The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spendy IRS conferences - a hearing this week

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    I'll be quite miffed once the same group starts doing my health care.
    are they going to audit me and give me a colonoscopie at the same time?
    I think a lot of people believe that an IRS audit is already much like a colonoscopy
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Mean Trick Bill!!!
    poor feller is re-reading your 4,926 rtf posts right now looking for inconsistency.
    he will ether find some or be a registered republican by morning
    HaHa!!!!
    Bill Davis

Mean Trick Bill!!!
    poor feller is re-reading your 4,926 rtf posts right now looking for inconsistency.
    he will ether find some or be a registered republican by morning
    Don't have to do any searching Ken, I just mention GWB and Bill will come in saying that the man never did anything wrong it was always his chief advisers fault...flippity floppity....

Did anyone else see Werfel trying to give a definition of "accountability" in the hearing? He didn't have one. Lerner's accountability consists of PAID leave. So, extra paid vacation (for being derelict, and possibly criminal) is part of his definition of "accountability"? In what parallel universe does that definition hold up?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    Don't have to do any searching Ken, ....
    in my 7th grade math teachers voice.......... "show your work"
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Did anyone else see Werfel trying to give a definition of "accountability" in the hearing? He didn't have one. Lerner's accountability consists of PAID leave. So, extra paid vacation (for being derelict, and possibly criminal) is part of his definition of "accountability"? In what parallel universe does that definition hold up?
    I have it on now, the personal stories of the groups under the thumb.
    the mentor group guy was very good. well spoken.
    Bet big O was hoping for rednecks clinging to guns and bibles!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Looks like Geithner also had the POTUS' back in pre-election 2012. Evidently Tom Coburn had asked for an accounting of IRS conferences, and this is what he got:

Treasury responded to Coburn’s 2012 letter in which he asked for a full listing of all conferences attended by department employees during 2010-2012. The department sent him a list of conferences attended by 50 or more employees between Jan. 1, 2005-June 1, 2012.

“On that list, there were only five conferences, with a total cost under $500,000,” Coburn said. “Only one of these conferences took place during the time period requested in the letter. None were related to the IRS or its employees.”

On Tuesday, a report from the Treasury inspector general for tax administration showed that the IRS spent $4.1 million in taxpayer money on a training conference in California that featured luxury rooms and gift giveaways.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...#ixzz2VP0Y2p1o
    With Geithner's track record, I'm not surprised. And now he's conveniently gone from the administration when the truth comes out.

It was reported that Holder said he's not ready to step down as he has things he wants to do yet. Sheesh! I can hardly wait to see what else he needs to do. Then once he finally does get out of DC, we might finally find out what erroneous information he gave everybody.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Gerry-
    IRS employees are covered by a union and this means a rule-based process to fire them. Lerner was asked to resign and she refused. Werfel then moved her to adminstrative leave pending firing her. That's paid leave. The risk to her is that firing her places her in "bad status" which impacts any future hiring and may also impact her retirement check. Simply resigning would not have these effects. So, OTOH she must feel confident that she'll be exonerated but on the other hand, if she's not, she'll likely be gone forever and in disgrace. IOW, don't make too big a deal over the "administrative leave" issue. It is what it is....a necessary first step.

The really funny thing is that this all started with her own (possibly) inadvertent remark that Friday afternoon.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

I am guessing that Lois Lerner will ride the paid administrative leave as long as she can and that she will make every attempt to avoid having to testify. Perhaps she is hoping for immunity in exchange for testifying. She will avoid being fired and then will resign with full retirement benefits. This woman is no fool. She knows what she is doing and has lawyers to advise her.

I am presuming that folks following this aspect of the IRS scandal are thinking Lois Lerner was a key player. Her signature was on many letters asking for donor names. This is against the law, but is it a criminal offense? What would the punishment be, or would there be any punishment?

What about those above her? Who gave Lois her instructions in the Ash. DC office? She certainly had a boss. Was her boss Joseph Gant/Grant who was Deputy IRS Commissioner or is there someone in between? What about Sarah Hall Graham? Who knew and condoned what was happening?

I am hoping Lois Lerner talks. But then she may take the 5th again and ride this out until she decides to resign.
    Last edited by helencalif; 06-06-2013 at 12:01 PM.

The really funny thing is that this all started with her own (possibly) inadvertent remark that Friday afternoon.
    Actually, the story was reported that she "planted" the question she was asked, so that she could make her "disclosure" and have it appear "innocent", i.e. the narrative of "rogue" agents in Cinci. Miller (or Schuler?) admitted to that, adding that "it was not a good idea" after all.

Did their strategy misfire? Did they know the whole thing would come out in the IG report and figure they could palm it off on a few low-level employees? It appears that the low-level employees weren't willing to go quietly under the bus.

This sequence of glossing over and blaming "someone else", and then having the story unravel seems to be a pattern that is developing. Perhaps Klein is correct that these people who are concocting these situations are truly amateurs in many ways.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com