe me someone has to approve expenditures all the way to the top of the IRS.
    probably the same folks who approved the GSA conferences in Las Vegas
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    I also recall some remark published by Werfel that this was left over from another era. I think that's the new "code" for, "It's Bush's fault."
    I would say that its "code" for "Its Shulman's fault".

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    I would say that its "code" for "Its Shulman's fault".
    And Shulman was appointed by ... Bush
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    probably the same folks who approved the GSA conferences in Las Vegas
    The GSA is at it again.

They are withdrawing early from a lease (with very good rental rate) at a cost of $250 million ... to move the facility to a new location at a higher rent! Doing the same with Coast Guard headquarters at a cost of another anticipated $30 million (some question about the early withdrawal clause on that one).

Where do they find these geniuses?

How can Congress even begin to ask ANYone for more taxes when there is this kind of waste going on?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    And Shulman was appointed by ... Bush
    Yes he was appointed by Bush, which is not the same as blaming Bush, however in some cases is a valid defense.

Obama has been the man in charge for going on five years. Anyone in the system is all his. He has had ample time to replace anyone he wanted to replace. Get off the golf course. Show up to the office before 10am and do the damn job.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Obama has been the man in charge for going on five years. Anyone in the system is all his. He has had ample time to replace anyone he wanted to replace. Get off the golf course. Show up to the office before 10am and do the damn job.
    Interesting how you tend to do a 180 depending on the President.